Graphtech saddles to help Strat warble?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mjh36, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

New sound clips with Gotoh bridge. Clean and distortion. Low E to high E, frets 12-15 just as an example. You can hear it clear up on the high E notes. But other than that it does it all over just gets faster when you go up the neck.

2. adrianb

adrianb Strat-Talk Member

Man, i'm seriously rooting for you to find a solution to this problem.

So far you've eliminated the following:

1. action
    2. pickup magnetic string pull
    3. bridge
    4. saddles
    5. nut
    6. spring vibration

This is something i'd probably expect from a cheapo Squier like mine and not a pricey Fender like yours. I also missed the part where you said each note on the G string does it -- i take small consolation in that my guitar doesn't have it that bad.

I'm wondering if loose frets could cause this. What are you going to try and eliminate next? The neck?

3. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

notes played on the 12th and 13th fret on the low E string are the only issues I hear. But your didn’t play all the notes with the same intensity. Have you taken a fret rocker (credit card) on those high frets? 3 frets at a time, does the card teeter totter (rock) up there? Try it between every string.

4. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Usually, neck resonances only affect certain frequencies so it is very unlikely to be the source of the problem.
    I know you've already tried a lot of things but if you don't plan to give up, I'd suggest to go through some of these again.
    Try increasing the action by saddle alone significantly just to see what happens. Try running the string from the plate to the nut as straight as possible and make sure to install strings without twisting them. Good break angles behind the saddle and nut might help. What happens if you use a softer attack picking up and away from the fretboard? Does it sound the same on other amps - rooms?

5. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Ya I'm not sure what to do next. A new deluxe neck from Fender is $599 and I don't even know if that would work, but it's the only thing I have left.

I live 10 minutes from Warmoth, and I could get a new neck for $250-$300. If that doesn't work, I could then get a new body and try it with my original Fender neck and hardware. And if that doesn't work, well, I'd have a new second guitar basically, and I could try and fix this one another day or sell it/part it out. Which sucks because like you said it's a good guitar to have something like this persist. I don't even want a new guitar I was saving for an amp, but I don't wanna keep throwing money at this thing not knowing if it will be fixed.

6. Kimex

Kimex Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Try to move the G-string saddle a little back. then you need to raise the string a bit. I do not know if it helps but the distance at the G-streng saddle does not look typical to me.

7. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Ya I've checked no high frets. The clean clip you can't hear it, but it's very apparent in the distortion clip.

8. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Hey thanks. I've tried everything you said to exhaustion already. As far as picking attack, I can hear it even if I barely pluck the string, it's still there, obviously a little quieter though. And yeah amps/rooms/pedals sounds the same.

9. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Well, there is certainly something that causes the beating. At first hearing it sounds like magnetic interference but then again a string's sound is composed of several waves so it can be hard to diagnose sometimes. When did this start happening? Was it always there? This guitar is obviously modified, so if you go back and rethink the possible changes you might find the answer there.

10. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Ya bought it new and only changed pickups until the Gotoh 510 bridge just now. Other than that nothing has changed. I always felt the g string was a little more problematic than some other strats, but not as bad as these sounds clips. And not on other strings as bad as it is now. So ya I dunno probably gonna try a new neck or body.

11. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

The frets might be mostly level, but the high ones can still be incrementally too high.
    I didn’t listen to the distortion clip, just the clean one so I could actually hear the noise. I can hear the low E string hitting higher frets on those two notes.
    It’s fret buzz, or at least that’s the sound I hear when you play the low E on the 12th and 13th fret. (Maybe the 11th fret too)

I’m not suggesting you do a fret level based off a comment from an online forum. But if you measure with a notched straight edge, or use your best judgement with a sawed off 24” Home Depot yard stick. I think you’ll find you have some fret height issues up there.

*note: you’ll have to remove all string tension and adjust the truss rod to get the fretboard perfectly flat to measure this. You would need to google the details on this measurement if you’re not familiar with it. Too much to type.

12. Mjh36

Mjh36 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I know how to do all this and have leveled and crowned my frets earlier this year. Pics on Page 6. Please check out the distiortion clip if you haven't because the clean sound doesn't tell the whole story.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:25 PM
  13. adrianb

adrianb Strat-Talk Member

You could go for cheaper replacement necks (Allparts, Ebay). Just for the sake of troubleshooting and experimentation. If the problem still persists then you'll know it isn't the neck and you wouldn't have lost too much.

Mjh36 likes this.
  14. GreyTempest

GreyTempest Strat-Talk Member

I'm just going to go out on a limb here with a suggestion.
    I remember when I just started out doing repairs, i had a customer with a similar issue. It's just that the buzzing/warbling was more apparent on the middle 4 strings. I did everything and nothing got better. Back then, the compound fretboard necks were gaining popularity and it hit me to try to radius the last 10 frets to be gradually flatter as it gets nearer to the bridge (ie; 9.5" ,10", 12", 14" all the way to 18" at the 22nd fret).
    It was a pain in the ass to do, but it finally solved the issue and the guitar played amazingly. I never had another guitar which came in needing the same fix. At least until your story came along.

So perhaps you would want to consider sending your instrument to a trusted tech who would be able to take on the task of gradually radiusing your last few frets.. At least in my opinion this would save you from buying a new neck which may or may not fix the issue.

15. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Just thought about this. I’ve long ago had a tuner that had a rattle. Something inside the tuner or the key or key shaft had a loose part that couldn’t be tightened. Since you have already gone through so many things, you may as well isolate them one by one. Mine didn’t make noise on all positions and was worse when certain frequencies were going. It’s a thought.