Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Graphtech String Saver Saddles - won't fit my MIM

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Crazybayman, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Crazybayman

Crazybayman Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    I know there have been posts on this topic in the past, however they are pretty dated. So here goes.

I can't stand the stock saddles that come on the strat. The little height adjusters are uncomfortable when palm muting. So I'm looking to switch them out for new saddles, ones that are smoother and more comfortable for palm muting. Black in colour is my preference.

So I recently purchased PS-8000-00 Graphtech string savers, with a 2-1/16" string spacing.

Unfortunately, the saddles were slightly too wide. My string spacing is (seemingly) 52mm, which is slightly less than 2-1/16". The PS-8000-00 string spacing is 52.73mm according to the package. Even though I could actually fit in the screws and saddles, that extra 0.73mm was just enough to throw it off. The saddles didn't sit straight. As I added each saddle, they became more crowded and splayed out, to the point that they were blocking the string holes in the bridge, making it impossible to slide the strings through.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture before returning the saddles.

Is there another product out there that has a bang on 52mm string spacing could do the job?

Or is there something I can do to make them fit?

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I think you can sand this type of material easily. A bit of sanding, on something dead flat, on each side and that should be enough.

Crazybayman and henderman like this.

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Fender makes different length screws for the saddles to solve the exact issue you are having with the palm. Just order shorter screws if yours are sticking up and hurting your hand.

velvet_man and Crazybayman like this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It sounds like maybe someone screwed up, and you got the 2 7/32 spaced saddles in the wrong package.

SSJR likes this.

5. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    That would be much more than just 0,73mm too wide if it was 2 7/32 saddles...

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    That or a shim in the neck pocket. 5 minutes work, lasts forever, no expense. To fit the replacement saddles, sandpaper on a flat surface, rub the edges of each saddle until it fits, take it slowly and keep test fitting.

Stratoskater likes this.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    is the spacing on the mim the same as mia standards? they fit fine on my strat plus and my 93. but they are the offset kind.

8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    The saddles are easy to sand down a few thousandths of an inch on each side as mentioned, I have done it with success to make a set fit in my PRS bridge that were to big.

I would say with 320 or 400 grit you would only need a few swipes on each side to make them work and sit straight.

9. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    I hope so! That would present the easiest solution. Was looking forward to incorporating the graphtechs.

10. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    True. That would be almost 4mm in the difference.

11. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Unfortunately for me, I believe they are a bit different. Would be so much easier if they were the same!
    Thanks, I might try that out if I can't find anything to fit out of the box.

12. Scottz

Scottz Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Littleton, Colorado
    Never mind, the set you have should fit according to the website

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Crazybayman likes this.

13. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France

14. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Yeah weird to say the least. Is it possible the bridge itself is off? I.e. holes tapped for the saddles in the bridge are slightly off?

15. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Turns out I did take a few snaps. Pay no attention to the goop left around the volume knob. My old man gigged with it for a while, and he kept hitting the volume knob. It drove him nuts so he actually taped the volume knob with packing tape.

Attached Files:

usul1978 likes this.

16. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    These saddles seems good for a 2 7/32. It's not just a 0,73 mm too much.

Did you mesure the exact width of one ? Maybe with a caliper ?

Did you check the reference on the box ? Maybe you wasn't sent the right ones...

Crazybayman likes this.

17. Crazybayman

Nov 16, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Confirmed - they were in the wrong package!

I went to another music store and purchased the same saddles. These ones fit this time.

SO much better, especially for palm muting. Thanks again for all the input! 20171120_232100.jpg

Smelf36, Ebidis, 1980 and 2 others like this.

18. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Aah ! Much better !

Crazybayman likes this.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Here's what I use on ask of mine. Turret are the most comfortable saddles I've found to palm mute with and this is the cheapest I've found them.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332441803353
    I currently have them on 7 guitars now, 6 strats and one Tele.

Crazybayman likes this.

20. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Sorry, i didn't read an the way to the end to see that you got it resolved before I posted.

Crazybayman likes this.