Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar Center Guitar-a-thon

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by peskypesky, Dec 18, 2009.

1. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

heard it started. maybe a thread for any good deals on Strats?

2. highway-one

highway-one Strat-O-Master

what do you think about the employees at guitar center?

3. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

there's some cool ones at the GC near me...14th street in Manhattan.

4. gliderider22

gliderider22 Senior Stratmaster

I have had a lot of positive experiences with GC it's the Sam Ash employees that I have a problem with. What a bunch of banana heads.

5. TwoMartinMan

TwoMartinMan Strat-O-Master

My guess it that is has alot to do with the management of the individual store...like most businesses. Here in Maryland, I find the employees at the Rockville store are more informed than the ones at the Glen Burnie store. I agree with Pesky that the employees at the 14th St. store in Manhattan are also pretty good. But I've had many instances where I stood by and heard young salesmen at Guitar Centers tell customers information that I absolutely knew to be incorrect. Seems silly that this should happen when the correct info is often just a step or two away on a near-by computer.

6. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

it is true that GC employees are often not super-knowledgeable, and that's unfortunate. but isn't that the case with most stores these days? the customer really needs to do their research before they ever walk in the store.

7. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

have you ever been to a Home Depot? The people that work there make me sick.

8. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

Whether Guitar Center, Home Depot, or anywhere else, I won't lump everyone into a single category. I've met good and bad folks at both, the same as anywhere else. I'm fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and skilled guitarist at the GC I frequent. He's the only person I'll deal with there, and he takes very good care of me.

Although I will share a story that would have turned me off to GC if it had been my first trip there and I didn't already have a good contact at the store.

I was checking out a Squier DuoSonic and found that the neck pickup was intermittent when toggling to neck position. I pointed this out to the nearest rep that was quite young and said it probably had a bad switch. I figured he'd pass it on to the tech to fix up for sale. He looked at me, then the guitar, then back to me and said...

"Wow, yeah. Lots of guitars are like that. Do you wanna buy it?"

9. Squier?!?

Squier?!? Strat-Talker

What strikes me about these GC Guitar-A-Thons & super blowout
    sales they seem to have every other weekend is that the prices on
    most things (or anything i might be interested in) are always the same
    as when i was in during the week, when there wasn't a "sale" going on.

It's like they raise the "regular" price on all the price tags,
    but the "sale" price is the same as it was during the week.

I rarely see what i would consider a good deal on anything @ GC
    & it usually takes me an extra 10 minutes to checkout because it
    takes that long to find anybody in the store who knows ther cash
    register well enough, never mind is authorized, to adjust the price to
    match their own online prices, which are always lower than in store.

Most of the employees at my local GC are astoundingly unknowledegable
    about what they're trying to sell &, numerous times, have been completely
    clueless when i've asked about items that were "Guitar Center Exclusives",
    which means GC IS THE ONLY PLACE SELLING THAT ITEM, yet these guys
    look & respond as if they've never even heard of what i've asked about.:confused:

You'd think that GC would, at the very least, have something posted in
    the backroom that informs the employees as to what it is the company
    is hyping & trying to sell lots of for the month, you know what i mean?

But i only ever get the impression that they don't tell them anything,
    as i tend to be a lot more knowledgeable about things they're selling,
    just because i've read that month's mailer while using the restroom.

There's ONE guy in there who seems to know what he's
    talking about, but the rest are complete bullsh*t artists.

I haven't bought anything other than strings, picks &
    a used BOSS Blues Driver from Guitar Center in years.

10. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly! What's on sale their that you really want?

11. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

The only problem I really have with GC employees are the guys that sit there and shred obnoxiously loud. And I'm not talking about the customers that do it, these are employees at my local GC that do this all the freakin' time. Annoying as hell.

12. Geezer

Geezer Former Member

"Pay peanuts, get monkeys." Goes for any retail store.

13. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

+1 When you really think about it...how influential is the salesperson in helping you make your decision? What counts for me is a salesperson who is happy to help me find what I want and and is enthusiastic and excited about my purchase! I have a go-to guy at GC now that is very cool, is a guitarist, and knows I wont waste his time, and kinda goes out of his way to help and show me stuff! I like it! Sweetwater is awesome too!

14. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

15. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

OMG. :mad:

16. coldengray

coldengray Strat-Talker

The GC here in West LA is like walking into a pack of vultures - the second you walk in the door they are on you like white on rice and you cannot be left alone. Then when checking out it's ALWAYS about the up-sell. Walking in is like entering a car dealership, checking out is like trying to rent a car (do you want GPS? Fuel? Insurance? Roadside assistance? Upgrade for another $10 per day?). I know they are just doing their jobs and probably work on commission but man, it can get to be a little much. There is one guy that is cool who I always ask for. And when I call to check if an item is in stock (before I brave LA traffic) NO ONE can EVER give me an answer, I just get put on hold, transferred, etc. Thankfully I have a KILLER local shop down the street, TrueTone Music...they are spendy but know their stuff.

17. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

a lot too much.

18. StratGuy68

StratGuy68 Strat-O-Master

It's funny this topic came up because I've got a GC story that I haven't gotten around to posting. My son and I were in our local GC wasting time the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when I overheard an older couple talking to an employee about a sunburst Squier Bullet Strat. The saleskid got paged for a phone call and asked the couple if they minded if he took it. When the kid left, I mentioned to the couple that the Bullet was a nice guitar and that I wouldn't mind having one myself. They told me they were looking for something for their grandson who had been "borrowing" a beat-up guitar from a friend and who wanted badly to learn to play. So I dug into my old bag of skills from my retail electronics days and got some info from them about what kind of music their grandson likes and how much they wanted to spend. About the only thing they knew was that he likes Fenders. So I gave them a simplified rundown of the relationship between Squier and Fender, and then explained the difference between the $89.00 Bullet (on sale) and the $500.00 and $1,000.00 Strats hanging on the wall. Once they decided the Bullet would be the perfect starter guitar for their grandson, I showed them some of the other things he would need with it.

By then, the GC employee came back and apologized up and down that he got stuck on the phone with some weird guy who keeps calling him and asking a bunch of questions without ever buying anything. I could tell he was sincere and hadn't tried to blow these people off. So I told him, "I think this is your sale," and then told him what they had picked out. My son and I finished looking around, and then we left with me feeling good to have helped some complete strangers out.

By the way, some lucky kid around here is going to unwrap a sunburst Squier Bullet Strat, a Vox DA-5 amp, a Road Runner gig bag, an Ernie Ball nylon strap, a couple packs of Ernie Ball 9's, a pack of Fender medium celluloid picks, a Quick Tune digital tuner, and a cord that his grandparents got for roughly the price of a Squier Affinity Strat pack. I'm envious, but I hope the kid sticks with it and learns to love playing guitar as much as I do!

By the way, I like my Guitar Center and would give the employees a B to a B+. Sure, we've got the wankers and shredders too. But the sales team has turned over a lot in the past year, and they seem to have hired some guys who know their guitars and who want to find what their customers want to play rather than acting like used car salesmen.

19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Awsome GordonRules24 !

20. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

i actually boycotted GC for at least 25 years due to an incident in the San Francisco location. I went in to buy a pignose or similar practice amp. i settled for a little battery or plug in amp and i negotiated a price of $50 out the door. so the salesman goes to the manager and then comes back with a sales draft which he has me sign. when i open my wallet he sees i have more than fifty bucks in it so he calls the manager over and they tell me i have to pay sales tax on top of the $50...not a lot of money but on principal i walked out. I now shop from time to time at the El Cerrito GC(hometown for CCR) but i would rather buy my strings and picks online with no sales tax and free shipping

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.