Great Bass Players

jeremy blaze

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 29, 2009
Madison, IN
I am shocked it took so long for Les Claypool and fleas names to be mentioned.

If you are not a big Claypool fan, I encourage you to look up Les Claypools fancy band. Very unique and one of my favorites right now. The fancy dvd is amazing.

ZippityZippity

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 31, 2009
texas (all over)
my best friend is my younger brother, and he is a bassist. So whenever I show him some cool stuff by SRV, he'll show me something Jaco, whenever I show him his some bonamassa, he'll show me some stanely, and the process continues for a good few hours till we feel like making some music of our own instead of just sittin in front of a computer screen.

I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned Marcus Miller yet? I've always really like just his feel. I recently saw a documentary on Miles Davis, and loved the stuff they did together.

Im also a big victor wooten fan. Really love his view on music. Can get a little to hippie/granola for me at times, but I still like it and find it interesting.

67Strat

Strat-Talker
Jul 22, 2009
Denver
You guys should all hang your heads in shame!!!!

Look, the best of all time is still playing:

Carol Kaye.

Nobody alive has played bass as many sessions or on as many hits as she has. And she's still the best bass player going and would be my first call if I needed bass.

If you haven't heard of her - first off shame on you, and second, go Google her and educate yourself. She is the living legend of electric bass.

This guy knows his stuff, Carol is and was the best ever.

Recklessdave

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 18, 2010
YORKSHIRE
MY PERSONAL FAVES:

PHIL LYNOTT - THIN LIZZY, JOHN DEACON - QUEEN, PINO PALADINO, MARK KING, PAUL McCARTNEY, THE GUY IN CHIC (FORGET HIS NAME).

NOT A FAN OF THESE BASSISTS WHO YEARN TO BE A GUITARIST AND WIDDLY WIDDLY AWAY FITTING AS MANY NOTES AS POSSIBLE IN EACH BAR - THAT'S NOT A BASSISTS ROLE IN A BAND. ITS TYPICAL LOOK AY ME LOOK AT ME GUITARIST TAPPING!!!!

Stratplayer

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2009
Vermilion, OH
My two favorites were always Billy Sheehan and Chris Squire (their sound is the best IMO too), and I also like John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters, Stanley Clarke, Gene Simmons, Michael Anthony (formerly of Van Halen), David Ellefson of Megadeth, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue, and Randy Coven. I'm sure there's others I like that I'm not thinking of right now...

jflintmac

Most Honored Senior Member
May 2, 2010
Canada
Here's another vote for Geddy Lee.
He looks like he doesn't even realise that he is playing the bass. He is just singing away!
Never looks down.

capt_goodvibes

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 28, 2009
Land Down Under
The amazingly beautiful Ozzie, Tal Wilkenfeld

Also
Doug Wimbish
Maceo Parker
Marcus Miller
Larry Graham
Bernard Edwards
Phil Lesh
Cliff Burton
Roger Waters
Chris Squire
Bootsy Collins
John Paul Jones

capt_goodvibes-albums-stuff-picture3939-tal-wilkenfeld.jpg

srv4fr

Strat-Talker
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Although not as flashy as Entwhistle or Lee...

I've always liked Tommy Shannon of Double Trouble. He was always so overlooked IMO because of Stevie, but that dude is spot on and walking all over the place behind the leads. He's a great player.

Glad to see someone mention Tommy Shannon. When I read this thread initially I saw everyone I would have mentioned except him. Tommy's great. Rock steady and soo tight with Layton on drums. He walks some pretty cool patterns too.

I always loved his descending bass line vs Stevie's ascending rhythm pattern in Pride and Joy. And the bass part that he'd do when Stevie would break at the end of "couldn't stand the weather" to introduce the band is pretty cool too. Saw it on Austin City Limits. So +1 for Tommy. :)

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
I don't know how good Tal Wilkefeld really is in the big picture of bass players, but I was totally blown away by her skills on the Jeff Beck vids I've seen. Don't forget the guys who are really proficient on upright. Christian McBride played with Pat Metheney at a show I saw a couple years ago and holy sh.. can that guy play.

Don't lets forget Bootsy either. Dunno skills wise but he's a really creative guy.

woolleydick

Strat-Talker
Oct 20, 2009
Sliema, Malta
Tommy Shannon of double Trouble. Aside from being part of the rock under SRV's boots he was also nice enough to sell me one of his old amp's so he gets my vote on 2 counts!

ToneRanger

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 8, 2009
Area 51
I'm a fan of a lot of the obvious guys – Lee, Squire, etc, - but I remember after being a fan of Zeppelin for years I went back one day and paid especially close attention John Paul Jones' bass lines – wow. Honestly the power and “heaviness” of Zep was 80% Jones and Bonham with Robert and Jimmy just riding the bull those guys laid down underneath. Listen the Presence sometime – incredible how locked in those guys were.
I remember a recording session I was on and our bassist was young and green – he was a guitarist that had recently switched to bass. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for him our producer was a bassist, so poor Adam bore the brunt of some pretty tough criticism early on for following the guitars and not locking in with the drummer. The producer had us sit and listen to various tracks off of Presence and note how perfectly in sync Jones and Bonham were – definitely an eye opener…

fidgeh

Strat-Talker
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Away from rock bassists I think that Chris Wolstenholme of Muse does a good job in contributing to the overall sound of the band.

fieldhdj

Strat-Talk Member
May 17, 2010
The Hills
Great thread. I believe it is Rhonda Smith who is touring with Jeff Beck right now - at least it was Rhonda at the Tulsa show I attended. She's another great player who deserves all the recognition she can get.

bettsaj

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 10, 2010
Suffolk, UK
Paul McCartney , Phil Lesh and of course Jaco Pastorius as well as many already mentioned.

+1 for Paul McCartney....... Highly underrated. Essential Bass playing recommendations are:

Something - The Beatles
Rain - The Beatles
Penny Lane - The Beatles
Getting Closer - Wings
Old Siam Sir - Wings

Although some of those songs are not instantly ones you would think would be good for Bass playing..... When was the last time you listened to the track and disregarded EVERYTHING but the bass?...

Some of the bass playing in Penny Lane is absolutely all over the place, notes everywhere.

Rain is just awsome playing in my book

houseguitarshop

Strat-O-Master
Nov 5, 2009
USA
hendrix

not hendrix as a bass player, but I really like the bass lines that Hendrix plays to.

all the bass lines keep the melody as well as the beat with drums while hendrix plays all the crazy stuff.

I agree with whoever said that led zeplins bass and drummer held all the melodies and beats while jimmy and robert dabbled on top.

I think that is one of the keys to a great band, a bass player and a drummer who can hold a solid meldoy and beat so that the other players can go to town on the rest.