Join Strat-Talk Today

Gotta get a Flying V

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jul 7, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

vsthbks.png

2. TremoloJoe

TremoloJoe Strat-Talker

I saw a Gibson custom shop gold top v (not many made) for 2000.00 dollars on FB and it was absolutely mesmerizing!

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Sometimes I'm in a guitar store, I pick up a V, and start to jam.

Then suddenly I realize, "Wait! This is not a Gibson!!"

I get confused.

usavmntaod.png

4. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

I bet. From what I’ve heard, they (Flying V’s), are very thick sounding. Specifically, in the mid range.

5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I dunno, they're kind of expensive...

flying-v-plane-passenger-seats-wings-1200x630.png

JB74 likes this.
  6. NewStratLover

NewStratLover Strat-Talk Member

Vs are cool. I want an American Dean. I've had a couple Gibsons and I liked them..
    Of course, if you want to sound like this, use his pickups, amps and effects.

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I used to have one just like that.
    [​IMG]
    I now have a newer one with set neck and 24 frets.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CB91710 and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

The Ironman \m/ :( \m/

Saw him many times at BBQ festivals.

9. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

someones cup runneth over....I need to join the darkside...

sam_in_cali likes this.
  10. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

11. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Owned this one since the mid 80s....

KRAMER.JPG

12. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

I'm definitely a Fender guy, but occasionally one feels the need for as Gibson-style guitar: a mahogany-esque set-neck guitar with humbuckers, to do that Gibson-y sound. I've got two, and they are an SG and a Flying V. While one can (and many do) draw subtle distinctions between the sounds of various Gibson models (LPs vs. SGs vs. Vs vs. Explorers vs. etc.), in my view (at risk of blasphemy) they are minor variations on the same broad theme, and I suspect you may find as great or greater variations in tone between different models in the same lines as across the different families and shapes.

My Flying V is an Epiphone '58 reissue in korina. When I was a kid I saw a picture of one of the original Flying Vs in a magazine, and was instantly smitten. While Gibson could easily produce a version of that guitar for a reasonable price, they have for decades failed and refused to do so, but Epiphone came out with one that has now been in production since the 90s. The main substantive difference between them is that the Epiphone version has a maple neck. Again, that probably makes some difference in tone, but it's still in the basic Gibson ballpark. (And, Gibson for a while was making even higher-end Les Pauls with maple necks, so there.) Of all the electric guitars I have, I've owned that Flying V for the longest time---I bought it back in I think 1998. For a while I put GFS Dream 90s in it (which are humbucker-sized single coil pickups) for some added twang (as pictured below); right now it has a set of Gibson Burstbucker Pros. There was a time when it was my number one go-to guitar, and actually it was a lot more comfortable to play than many people seem to think---as someone said above, just put the notch of the V over one leg and it takes a position like a classical guitar. A bit different, but not uncomfortable. And, the natural korina V doesn't scream metal like some none-more-black version. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) In 2000 I got my favorite Strat which became my new #1, but I kept the V, both for variety and because my wife likes how it looks.

[​IMG]

My SG is a mid-2000s Special. Its main distinction is a pretty chunky neck, much moreso than my friend's '61 reissue's neck, which is quite skinny. But even a no-frills SG like that has the key ingredients: all-mahogany, humbuckers, Tune-o-Matic. I prefer the contoured top of the SG to the sharp edges of most Les Pauls. I got a Vibramate for it, which allows mounting a Bigsby without the need to make any new holes in the guitar:

[​IMG]

Nick-O and davidKOS like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.