Guitar Experiment: Tele Bridge tone on Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheDireStrat, Jan 30, 2021.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

My Tele had steel block saddles when I got it. Switching to brass 3 barrel saddles made a big difference for me. A bigger and more obvious difference than most of the pickup swaps I've ever done. The brass saddles add something to the sound that reminds me of bronzewound strings, that totally wasn't there before.

If I was gonna try to get a Tele sound out of a Strat, I would absolutely use barrel saddles (compensated, I still want the sucker to intonate). Installation would require drilling holes in the bridge plate.

diogoguitar likes this.
  2. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

There is something more solid in a tele bridge tone but I attribute it to the String ends being planted in the wood and the metal plate on the bottom. May sound strange but try a DiMarzio Fast Track 1. I like it so much I put another in the bridge position of my newest parts strat. I swear it sounds more Like a hardtail than a trem guitar. A good strong tele more than a strat. A bit better than the Duncan Twang Banger, although it is quite good too - problem with that one is it has that alnico 2 sound I don't care for. If they used 5 I might still use one.

3. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I've seen people do it, but it still didn't sound like a tele. There's a lot of reasons this may be so but, it definitely is.

4. Guitar boy

Guitar boy Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan makes a Telecaster bridge pickup complete with the metal bridge plate on the bottom of the pickup. It drops straight into your Strat and it sounds like a *****in Tele pickup. I actually have had people come up to me on a gig and ask me "Okay, so how are you getting that incredible Tele tone from a Strat?" Then I tell them it's a Duncan "Twang banger" in the bridge. The other two pickups are Duncan 5/2s.

Screenshot_20201219-132613.jpg

TheDireStrat likes this.
  5. Tanneman

Tanneman Strat-Talk Member

At first sight I thought GOOD IDEA. However, since the strat tone you get in position II i.e. bridge and middle pickup combined - what I call the knopfler strat sound - is essential to me, surely mounting a tele pickup in bridge position would spoil it for me.

6. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Those pick guards look awesome how did you cut the copper so great :)

JeffBlue likes this.
  7. TheDireStrat

TheDireStrat Strat-Talker

Well I used the twang banger in the bridge position before, and position 2 sounds pretty great, it definitely doesn't get ruined...

Tanneman likes this.
  8. TheDireStrat

TheDireStrat Strat-Talker

Wow good to know! How do you deal with the stagger (my g string is pretty prominent on this thing, no dirty joke intended) and what amp, amp settings and effects work well with this pickup in your opinion? Thanks!

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

I cut the copper with a saber saw, used drill bits and files to rout the pickup routs. Here are some other guitars that I had either made pickguards for or created brass topped guitars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Jesse414 likes this.
  10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

And more.........

Attached Files:

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

(I keep hitting the post Reply button before I'm finished uploading files)
    IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0231.jpg
    I really like metal pickguards and metal topped guitars. The bass is something someone started, I bought and finished with an aluminum pickguard.

Jesse414 and TheDireStrat like this.
  12. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

brass saddles make a huge difference on a tele sound.
    You could get a tele bridge pickup, and there is even a strat-sized tele pickup from seymour duncan..

but I'll tell you, lots of the tele sound come from the bridge itself.
    Just get a tele

13. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

Install a blender pot on your Strat. This allows you to blend the neck and bridge pups to achieve the tone similar to a Tele bridge pup. Lindy Fralin has a wiring diagram on his website. I’m sure there are numerous other articles and sound files on YouTube. If you can solder, this is an easy mod.

14. NGS Guitars

NGS Guitars Strat-Talk Member

The strat is a longer more complex body. The Tele is shorter and more compact with tight edge rounding. That will always be the difference that a Strat bod cannot and was never designed to compare with. No matter what pups or bridge mod the character of that bright responsive short punch Tele comes from its stature.

TheDireStrat likes this.
  15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

none of my teles have brass saddles, one of my Teles does not have a plate under the bridge pickup. 3 of my Teles have 6 individual saddles, one has 3 saddle bridge. All but one are String-thru, one is top loader.

All very much sound like Teles, and side by side, you can definitely tell a difference from a Strat bridge pickup. I've tested it, quite a bit.

The only reasoning I can give is the construction of the Tele bridge, and the construction of the pickup being the main factors in the sound. Nothing else I can say, removes the Tele sound from the pickup.

I've taken a lot of other factors out of it, and still the sound is still distinguishable when compared directly to my various strats.

On its own, I think people could confuse the two, if a Strat is being played in a stereotypical Telecaster way

17. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

sorry I did not plan to throw sand on your plans.
    It's not TOO bad if you want to stick a tele bridge pickup on a strat.

Yes, you could sound reasonably close. One more thing to add is, you probably have to route the body just a little bit since the pickup is a little bigger. It's only a few millimeters closer to the bridge than what a strat pickup is.

18. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

Contrary to what others here claim, it’s not possible to get Tele bridge twang from any traditional single coil Strat pickup. Tele bridge pickups are much higher output and sound nothing like a Strat.

My advice is to buy a Tele to go with your Strat. If you can only own one guitar, get a Tele because they can imitate a Strat better than a Strat can imitate a Tele.

Antstrat and nickmsmith like this.
  19. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I think you may be able to get in the ballpark with a Strat, but a Tele always wins. If I had to have one guitar, It'd be a nashville Tele, because you get the true Tele sound, plus the good approximation of Strat sounds.

Nick's Strat gets close enough to fool me.

TheDireStrat likes this.