Guitar Center Disaster

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Billie_J, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

It has nothing to do with giving in, I just dont have the time to drag this out for a month or so long process. When I talked to the manager while I was out of town he said he would replace the tuners so I decided to take the tuners off so they didnt scalp me and take those to try and repair and sell later down the road. If they manage to mangle this neck up even more me and my coworker will do what @Believer7713 mentioned and have a little project to replace to tuner section with a different type of wood. As much as I want it replaced I did the math and its not even a day of work for me to get the money back plus. Although in the future if something like this happens at an actual guitar shop I will make sure to fight it to hell and back for them to get it right. GC isn't worth my time or hassle to get this Allparts neck replaced, too much corporate Bs to climb up to get it right. Now the tuners on the otherhand retail for $100+ depending on where you can find them so at least im not coming out empty handed.

StummerJoe, REWTX and Chont like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Hey, if you're happy....
    Next time you wanna throw $$$ away gimme a shout

3. REWTX

REWTX Strat-Talker

I agree Billie j. Your time is valuable and something like this is not worth the time and energy. I would chalk it up to a lesson about GC and move forward. As I stated in an earlier post, the hipshot tuners with the universal mounting plate will cover this and work well (don’t ask me how I know). Good luck with your build!

4. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I learned my lesson long ago with GC and thier sister co Musiciansfriends.
    STAY AWAY!

Scott Baxendale and StummerJoe like this.
  5. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add that the newer Sperzels have a bur instead of a pin on the back for simpler installation and no hole removal.

And yeah, they owe you BIG TIME! I'd make them replace the tuners they cut the pins on, too! Seriously, you DOES that?

Andrew Wasson and StummerJoe like this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

No chance I'd let them off with having mangled my property (the neck). I'd call corporate and throw the manager so far under the bus he gets coated in axle grease. Nice guy or not, he's playing you.

Bankruptcy is not liquidation (yet). One way for them to avoid the latter is to, for instance, get dirt cheap positive PR by replacing the neck they damaged. Easy call for them. The manager just doesn't want to be accountable for having let it happen, so he's likely not actually moving it up the line.

Him offering to do the work himself just makes the whole thing worse if he can't present proof that he's actually qualified. There's no way he told the bosses, and they came back and said "how about you give it a whack?"

7. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

Let me elaborate on GC 's sister site MF.( appropriate initials)
    10 days back I ordered a DR special edition with Redback speakers. About three hundred bucks cheaper than regular DR that went up two hundred from last year.
    In stock will ship immediately. Ten days later I am still waiting when they sent me an email saying they cant find but one of these in a store in dallas but its a floor model. I probably wouldn't want it so they are going to make sure I get one but its gonna take a few months.
    Oh! The deal is not available on this model. The speaker and 48 month interest free financing. So it will be the regular price and 6 months of interest free.
    I declined and told them what I was promised and how this rubbed me wrong.
    His reply. " That is irrelevant. " and he was going to put me on hold while he canceled the order and for me to stay on the line til he was complete with this process to make sure my cancelation went smoothly and I didn't experience any problems.
    I hope he is still sitting there with the phone in his hand. The End.

8. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I called David Allen and Ordered a Brown Sugar w 15. Next day.

StummerJoe likes this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Oh, I’d take a bet the he (the manager) did talk to the bosses and they came back with “how about you give it a whack”. I worked in retail for 20 years and that’s exactly what corporate would insist upon.

@Billie_J grab those tuners from them and whatever else you get and get your wood working buddy to dowel and redrill the headstock. As long as they haven’t screwed anything else up on the neck you should be fine. That tool that @Believer7713 referred you to (on ebay) is the cat’s meow for this kind of job. I swear I’ve bought more tools for neck work that any other part of the craft. I’ve got drill bits that are only used for tuners now. It’s a problem o_O

Anyway, good luck.

Stephen James and Believer7713 like this.
  10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

Maybe corporate did do that. I have one contact there who I'm dying to ask about this. Maybe I will.

If they don't replace the neck they damaged, I don't want to buy from them. There are so many other options.

StummerJoe, CB91710 and Stephen James like this.
  11. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

image.jpg Well the new neck arrived after some issues with shipping and currently I’m still waiting on whatever the hell they plan to do with the other one, I’m waiting on a day to go to an actual music shop with actual luthiers and have them do some work on this new neck. I’m going to invest in some wood working tools here soon and a small drill press so I don’t have to spend as much as well as bother my coworker every other day about using his press. Btw does anyone know of brown streaks on a maple neck, this new neck has them and idk what to make of them

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Mineral streaks.
    Call it "personality"... it's just a part of the wood that makes it unique, and if the guitar is ever stolen, an easy way to identify it.

Though those are running across the grain, which seems odd for mineral streaks. It almost looks like burn marks from the buffer

Billie_J likes this.
  13. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talker

Yeah I thought maybe buffer burns but I’ll learn to like it especially like you said easy to identify if stolen

14. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Those streaks kinda look like they are on top of the grain? If so the finishing was done improperly. If it’s actually in the wood then it is what it is.

Billie_J likes this.