Grow bag gardening? Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratoMutt, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

You must have a farm supply somewhere nearby. They should have them or know where they can be had.

2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. I'm on the outer edges of suburbia where some farm country starts.

My only concern is getting the bales properly conditioned. Looks easy enough, but not foolproof.

This looks to be a good info source with details: https://sympathink.com/straw-bale-gardening/

3. StratoMutt

I have given this a lot of thought. Going with the ugly eco-menace grow bags.

I'm concerned with finding straw bales that are not truly organic, allowing for them to be laced with herbicides and other nasties. I also do not have a lot of time to prep the bales with fertilizer before the plants arrive. My history with plant food has been dismal.

I do not have a vehicle capable of fitting bales into. My nice neighbor has a pickup, but do not want to impose unless absolutely needed.

I know I'm taking a chemical risk with the Chinese bags too, but will not be herbicide. I'd hope.

I do thank you for the information. :) Maybe I'll try when I have more time to plan.

Baelzebub likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Yikes....Chinese bags? The same folks who sold lead kiddie jewelry through Walmart?

Why not hit up your local coffee roastery and get some good old burlap. Most buy some form of organic beans by the 50lb sack.

Anyway..the bale thing is not all that difficult. Wish I'd thought to tell ya earlier in the season.

PS- dunno if it's valid but the mexican growers put a book of sulfur matches in the hole when they plant...gives the pepper's "fire". Probably more to do with the sulfur making the soil more acid, but an interesting idea. I plant jalapenos every year and I don't know why but they get hotter every year...

StratoMutt likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I raid building sites for 5 gal (4½ now) buckets that have fractured. Drywall and paint pros don't want 'em anymore because they leak. But they are excellent for my trees (I grow trees from seeds I collect; Japanese Maples, Biwa, Dogwood, Golden Chain)

At one point I had 65 trees going. Gave a bunch away and have planted all but 10 around my property. I won't live to see them mature but my kids will. And their kids.

Anyway, these buckets were free and served me well.

StratoMutt likes this.
  6. StratoMutt

Earlier, I'd have been all over it. I really would have.

There is an excellent coffee roaster less than 30 minutes from me. https://www.readingcoffee.com/ I'll hit them up.

Baelzebub likes this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

:thumb:

8. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

5 gallon pails will work. Wont get as big as in ground but pretty big. Its not to difficult to amend soil.

Just took my Fatalii out from under my grow lights- they were getting too big for it. These guys will be 5 ft tall by August.

181173395_10159018189637211_3166655526065918535_n.jpg

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

while you're at it, if they're a retail outfit too, ask them what they do with their grounds.

My soil was mostly clay when I moved here...adding loads of household scraps, horse manure, composted chicken manure and rabbit droppings, pine shavings and buckets of coffee grounds from my local coffee shop, (I left 5 gallon buckets there and rotated them out when full), it's now rich black loamy soil....

If you pull weeds? Put them in a plastic bucket or bag and cover with water...set in the sun. It'll kill the seeds and make a slop that smells foul but it great for pouring over your compost.

The other thing you can do with burlap is fill it part way with some composte, and then set it in a container of water like a teabag to make compost tea....water the plants with it and it feeds them at the same time.

I have a rain barrel I line with a burlap bag about halfway up the rain comes in the top, filters through the compost and I have a spigot with a hose on the bottom... just gotta be creative...nothing goes to waste around here.. :D

StratoMutt likes this.
  10. rockon1

Plan ahead. If you have an area for a garden start amending the soil now so you can use it next year at least. I wont get too "composty" since it may attract vermin. I use ground up (mulched) leaves, peet moss , old planter dirt, etc. I do have a 35 gallon garbage can with a lid I use as Baelzebub described with weeds, etc and water. Gotta have a lid or the mosquitoes will use it too.

StratoMutt likes this.
  11. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Living near wine country, we get old half barrels relatively cheap. Drill a few holes in the bottom and they make great planters.

Bill, tgo

StratoMutt and rockon1 like this.
  12. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

13. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Cloth-eared nincompoop Silver Member

What a friend of mine does:

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

Essentially just buckets with a liner and filled with perlite. The complexity is in the feeder and drainage system, but it's really not all that fancy. Part of his nutrient feed is worm castings from earthworms which he also raises himself. The system is extremely productive.

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. StratoMutt

There are other varieties you know. o_O

What I'm going to attempt (lazily copied and pasted from email):

AJI YELLOW 2
    JALAPENO EARLY
    JALAPENO M
    SANDIA
    SCOTCH BONNET RED
    SERRANO

I normally hate ALL CAPS.

Jalapeños are my favorite as they are a great eating pepper as is and are very versatile pods. Thick flesh, super easy to roast and peel. I let most of them go red. Serranos are similar.

I'd try some super hots (1 million+ SCU), but read they are fussy and require a long growing season.

Peruvian Aji yellows are amazing dried pods. I'm hoping this one will do well.

Crazy extensive selection that should ship overnight as close as they are: https://www.chileplants.com/peppers.aspx

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  15. rockon1

Ive grown Carolina Reapers here in CT. They made it to the finish line.

duzie and StratoMutt like this.
  16. StratoMutt

No special prep? Do you start indoors under lights and the like?

17. rockon1

Yeah- I start all my plants in late February -early March like the Fatalii pictured. Nothing fancy but strong. Six 4 ft bulb light hung from the garage ceiling. It doubles as my workbench light! Easy-peasy.

20210426_200507_resized.jpg

StratoMutt likes this.
  18. StratoMutt

I really want to use a decent organic potting mix.

For the six not yet settled on "pot" size, that's $100+! :eek: Straw bales next time. The fertilizer for that is not cheap either. Two of those would do nicely. Bonus - I'd get to stink up the neighborhood a bit! :p

A standard coffee bean bag seems to measure about 1 meter high (39") x 75 cm (30"). Cannot figure volume on that without toying with one. Math and I do not get along.

Fleabay has used coffee bags. One vendor has them - ten for $30 shipped. Similar at Amazon - $40.

Calling the coffee roaster tomorrow.

19. StratoMutt

Your seedlings look great - nice and leafy! Anything special in the way of soil / fertilizer?

I have no decent location for that. No garage. Germination requires proper warmth more than anything from what I have read.

I thought $7.16 per plant shipped was pretty good. I bought Burpee plants many years ago for more $ than that. Biker Billy© Jalapeños are superb. They were the sole source at the time.

I have been hankering for fresh crunchy pods for years. It is only SpendL.gif

20. rockon1

My Fatalii last year. Only 8 plants, about 5ft tall here. Decent soil. My best results have always been in ground.

20200916_165303_resized.jpg

StratoMutt likes this.