Guitar Hendrix used for the Fillmore BOG concert?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jimigunne, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

The sound of stock late 60s pickups is the one most people associate with Jimi. There is a Psychedelic Set, as well as a Hendrix set which goes after that tone.

Nate D likes this.
  2. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

Jimi played the guitar known as black beauty at the Fillmore BOG concerts. In fact other than the telecaster necked strat he played at the Newport jam session this black guitar and the white one he played at both Woodstock and Hawaii and elsewhere are the ONLY two strats I have seen pictures of him playing between somewhere in late '68, early '69 and his death. To me that is amazing because he was pictured playing tons of different strats before that. If he did play any other strats during the last year and a hlaf of his life in concert I'd love to see some pictures.

3. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Senior Stratmaster

I have my own black beauty with a rosewood FB. After reading this thread I think I would love to put Fender Custom Shop '69 pick ups in this fine axe.;)

[​IMG]

Green Sub and SAguitar like this.
  4. Jimigunne

Jimigunne New Member!

Good info.....the BOG concert imho is arguably the greatest live recording ever, as well as Jimi at his best. Thanks.

5. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Does anyone know where this guitar is now?

Just curious.

6. Erik_C

Erik_C Strat-Talker

Rumour has it that ex-Scorpions guitarist Uli Jon Roth pocesses it. Uli was Monika Danneman's partner (who was Jimi's last girlfriend).

himijendrix likes this.
  7. Erik_C

Erik_C Strat-Talker

Here's a link to last pics of Jimi (and his Black Beauty strat) taken by Danneman on September 17 1970 in the garden of 22 Lansdowne Crescent, London, England. Danneman rented the basement flat where Jimi was found dead (or unconscious?) the next morning.

https://themindcircle.com/last-photos-of-jimi-hendrix/

8. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talker

Even though I can’t play, this is why i love my Strats

Thanks for the thread Jimigunne

tstone2 likes this.
  9. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Great, thanks for sharing.

10. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

The Danneman estate owns it now. It's in a vault.

Erik_C likes this.
  11. Erik_C

Erik_C Strat-Talker

I didn't know that. Thanks.

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Most of his recorded out put which is his truest sound was recorded with pre cbs strats so if its that sound you want you need pre cbs spec pickups regardless of what you put them in , Live it was hit or miss how he sounded and could have been any pickups. every one just remembers the Black and white one for some reason , possibly because he was at his peak then.

13. Stratwrangler

[​IMG]

Rare shot of him in 68 with the white one , Black one and his v.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  14. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

There's no "truest sound". Jimi was a very interactive musician. He carved his sound each and every moment when he played. There are no pickups that can compensate for that.

Neil.C likes this.
  15. Stratwrangler

Couldn't agree more but by truest I mean strat tone if you listen to little wing for example thats true unadulterated pre cbs pickup tone.

rafasounds likes this.
  16. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Black Beauty is most likely in the possession of Uli Roth according to most sources or popular legend.

I won't be able to give details now but there's solid documentation and convincing arguments that point to the fact that Jimi played 3 different maple cap Strats towards the end of his life - Black Beauty, the Woodstock Strat, and another identical white maple cap Strat, probably a '69.

The Woodstock Strat was kind of retired shortly after Woodstock. The white Strat we see in Maui, Fehmarn and other shows of his late carreer is not the Woodstock Strat, but its twin sister.

There is a webpage that shows many pictures of the two, comparing the wear marks and even the wood grain on the back of the headstock, and to me it's pretty convincing that it's actually two different but almost identical white Strats. The second White Strat is slightly more yellowish than the Woodstock Strat.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Erik_C and Stratwrangler like this.
  17. Belexes

Belexes Strat-O-Master

Erik_C and kurher like this.
  18. Stratwrangler

Your right there is even some confusion about the Woodstock strat in the emp museum, that was apparently found in the electric lady land studio along with a sunburst 68 , however mitch Mitchell claims jimi gave it to him at a concert as a present. The pics of jimis last gigs are of a white strat with that mark on it which cant be the woodatock strat. So somewhere is jimis other white strat.

rafasounds likes this.
  19. Stratwrangler

Funny how she ended up with it when if you believe the autopsy reports from that dreadful night she could have prevented his death. Or possibly even contributed to it if you believe the conspiracy theories. Personally I just think she acted like a dumb ass and panicked which delayed the ambulance being called for over half an hour.

20. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

It's great but ime you don't need pre-cbs anything to do that.

Regarding the current owner of the black strat go up a few posts. On the 3 strats thing there is no solid documentation or convincing arguments just mere speculation.

You just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you? He was the love of her life and she couldn't save him. Put yourself in those shoes before you criticize her.

Neil.C likes this.