Guitar Center Disaster

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Billie_J, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Have you documented your attemps to contact the store manager ? Try emails you'll have a record. Send pics with it. You'll probably have to go over his head so any documentation will help

apm1991 likes this.
  2. Jimistone

Jimistone Strat-Talker

Their "techs" are probably all on Marijuana.

StummerJoe likes this.
  3. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

Sent the manager an email with photos as well as his personal phone so I’ve got the documentation regarding the issue

4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I know for a fact they don't drug test because, well...musicians. I also know from experience that they recruit from luthier schools. Another fact - the pay is low and it's nothing more than a starter job like flipping burgers with low pay and high turnover.

When they first decided to have techs in house they did their best to get rid of the established guys they had in a few shops because they made too high a percentage. Yeah, they give you three weeks vacation after two years but they also incentivise their techs to work as fast as possible to get a small increase in percentage on top of the low wages so the poor schmuck's can pay rent and eat decent food.

So glad I never went that route, but I had friends who did. No good.

Believer7713 likes this.
  5. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

So the manager is going to talk with his tech and ask wth happened and he agreed to replace to tuners but seems the neck is a lost cause, he also said he would personally plug the holes and redrill them and make sure they’re aligned properly. I already ordered a new set of tuners. I’m probably just going to order a new neck and use this crap one as a replacement for my current strat. But I will never bring anything to GC ever again after this I’m thoroughly done with them and I hope when they look under the tuner at the low E they see the open space that’s there but I’m not gunna fight this forever

CB91710 likes this.
  6. StummerJoe

So wait a minute...you're going to trust the MANAGER?!?:confused:o_O What makes you think they'd do better? The manager is trying to get out of this as cheap as possible.

Hold your ground, be firm. Still rooting for you!:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Chont, nadzab and Stephen James like this.
  7. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Haha, why the hell should you now trust HIM to be a competent woodworker?? The manager of a guitar center?? I wouldn't be confident he has a ton of time to practice his 'craft'..

Take up @Believer7713 on his offer, he is amazing with this type of custom woodwork!

8. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

"Yo, bro - I got this!"

upload_2021-4-1_14-16-51.png

9. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

figured that out did you?

Filed under 'Florida Man'...

CB91710 and Billie_J like this.
  10. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

I’m just trying to get this done ASAP I already have a new neck on the way as well as a new set of tuners. I also work with a guy whose been doing wood work for 25+ years and we are probably going to experiment a bit with this botched neck

bluejazzoid likes this.
  11. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Hey, that's a good idea too, we all hope it turns out well for you! Try to learn as much from your friend as possible, many don't realize the tiny moments in the presence of sage experience can end up being priceless in the long run..

12. StummerJoe

There's nothing to experiment with. It's an easy fix for anyone with experience. Just tap, drill & enlarge the holes slightly and glue & insert a properly sized dowel and then trim flush and start over. When done correctly the tuners will cover the repair.

What some of us are disappointed in is that after all the good advice given you would let the MANAGER try to fix it after the "TECH" messed it up rather than stick to your guns and get the compensation you deserve, be it monetary or replacement.

It's your choice though for sure. Hope it works out and you're satisfied in the end.:thumb:

13. Oldboy

Oldboy Strat-O-Master

Sorry, but they're totally playing you and you're giving in.

Anacharsis and StummerJoe like this.
  14. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

So they’ve decided it’s a lost cause, and are going to “fix” it? Ultimately it’s up to you, but I agree with others that’s a win for them when they should be held accountable for the price of a new neck, and they can keep the old one. Given that it was a new, pristine neck when you left left it with them, there’s no depreciation, no betterment etc. to be factored in to what they are liable for.

If you’re willing to accept a fix (assuming they don’t make it worse), I’d insist on some additional consideration, like a store credit/gift card in a reasonable amount. But again, it’s up to you.

StummerJoe likes this.
  15. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Strat-Talker

Cough...cough.

It's time to embrace your "inner-Richard".

16. REWTX

REWTX Strat-Talker

I would put some hipshot tuners with the universal mounting plates on it and be done.

Ruscio and CB91710 like this.
  17. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Manager - “hey luthier school tech... hold my beer”

[​IMG]

18. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

You're the one that started running their mouth DUDE. Now you can run your mouth on my ignore list.

Don't dish it out and then get all butt hurt when you get it back. ;)

19. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

Don’t ever, ever use guitar center techs for anything. I like guitar center as a general matter, but their techs are a joke.

20. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Lots of people know not to go to GC to have work done. But not everyone. Especially some of the younger crowd or people that don’t hang on forums. I blame GC not the OP. You’d think a place with so much guitar related inventory and the word “Center”...whoops... I mean “Guitar” in its name would be a place you could go to have your “guitar” serviced. Alas. It is not.