Guitar Experiment: Tele Bridge tone on Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheDireStrat, Jan 30, 2021.

1. TheDireStrat

TheDireStrat Strat-Talker

You all know what that perfect Tele Bridge tone is. Twangy, snappy, bright, but not harsh.
    But we all love those quintessential Strat tones as well. I’m probably not the first one to think of this, but can we put the bridge tone on the Strat?
    I’m not doing this in real life, this is purely speculative, so feel free to go as far as you want in imagination. How could we come as close as possible to get that bridge tone on a strat?
    Criteria: nothing much, just one thing: keep the look of the Stratocaster as close as possible. So three pickups on the pick guard, beautiful curves, etc.

My input: Tele bridge pickup that’s proven to give those awesome tones on a Telecaster, removing it out of there and putting it aside. Then open up the Strat and install the metal bridgeplate underneath the pick guard so it won’t change the look. Of course it will be altered to fit. Maybe it could be attached to the pick guard itself, and I think bathtub route is necessary here. Keep the same Stratocaster pickup orientation and pickup covers. Last thing: brass saddles? Does that make a difference? I’d keep the whammy bar, because I think that’s a pretty essential strat thing.

Have fun!

Jesse414 likes this.
  2. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Not wanting to stifle the imaginations of forum members but my first thought is ‘why’? As soon as you mess with the neck pick up on a Strat to make it sound like a Tele, you no longer have a Strat. So, get yourself a Tele for Tele sounds and a Strat for Strat sounds or a Whiteguard Parallel Universe Strat.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Yup, I'm in the just buy a Tele camp as well. Each model does what it does best. If you try to make one into another it will always fall short in some ways.

At best you might do as Lowell George did and stick a Tele bridge pickup in the bridge position of a Strat but you'll need to rout the body and unless you swap in a Tele bridge and can make that work you still won't have a pure Tele bridge tone.

[​IMG]

Jesse414 likes this.
  4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I agree with the above.

If you want to make your Strat sound like a Tele, deck the bridge and play the bridge pickup.

It gets close.

5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

I’m I the only one who doesn’t think a Strat and a Tele sound drastically different to each other?
    The in between sounds on both are certainly very different but with one pickup selected I don’t think there’s loads in it.

6. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Or you can leave your strat stock and just try to move your picking hand a bit closer to the bridge than from where you normally pick and execute all your..chicken picking there and see if that sounds more like a tele.

7. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i have an Area T in my tele it's the best bridge tone i've heard. Thinking of putting one of these in a strat

8. Mustrat

Mustrat Strat-Talker

The Tele bridge pickup is physically different enough from a Strat pickup that it won't even fit in the same opening, let alone under a strat cover.

FWIW folks make strat pickups with a plate on the bottom similar to a Tele pickups and depending on whose you try and who you ask you can get close to various degrees simply by doing that.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  9. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I suspect the Tele physical bridge arrangement has more to contribute to the tone difference than the pickup does.
    String-through, rigid steel, huge contact patch to the body and direct physical coupling to the pickup.

nickmsmith, Groovey and TheDireStrat like this.
  10. TheDireStrat

No no no, the challenge was to keep everything as a strat, but in it's BRIDGE POSITION ONLY, get a Tele Bridge sound... so what can we do to get as close as possible?

marabino likes this.
  11. TheDireStrat

I am not going to do this now, I was just curious on what one can do. Good responses! What about what I said, does that make any sense?

12. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

Yes, it makes sense. Some folks have placed baseplates under their Strat bridge pickups for years. It’s not a new concept.

13. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

Simple, fit a Seymour Duncan Twangbanger which is basically a Tele bridge pickup that fits in the Strat cavity. It's the best Strat bridge pickup I've ever found.

14. Foxcaster

Foxcaster Strat-Talk Member

I've had brass tele saddles on a hardtail strat and a tele pickup. It sounded closer to a tele but not as much as I would've liked. I think the aethetics of a guitar has a big impact on the perception of what it sounds like. If it doesn't look and feel like a tele you won't be happy with it.

I've also seen and heard guitars that sound exactly like a tele but was more strat like (check out Johnny hiland.) It's all in the hands and fingers.

TheDireStrat likes this.
  15. TheDireStrat

No not baseplates, BRIDGE plate, because I heard that metal rectangle around the tele bridge is a big part in that twangy sound, so, not to cut the pickguard, what about if we put it under the pick guard? Again, I'm not discussing the "why's?" or the "is it worth it?". I am NOT doing this, I just wanted to start a little theoretical experiment.

marabino likes this.
  16. TheDireStrat

Hey I got this too! The thing is, it's a bit staggered, and on my 12 inch radius neck, it sounded a bit harsh especially on the g string. What can I do to fix this (another thing now) without getting a new neck and a roundwound G String?

17. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

You guys , now you got me gassing over a tele. I’m not sure I can afford to hang around here lol.

Jesse414 and TheDireStrat like this.
  18. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I can get Very close to a Tele twang from my Strats (all of them.)
    So close that I don't need a Tele.

Yep. i said it out loud.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

I personally like having a tele bridge pickup in the bridge position of a strat. Notice my love of P90s also in the neck position. I did keep with a strat pickup in the middle.
    IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0235-2.jpg

The copper pick guards on photos 1 and 3 were custom made by me.

20. TheDireStrat

My god that is beautiful! Now we're talking! Those are beauties! So we will add telecaster bridge pickup type in for our pickup -- any pickup that has a copperplated steel baseplate, alnico 2 magnets and a higher wound.

JeffBlue likes this.