Graphtech saddles to help Strat warble?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mjh36, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Yeah tapping on guitar with my ear to the back of the neck, I can hear my trem springs lightly if I take the foam out to pad them, other than that sounds ok just dull thuds. Listened behind the nut, and behind the micro-tilt, all solid.

Sorry whats the best way to post an audio clip here?

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I have to use my I pad on video mode, upload it to my YouTube channel, and then hit ‘share’ then copy the link and paste it into the box where you reply to the thread. Not as bad as it sounds, once you get used to it.

Mjh36 likes this.
  3. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

Take the guitar to a box store guitar tech. Tell them the issue and ask for a quote to fix it. While you do this place the guitar in front of the tech on the black/spongey thing the cradles the neck for repair work. It’s usually on the counter. Show them the issue while you play. Hand the guitar to the tech. It’s infallible, guitar players can’t turn down a guitar...
    Be friendly, smile a lot, ask a bunch of question, and listen.
    Fix it yourself if your tight on money.

No offense, but I’m beginning to suspect that this is something simple that you have overlooked.

I can’t think of any possible issues that the posters here haven’t already mentioned. You need a knowledgeable person to look at this guitar in person; or, reread the thread and double check everything.

JJ119 and Mjh36 like this.
  4. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Hey thanks man, I like that strategy! But you're right, I kinda just need someone to FIND the problem, then I could fix it probably. Unless it's something catastrophic or a full fret job. Otherwise, I have basically taken this thing apart and inspected and reassembled it, plus tried some new saddles, new strings, etc.

The only thing I can't do is I wish I had other necks/bodies/bridges lying around I could swap around without buying, to see if if it's one of the issues.

Sent the saddles back today, and made an appointment with a local tech repair guy who's got good credentials as far as schooling/experience. I should have an update next week. I'll try and post a sound clip before then.

JJ119 likes this.
  5. GreyTempest

GreyTempest Strat-Talk Member

Well in all my years as a tech, i thought I had it figured out. But then again, i haven't worked with many bridges with offset saddles.

But you learn something new everyday.

IMO, my gut feeling still insists the problem lies in the bridge for whatever reason.

Mjh36 likes this.
  6. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Ya I agree. Even though I can't nail it down, I feel it's bridge related too. Or bridge-to-body-to-neck resonance or something happening. I thought new saddles would work, because little pieces of paper in the saddle grooves helped. I almost ordered a new bridge, but instead of going farther down the new hardware hole I'll be patient and see what input this tech can give me.

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would have bet on the roller nut or a truss rod issue, but without hearing what you describe as a warble, and without being able to examine the guitar, it could be anything. Take it to a good tech and let them sort it. It will be money well spent.

Mjh36 and JJ119 like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I’m struggling with ‘warble’. Is it a fluctuation in volume or pitch?

JJ119 likes this.
  9. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

It's a pitch fluctuation I would say, bout to put up a audio link.

10. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Here's that audio clip. Sorry it's with headphones up against the mic of my tablet. You get the idea. I played G,D,A,low E on the 12th fret and above, just picking some notes, some on the 22nd fret. You can hear the shaky notes. I end with 4 notes on the high E because it rings good and clear.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  11. Spudman

Spudman New Member!

Someone already touched on this, but the truss rod is the only thing you haven't ruled out yet.
    I have a guitar that the truss rod is a little loose in and I get some odd noises. Try tapping the back of the neck up and down the length and maybe shaking the whole guitar
    to listen for any rattle. The other thing is the nuts on the tuning pegs. Make sure those are snug.
    That's about all you have left.

Mjh36 likes this.
  12. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Ya I gave those a shot already no luck. Actually I almost wish I had a rattle I could hear in my neck then I'd know the problem lol

13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Play it clean. You can't hear anything woth all that modulation going on.

14. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Sorry I don't know why I didn't give a clean version as well. Watch the volume but I think it's ok.

I played G string frets 15-22, D string frets 15-12, then A string frets 15-22.

15. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

The other thing i note you haven't done is eliminate all other variables.
    Have you tried on a different amp? different channels on your current amp? different EQ?
    Playing in a different room? turn amp around? Change cables? Direct to amp with no pedals? These are cheap (i.e. free) to eliminate as causes. You said you'd used new strings - have you tried changing the gauge?

16. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Yeah I checked all that. Definitely not an electrical thing. This problem has been around a long time on the g string, doesn't matter the gear. I would just play around it. It wasn't that bad, normal strat warble on a couple places. But things are just now getting kinda worse, on more strings etc.

17. longboard blues

Ok - then something has deteriorated. things getting worse indicate progressive change, by definition.

As you've replaced pretty much everything , with no luck, it seems as though the only part you've not changed is the one that is actually one of the most fragile on your guitar - the roller nut. Think of how many components are in that, compared to a standard nut, and then think how old that part is. Me, i'd get a bone nut, or even a cheapo one, and drop it in. If it's not that, then it's unlikely to be a faulty component - as you''ve pretty much changed them all - so it's a set up (or compatibility) issue. But as it's deteriorating , it seems more likely to be a component.

18. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I only replaced the saddles as far as hardware. So it could be anything. If this is happening only on open strings then yeah I would think it's the nut. Theoretically, if a note on the 22nd fret is having issues it should eliminate anything before that, instead pointing towards the bridge or perhaps something else as the issue. I'm sure there's exceptions though.

19. longboard blues

yeah, i re-read and i made a mistake - i thought you'd replaced more stuff. Have you tightened the block into th bridge? Are the knife points badly worn (or the pillars)? are they lubed? And even down to seemingly silly things - have you tried putting the trem springs in different holes - if something is hanging on a burr, you'll get weirdness.

I had a ringing on my 94, tried foam under the springs, which helped ,but i had to actually stuff the springs with foam down the holes in the end.

the point remains - if something is getting worse, a variable has changed.

Mjh36 likes this.
  20. longboard blues

also - tried blocking your trem? Just to see what happens?

Mjh36 likes this.