"Green Craig" Partscaster!

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
I've made a few threads on my partscaster build (see here and here). But, I thought I'd start a whole new one up just to chronicle my progress.

I'm not trying to save a ton of money on this build...broken down, I could probably have bought a complete used Squier for less than I'll wind up paying when all is said and done. But, it's a learning thing. The store where I work sells guitars and skateboards. I was hired on as the skateboard guy, but I cover the music side when things are slow, so I thought what better way to learn about what I'm selling than to build a guitar?

So...I read something somewhere about some famous Strat player saying you should name your guitar after the color it is, and the person you bought it from. Since it's green, and I bought most of parts from Craigslist, I went with Green Craig...and also, my handle on here.

So, without further ado, I present Green Craig as she sits now:
1101122240.jpg

That is:
-Mid 90's Squier Affinity Body
-Mystery neck (Possibly MIM 50's reish)
-2 Fender AlNiCo pickups (bridge and neck) and 1 Fender Ceramic pickup (middle)...The pickups aren't in the picture I took.

My guitar guy uses Bourns pots and switches, and GHS strings so that's what will be in my guitar. I don't know what he has planned for tuners, but I trust him enough to make a fair assessment.

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
Whew. Finally things have slowed up enough at the shop that my boss/guitar guy is preparing to work on the ol' Green Craig fairly soon.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with...we were chatting it up this weekend at work, and he said that the holiday rush is finally nearing a close. So, hopefully, I'll be able to use some of my tax refund to pay it off and maybe get a little Roland amp or something along with it.

Yes, I do realize (as I said in the first post) that I could've easily bought a brand new Squier for the money I'm putting into this project, but the upside is that I will be getting slightly upgraded components and a cool "custom" color to boot.

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
Can't believe it's been 10 years. Attached is the pic as described in the first post...mishmash of Squier take-off pickups, Bournes pots, orangedrop cap, Switchcraft jack, and Oak Grigsby switch, held together with milsurp teflon-coated wire and a Jimmy Vaughn wiring scheme. Mystery neck with a fat rosewood slab fingerboard and Ping tuners...still haven't added string trees.

Attachments

• 104_2963.jpg
    104_2963.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 104_2964.jpg
    104_2964.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 104_2965.jpg
    104_2965.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
HnUfz8w.jpg

And here she sits as assembled today: Upgraded to Rose pickups (see my forum profile for the exact makeup) and a chromed metal pickguard. The volume pot broke so that got replaced. I may have replaced the tone cap at some point as well, but I don't remember...it's been so long since I took off the pickguard.