Guitar faces: Am I the Odd Man Out?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Slacker G, Jul 25, 2021.

Guitar faces or not guitar faces that is the question

1. Do you prefer musicians who make minimal guitar faces?

30 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Do you prefer watching musicians who make guitar faces?

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Do you practice guitar faces in front of the mirror?

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Do you practice guitar faces while shopping for groceries?

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Do you show your guitar faces to the cop during a traffic stop?

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Do you wear your guitar faces constantly everywhere you go?

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

I think I've been told I look angry a few times too. Probably concentration too.

CB91710 and rocknrollrich like this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

yes, because i was really having to concentrate on not making facial expressions, and i wasnt able to cut loose.

nomadh and CB91710 like this.
  3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I have uncontrolled guitar face - I usually look back at videos and cringe - my wife has warned me not to chew gum while playing as she says it makes me look like I have mad cow disease.

I do agree that it has to do with feeling the music - when I play leads I approach it as if singing, through the strings instead of my vocal cords, so it's kind of like when I singer is straining to hit that high note, or kind of mouthing along with the sounds I'm creating.

I guess on the bright side - folks usually say they enjoy watching me play as they can tell that I'm having fun...

davi3blu3 likes this.
  4. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Eric Johnson so not into theatrical guitar faces. Chet Atkins no guitar faces. Andres Segovia no guitar faces. But among rock & blues guys lots of exaggerated guitar faces.
    Just because a musician makes outrageous guitar faces doesn't mean he has more feeling than musicians that don't do the cheesy exaggerated face act as some might believe. A natural occasional grimace or drool can be overcome with a little effort. I see lots of guitar faces but not any drool faces, yet I think droolers put every bit as much emotion in their music as the guitar face guys. Perhaps droolers find that average audiences are just a little too picky. Know of any exaggerated drool videos? No. Point made.

5. Boneman68

Boneman68 Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I make faces when I take a huge dump, so guitar is no different. I like seeing the player has emotion and is feeling their music.

BigDan likes this.
  6. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talker

I don't drool because I keep my mouth shut, but after a long stretch of playing I do sometimes find that I have a large amount of spit in my mouth. I recently heard that Slash is notorious for drooling.

7. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talker

Robin Trower has epic guitar face. Looks like he just stuck a bad lemon in his mouth.

My wife tells me I have a guitar face when I really concentrate on something.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

A couple more points regarding "guitar face"
    1) Sometimes still shots make things look more dramatic than they actually were live - often it was just a split second look, but when caught in a still shot it looks like your face is imploding.
    2) Guitar faces always make more sense when you replace the guitars with slugs:

https://mymodernmet.com/slug-solos/

[​IMG]

nomadh and Slacker G like this.
  9. Strategizer

Strategizer Strat-Talk Member

This conversation reminds me of the time everybody made fun of the guy from the visiting basketball team because he wore funny socks. He went on to school everybody on the court. He played ball his way.

If a person plays great music, I don't care if they're making faces or not. It's the prerogative of someone who's more skilled than most or all of the people in the room.

buzzword likes this.
  10. velvet_man

velvet_man Senior Stratmaster

I'm the farthest thing from a "showman" you'd ever find. I prefer to stay in the back by the drummer and play my part out of the spotlight. I always thought I didn't make any faces while playing, but my wife tells me otherwise. I don't think it's for show. It's just something that happens without realizing it when you're in the zone.

buzzword and nomadh like this.
  11. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

The ex wife referred to it as the f#@k face.

I am worried about note selection, creating on the fly, nailing a perfect melody or harmony part, switching sounds with my feet, trying to make the same old same old somehow sound fresh yada yada yada.
    Not worried about my [email protected]#k face.

Here is my drool story. Stop reading now if you're squeamish.

At a Robin Trower show during one of his solos he unknowingly started to drool.
    Not a small or little drool a thick molasses like drool that bobbed up and down until it finally landed on his guitar.:eek:
    Disgusting? Yes, but we just laughed it off and were impressed as always with his performance that night.

If your note selection makes you drool then you know you're on the right track. If you are having a problem with uncontrollable facial spasms you can bet your bippy, you're on the right track.

Vai has some epic faces. Crossroads anyone?

What about people that mindlessly smile like a Cheshire cat the entire time (Mr Cray) or permanent shoegazers?

Picking on the facially handicapped, you should be banned, drawn and quartered.;)

12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Sometimes I'll catch myself with my face all scrunched up or drooling.
    Don't happen on purpose.

13. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

My guitar face.
    You can tell I played with a rambunctious couple of anything goes miscreants...we were party animals...I swear!
    369-2.jpg
    Hint, I'm the fellow a touch over dressed.

14. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

Well how can you melt faces if you can't melt your own?

15. Supersonicuser

Supersonicuser Strat-Talk Member

I only make a face when a note I play makes my amp fart (or I).

16. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

I remember Dick Dale saying that the faces he made were from actual pain, not surprising with the insanely heavy strings he was using.

17. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

Love watching Billy Zoom play. He just looks out at the audience and smiles. A tremendous and underrated player.

18. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I don't think a person can not do it. The face making.It would be harder than playing pinball and not " enhancing " the flippers. Have you ever watched a kid playing Mario brothers on a Nintendo. How about yourselves.
    My all time favorite has to be Warren Hayes. It embarrasses me to watch him play.

davi3blu3 likes this.
  19. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Physical and facial expression along with the playing can be a big part of the show.

In the case of 21 year old Yngwie doing things we'd never heard before, it was perfect. Pure confidence, expression and mastery, even if it may not be your thing.

CB91710 likes this.
  20. davi3blu3

davi3blu3 Strat-Talk Member

My eyes roll back in my head when I improvise, and I hate it. Whenever I see video of my playing it makes me cringe, but it’s 100% subconscious. I have to concentrate really hard NOT to do it.