Join Strat-Talk Today

Greetings from a Strat convert

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dippah, Nov 19, 2018.

1. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone, newbie here!

A bit of background... My name is Dino, and I've been playing guitar for 20ish years now. These days I'm mostly a bedroom guitarist, but I still get in at least 30 minutes of playing every day. So, not necessarily a newbie when it comes to guitar playing, but a bit of a newbie when it comes to Strats. My first electric guitar was a ridiculously cheap Strat copy that was an ugly red full of sparkles. It was so bad that the setup, apart from the regular stuff, included a Ouija board and a goat sacrifice, and it still played like it was exclusively made with a chainsaw. In the end, I just got rid of it, saved some money and got an Epiphone Les Paul. That Strat knock-off scarred me so much that I stayed away from anything Strat related for the better part of two decades, mostly playing single-cuts.

Then, I visited a music store and tried out a MIM Deluxe in Vintage Blonde because I really liked the way it looked (I tried other Strats, some cheaper, some more expensive, but this was the one that called to me). That was a year ago.

My other guitars now have, you guessed it, a year's worth of dust on them. :D Well, not really, I do clean them and even play them for a minute or two, but I keep coming back to that Strat.

I've modded it a bit, to better suit my needs and style, but it's absolutely my favorite guitar to play. Right now, I have no plans for getting more Strats, but I have been thinking about a Tele sometime in the future.

Anyway, lovely to be here, and I look forward to chatting with you! :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome
    Yeah, a strat is special. You're gonna like a tele too

dippah likes this.
  3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

dippah likes this.
  4. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster

Hi Dino, welcome to ST.

dippah likes this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome in, glad you could join us.

dippah likes this.
  6. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to Strat Talk, Dino.

dippah likes this.
  7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Hey, welcome Dino.

Your background story sounds very familiar. I have some dusty guitars and a pair of spotless Strats.

I have to warn you, your going to like a Tele as well. The Strat will always win you back but when I’ve got my Tele plugged in, it’s pretty hard to beat.

Bob the builder and dippah like this.
  8. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Hi Dino, welcome to ST, you should get along fine here as you have a sense of humor, own a MIM and are planning on a Tele, obviously good taste:D:D:D

dippah likes this.
  9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome Dino!

dippah likes this.
  10. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talker

Welcome !!

dippah likes this.
  11. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to S-T! Glad to have you with us.

dippah likes this.
  12. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

"No plans for getting more Strats"... HAHAHAHAHA. That won't last long.

Welcome to the addiction. I to grew up with an affinity for single cuts and actively stayed away from anything Strat like. I'm not sure how it happened, but now I have five and the others, as seems to be common, gather dust.

Let's see some pics of that beauty you have.

dippah and Andrew Wasson like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

A Tele is a great next guitar. Then after you have the main three (Tele, Strat, and LP) you'll need an SG and an offset. And then ... :)

I've tried a lot of Strat mods but the one that I keep using is the Armstrong Blender (second tone pot is converted to blend from SSS into HSH, only wiring change no new parts). Then I also swap pickguards out for a reverse Hendrix angle bridge pickup.

The Tele mod I use frequently is the 4-way switch and rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the rear.

Things to think about as you noodle away on that Strat.

dippah and Andrew Wasson like this.
  14. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

Of course!

I have an LTD Eclipse which sort of covers my LP needs. Having played a few Epiphone and Gibson Les Pauls, I found that the Eclipse fits me better, if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, Les Pauls are beautiful guitars, but I'd never play them that much.

My guitar is a MIM Deluxe with Vintage Noiseless pups which I like quite a bit, except for the bridge one. The bridge was replaced with a DiMarzio chopper, which I can split with the second tone, as it's a push-pull. That tone pot has also been lowered to 500k, instead of 1 Meg, as I found myself rolling off the tone at all times — this is a master tone. The first tone knob is actually a neck/bridge blender that I made from one of the original pots, having converted it into a no-load pot. Originally, the deluxe has a push-push switch to add the bridge to the 1st and 2nd position, but after getting a lovely Decoboom pickguard, I couldn't make myself drill into it, just to add that switch back (plus the switch mounting system is rather dubious).

Not really a mod, but I had to change the nut, as the original one wasn't cut that well (now it's a Tusq nut).

The most drastic mod was removing the original 2-point vibrato system. It was fine, not perfect, good enough, but the vibrato arm annoyed the hell out of me. I tried teflon tape, those little arm tension springs, but the darn thing wouldn't sit wherever I left it (which is what I like).

So in the end, I got rid of the thing, got a Gotoh NS510, replaced both the post sleeves and the posts (I know that isn't necessarily needed, but I figured I might as well), and now I've never been happier. It's a much smoother system, and the arm behaves exactly the way I want it to.

Things that I'm waiting on are pickup covers because I want them to be white, and I've ordered Tele-style knobs.

Andrew Wasson and problem-child like this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Awesome mods! You really gave it a lot of thought and it looks fantastic. If I may suggest a solution to your push switch issue, I’d suggest getting an S-1 pot/switch for that. I just ordered one for my Strat because I did buy one of those push buttons with the mount that requires a hole between the tone controls but I didn’t want to drill my guard either. I like the Strat S-1. It goes where the volume is and looks pretty stock. Push the middle of the knob and it switches.

dippah likes this.
  16. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! The truth is, it might seem as if I planned the whole thing well, but my guitar was a disaster area for most of the year I've had it with me. I kept changing things, throwing things in and out. At one point, it had a pickguard with the Steve Lukather EMG set (which I loved and kept to put into some guitar in the future), but it wasn't what I was looking for this instrument.

I figured the whole Deluxe thing is already a mix of traditional and modern so I wanted to keep that balance. I love the aesthetic of the bridge single coil so I didn't really want a full-sized humbucker there. Having tried out a Richie Kotzen sig Tele, I decided The Chopper was the pickup for me.

I've considered the S-1 quite a bit, but for now, the blend pot does what the old switch did, in fact, it does more, as I can adjust how much of the pickup I want, so that covers it for now. What I might use the S-1 for in the future is to switch that blend between parallel and series.

But really, after all the experimenting I've done, I'm truly happy with what I have (apart from the few purely aesthetic things like the currently non-white knobs and pickup covers). I feel like I have the guitar for me, and I don't want to mess too much with it, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

That sounds very familiar. My Stratocaster’s are much more reserverved but I went through a very similar project with my first Telecaster a few years ago and have a drawer full of parts as a result. At one point it was similar to the Kotzen Telecaster. I’ve got a Chopper T waiting for another Telecaster project. What a great sounding pickup or is. I ended up leaning more towards a Baja Telecaster but also added a Clapton preamp to it with a true bypass. So much one can do.

Anyway, your Strat sure turned out nicely and it’s truly customized to your specifications.

dippah likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.