Granddaughter going off the rails - ukulele content

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wrighty, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

So, the usual 'what to get the grandchildren for Christmas' discussions have resulted in eldest granddaughter (8 1/2 years), announcing that she's been learning ukulele at school and would like one of her own to practice on at home.

Please don't judge her, she is young and doesn't understand..............................

Anyways, on the basis that she lives far enough away not to bother me when she's plucking the thing, and that anything musical (musical?), is to be encouraged, I've agreed to seek out a suitable instrument.

My problem is, I don't actually know what a common or garden ukulele is. My local shop has concert, tenor and soprano models and, likely, others as well.

What is generally recognised as being 'a ukulele'.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

For 8 1/2, it would depend on the size of her hands and fingers.....find out what scale/size they use in her school.....

USUALLY when it's kids they learn on the smallest scale - SOPRANO Ukulele.....

Tenor is low, it's closer to a guitar.....

A lot of adults use 'concert' which is in between, it gives a bit of a longer neck and more space between frets for full grown hands or sausage fingers.....

[​IMG]

simoncroft, tery, PonyB and 2 others like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have a soprano (generally considered "standard")...length is 21"/53cm +/-. That is the size I bought all my grandkids on a Christmas past.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

When the grandkids were learning at school at that age (probably the same programme too, way too short) they were using ultra cheap soprano ukes.

simoncroft likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

A great help, thanks. I have daughter enquireng at the school but I'm thinking they're all on sopranos. 22 of them, bet it sounds.....................er...................em......................well, loud!

6. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I have a little 6-string ukelele which is basically a small, nylon-stringed guitar, tuned with a guitar's intervals. If she were to play that, her skills would be transferable to guitar one day. Of course, the fingerings she has learned so far would not apply, unless she's looking for some sort of deeply atonal thing.

7. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Senior Stratmaster

When I was trying to be trendy a few years back I bought a concert size lanakai uke (think I spelled that right). Surprisingly good build quality and sound for a relatively cheap instrument.

Caddy likes this.
  8. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master

I got a soprano ukulele as a gift one Christmas and ended up spending almost a year playing ukulele nearly exclusively. I also bought tenor sized ukulele. You can really deep dive if you want to with these things. It can be a genuinely serious instrument as much as it seems like a toy initially.

Phiu-x and Malurkey like this.
  9. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I have a tenor uke by Caramel that I purchased from Amazon. It is a great instrument though not very expensive and it came with everything you would need (I'm still looking for the talent to play)....It was a great deal for a little over $100 but I just noticed the package now costs $159.....wow..

I have bought this model for the grandkids too and it is so much easier to learn on than the mini Squiers that we bought for them...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V1BP2VP/?tag=strattalk05-20

here is a quick pic of mine....

IMG_20211118_060627340_HDR.jpg

T-Rey likes this.
  10. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

I have three ukes and really like them. I have a soprano, concert and a tenor. Of the three I like the concert size the best. It still has more of the typical ‘uke’ sound than the tenor and more room for fingering than the soprano (but I do really like the sound of the soprano).

I’m fairly certain that what they would be using at her school would be sopranos.

BTW, The Beatles were big fans of the uke. They traveled with them and played them on planes, in hotel rooms and in parks. There are quite a few pictures of them playing ukes.

11. 2010cb

2010cb Strat-Talker Silver Member

If going concert size, I’d have a hard time passing up one of these by Alvarez:

61E64413-E692-4E6F-B68C-625F243E37CE.jpeg

T-Rey likes this.
  12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

THIS is ukulele playing. Your granddaughter should look up Taimine Gardener...

vlxerdon and Bowmap like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Wow..that looks like an Ovation uke.....

crawdaddy likes this.
  14. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks, it does, thank goodness it doesn't have a bubble back.....It was very hard to find an inexpensive left handed Uke and this one was pretty highly rated and deservedly so....

15. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I bought granddaughter #4 a uke a couple of years ago. She kept wanting to play a guitar. The ukulele was the right size

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

Great advice and good to know others have been here before and pulled through! Teacher has advised that they use sopranos initially but that some later go to tenors. An orchestra is on the cards, my granddaughter is in the second group they’ve put together. We’ll see. Thanks again guys.