Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Gretsch 5420 Lefty NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Vjerilood, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1740.JPG

Stopped in Jerry’s Lefty Guitars in Sarasota and got a good deal on this Gretsch Electromatic 5420. Sounded amazing through a big Fender amp (I forget what kind). I’m out of town so I’m eager to run it through my Vox when I get home.

Played some other guitars with more or less success. I played a V for the first time. Um, no LOL. Played a gorgeous Guild 12 string acoustic that filled the room with shimmer. Also just for the experience I played a Rick 12 string, one of the few lefties in existence. The Backlund 400 sounded great and is the coolest looking guitar I ever saw, but the neck was too wide. A LP I instantly bonded with, and a 3 pickup white SG.

I played what I think is the best guitar I ever touched, a Duesenberg (forget the model). The notes that were coming through that Fender amp were like time was standing still. When you stop playing it’s like breaking a spell. It was priced more than reasonably but was more than I wanted to spend, so this is my new holy grail.

But no joke, after spending the afternoon noodling around on all kinds of stuff, the last one I tried, almost as an afterthought as I was getting ready to leave, I plugged this Gretsch in and wow. The sound was beautiful, it was playable, and the price was right so I took it. The only mod I’ll probably do is add a bigsby.

This shop is heaven if you’re a lefty, and Jerry’s a nice guy (and an animal lover), so if you’re in that area I’d recommend View attachment 258184

Edit: I don’t know why there’s a locked photo and I can’t get rid of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I'm not a big fan of Gretsch tut that is one pretty guitar! Wait til @Mr. Lumbergh sees it.

3. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    She's a beaut. Just bought a PRS Korean made SE custom and I was blown away by the quality. Someone said Korea is the new Japan, I am thinking they were right.

4. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I really like what Fender have done with the Gretsch brand (FMIC don't own it but do all the marketing, development and production management). They've made some very nice guitars available at a good price without affecting the traditional brand image, the White Falcon remains an aspirational instrument.

Vjerilood and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

5. martin82

martin82 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am a big fan of Gretsch guitars and own four different models. They are great guitars and wouldn’t mind another. Enjoy and congratulations!

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

6. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    HNGD!
    Yeah, Gretschs are pretty awesome.

Glad you found one to take with you - imagine you'd have had to leave all those guitars behind and go home with nothing but the feeling that you're missing something...

7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Fa-ra-ra-ra-raaa, ra ra ra raa! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA

8. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Nice looking guitar....congrats and enjoy....

And as a fellow lefty, another vote for Jerry being good to us lefty's....I've purchased from him via the interwebs, but man o man I would love to check out his shop one of these days....to say he has an eclectic array of guitars would be an understatement....

Vjerilood likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Very cool man. Enjoy.

10. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Jerry has a White Falcon, just gorgeous. Playing it I got this feeling like everything is so BIG. That was my impression, this is a handful of guitar.