Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Greco club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Lumi71, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    As there is already a Tokai club, and I love old Grecos at least as much as the old Tokais, I had the idea of starting this thread. Show what you have got!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    muso.greg and felis like this.

2. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    Greco SV800

1979, copy of ES 339. Great guitar! Fret edge binding, 3 piece flamed maple neck, mop inlays, braz board??, ...
    A keeper.

14-315880009_2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    muso.greg, Jamie, felis and 1 other person like this.

3. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    come on Greco owners and lovers!

felis likes this.

4. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Strat-Talker

Dec 30, 2016
    Earth, USA
    If I can share my old SS-800 Greco Super Real?
    It comes with a story also as to why it ever left me.

This one was purchased to be a keeper, but I had a chance to buy a 1965 Gibson SG Special, so it was sold for my first vintage Gibaon purchase.

Well, I won the 1965 Gibson guitar at auction. During the transport, I was contacted by the stores owner and their local sheriff.

Apparently the guitar had been stolen from a collection and the sheriff advised me not to open the guitar.
    After many calls and understanding the entire story, I was in no position to take a special guitar away from another man.

The guitar was supposedly given to this gentleman from a member of a certain band who shall remain nameless.
    His son had taken and sold the guitar while he was out of town.

Anyway, I told the Sheriff that I would be opening the guitar and playing it.
    He said that would be okay if I just agreed to send it back in a timely manner.
    So after a week of absolutely loving it, I had to send it back to the original owner.

So I had to say goodbye to both SG's over this and have been sad to play every SG since. Josh

*I have very few photos of either guitar.*

Attached Files:

felis and Lumi71 like this.

5. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany

6. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    No Greco here, but I'm supportive. :thumb: ;)

Lumi71 likes this.

7. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Strat-Talker

Dec 30, 2016
    Earth, USA
    Thanks...

I even have a 2016 Gibson SG Standard at my house that I pretty much refuse to play right now.
    It is an okay instrument, but I have a feeling my next SG is still years away.

Even tried contacting the buyer of the SS-800, but he had sold it by then to someone who now loves it.
    I also had a 1982 Mint Collection EG700 if I can find the pictures, I played it for over a year.

Also, some later 1980's Greco SG's and such. Even had a Grandy (Tokai) SG that was exactly constructed as a Tokai SG-60 would have been constructed, it also played great. Josh

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    felis likes this.

8. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    I love the SG Customs, and I thought over getting a Greco SG for myself.. But I am really no SG player, unfortuanetly, and have enough guitars that don't get enough playing time.

9. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    However, I am a LP player and love Deluxes.
    This is my 1982
    Greco EG500GS with Super Real headstock logo. Dont know why...
    While it was a low end model, it is one of the best sounding lps I had. Only 3,8 KG, and I love the top carve

CIMG3683.JPG CIMG3682.JPG CIMG3696.JPG

Mr C and felis like this.

10. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    We are also open to non- Greco owners :) Question, etc. about Grecos are welcome as well.

felis likes this.

11. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Strat-Talker

Dec 30, 2016
    Earth, USA
    That Goldtop is lovely... I have always been a fan of mini humbuckers since I had them in a Burny Firebird.
    I believe the Firedbird was a Burny FB-90. It was a great playing instrument and I wish I had it also. Haha

Somehow I talked myself out of it due to the Firebird having a long tenon neck joint vs a neck through body design like the original.
    These days, I am looking to Greco Super Real Strats/ Teles, and earlier Tokai models.

After searching, and searching, I decided I only needed one maple top Les Paul with humbuckers.
    Down the line, I am still looking for the Tokai LC-100 or LC-110, or Greco Super Real EG1000Custom, Greco SS-800 (again), mostly all mahogany bodies with ebony fretboards.

A pre 1985 Tokai SG-60 would be great in cherry if anyone has one? :) Josh

felis likes this.

12. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    Ok here's mine, I recently posted a NGD thread in the other guitars forum but I like showing off..;)

IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG

Lumi71, Mr C and felis like this.

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    My '79 EG700, you can just make out my AV62 hiding in the background...
    IMG_0374.JPG

Jamie and felis like this.

14. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Lol...Greco club and not one strat a dozen posts in.....

15. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    I saw this thread, and as my SE600 was sitting in it's case next to me, I took a couple of quick phone shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very under appreceated guitars (this one is a real gem in every respect)

16. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany

17. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany
    is this one with 3 pice neck or one piece?

18. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2014
    Germany

very nice Greco strat. Had/have Greco Lps, Teles, Semis, but never a Strat. Always wanted to try one, but no I have enough guitars to be honest... How does it compare to others vintage MIJ Strats? Tokais for example?

19. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    This one compares pretty favourably with the Tokai Springys that I have played, though generally the Tokais (7okais) had a slight edge on them in terms of finishing and vibe (not least because of that great decal of course).

It took me a while to get this one set up to my exact preference (the trem springs seem to be a bit stronger than on my other Strats.... ?).

I played this one at rehearsal yesterday (fantastic!).

Slightly heavier than my JV's.

I gave an SE500 Spacey Sound to my son recently; great burst and a chunkier soft V profile neck.

20. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    From all accounts it's an EG 75 1990.

Cheers