Greg Lake, The Strat Master

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by IMMusicRulz, May 10, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talk Member

67411FAE-B73A-4CA1-A898-4CD6E94A671F.jpeg 6C7C7E50-7E95-4308-9F10-F6F7371308C8.jpeg Not sure if you guys knew this, but Greg Lake was a Fender Stratocaster player for sometime.

He owned a blue Fender Stratocaster and a modified sunburst Fender Stratocaster. Not sure if he ever used those Strats on any Emerson Lake And Palmer or King Crimson recordings.

Here are the pictures

And the blue Strat

It’s possible, however, that these guitars were probably just on concerts. He did, however, mention once that Gary Moore gave him a Fender Stratocaster. I know Greg Lake only used a Rickenbacker 4001 bass on tours and never in the studio. He mostly played Alembic and a natural Fender Jazz Bass guitar. He was known to have bought guitars and then resell them, so who knows what happened to his Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitars. I know he owned several Martin d28, Martin D35 and Gibson J200 acoustic guitars.

I wish I could have met Greg Lake and Keith Emerson. What lucky men they were!

2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I did actually. A box set signing event at a Circuit City in 1993 or '94. Carl was there too.

ELP.jpg

Trilogy01s.jpg

3. IMMusicRulz

Cool! My uncle Mike gave me the first Emerson Lake and Palmer album and I also recently picked up Trilogy at a bookstore recently.

I also owned Love Beach, but sold it when I started downsizing my record collection.

Scott Baxendale and StratoMutt like this.
  4. StratoMutt

It was truly an honor to meet ELP. Nice guys really. Keith was the clearly the least bit happy about being there. I exchanged some stupid awkward banter with Greg, less with Carl. I made my appreciation of their music well known to all.

They happily signed all of the LPs and CD booklet stuff I brought.

Was kind of sad to see Prog Rock "Gods" hawking a box set in a US retail store that is no more, when 20 years earlier they were selling out show after show. Long before the smartphone, I have no images.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  5. StratoMutt

6. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Brain Salad Surgery.

First record I bought, was around 12.

Still have it:thumb:

7. PeteGeordie

PeteGeordie Strat-Talker

That was the first record I bought without listening to it first.

I was more careful after that ;)

8. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Greg Lake was a super underrated guitar player!!! Guitar work on “From the Beginning “ is one of all time favorites as far as acoustic guitar and the way he played it. R.I.P Greg

@StratoMutt - you lucky dog o_O

9. IMMusicRulz

Nobody ever messed with the sheriff

StratoMutt likes this.
  10. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talker

Saw them in '78 or '79. Amazing show- hard to believe only 3 people made all that music onstage! I remember Carl Palmer's drum solo the most. At the time it was the most incredible concert I had seen. The level of musicianship was stratospheric.

11. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talker

I was lucky enough to see ELP several times back in the early to mid 70s, including once in a concert hall. I quit going to their shows when they got so big they had to use sports stadiums. Terrible acoustics ruined their sound. Well. I was a little put off with the flying pianos and spinning drum kits too...

12. StratoMutt

I know it. :)

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    ELP is definitely an acquired taste... in fact, I'm the only person I know who actually appreciates them (beyond their more "mainstream" stuff I suppose). I tried to get a couple of people to understand what made songs like "Tarkus" and "Tank" so extraordinary and was greeted with a less than positive critique from them.

So needless to say I was made fully aware of how I differed from my peers and have decided to keep things like that to myself ever since - except for you guys of course - you're the only one's who truly understand me...

`

14. PeteGeordie

PeteGeordie Strat-Talker

I appreciate them.. BIG fan. I was listening to Tarkus just the other day. But went off them after BSS. That album was OK to me but nothing great

StratoMutt and IMMusicRulz like this.
  15. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

In 1986 Greg Lake was the first Rock Star to buy one of my custom acoustic guitars. I built a limited run of 15 Texas Sesquicentennial Model guitars that year with the Alamo and TEXAS inlaid into the headstock. Out of the 15 of these Texas guitars Greg Lake, John Mellencamp, James Burton, Joe Walsh, Jorma Kaukonen, BJ Thomas, all got this model. James Burton played his in the famous Roy Orbison B&W Nights concert video and Jorma used his in his first instructional video.

When Greg Lake came into the dressing room to see the guitar he immediately played the intro to “From the Beginning” which was insane for me at the time. He was nice and one of the greatest white male singers of his generation.

on a side note: Keith Emerson had a EPIC meltdown backstage when the pet gerbil he toured with got lost.....yikes!

1D174D75-2CCA-47A5-9A66-3363733BDD70.jpeg

16. StratoMutt

Wow, how cool was that? About what year?

IMMusicRulz and Scott Baxendale like this.
  17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

IMMusicRulz and StratoMutt like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

This might be the first album I ever bought.
    Definitely in the first 3

IMMusicRulz and StratoMutt like this.
  19. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That speaks volumes about your craftsmanship

20. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talker

Well, I liked ELP from the first moment I heard the first album. Back in high school, a senior hosted an outdoor graduation party featuring a HUGE stereo his well-to-do parents had recently gifted him. I will never forget the joy I experienced listening to Tank, cranked!