Guitar Hendrix used for the Fillmore BOG concert?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jimigunne, Dec 9, 2019.

1. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

That isn't the white one. The one in the pho has a rosewood fretboard. Gotta love the fashion sense though.

Stratwrangler and Electgumbo like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

And lets be real...
    It's in a vault, it ain't goin nowhere. Someday it'll be in a museum or something..........
    would you rather see his brother get his hands on it...ther'de be 50 of em out there for sale

3. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

I used to think that too, even after I looked at the White strat in Seattle. Then I realized that the Woodstock Strat, the Hawaii Strat and the Fehmarn Strat are almost certainly the same guitar. The reasons: There is definitely a mark at the bottom of the strat (from Jimi's perspective) on the white strats that he played throughout 1970 - most notably shown on Rainbow Bridge and in Fehmarn photos, that mark isn't there on the Woodstock strat nor the strat in Seattle today. It's almost 100% sure that these two guitars (Rainbow Bridge and in Fehmarn) are identical because the mark is in the exact same place. That's probably acceptable to most folks. But what evidence is there that this guitar is the same one that Jimi played at Woodstock?

I give you these arguments:

Mitch said so in a sworn document.

The location of the string tree. It's a single string tree on all of these guitar in a very strange position, very close to the nut instead of where you normally see a string tree parallel to the 5th tuner or slightly above. Look around as much as you want at 1968 stratocasters and unless you do better than I did you will find exactly two headstocks from 68 strats that have the string tree in this position Jimi's white strat and Jimi's black strat. Those two have it there. No other photo of a 68 strat does. Why? I don't know.

The Hawaii/Fehnmar/LA/Atlanta white strat all have the mark.... but what they also have is a missing pickguard screw. It is missing from close to the bridge pickup. If you look closely you'll see the missing screw on the LA picture and the Fehmarn picture as well. Is it a coincidence that that same screw is missing from the Woodstock strat and the one in Seattle today?

The clincher? The missing cigarette burns. Jimi smoked like a chimney and likes to put his cigarettes under the bass strings near the headstock logo. There are signs of cigarette burns on the guitar played at Woodstock and certainly on the Hawaii/Fehnmar/LA/Atlanta guitar which has the distinctive mark. The Woodstock strat in the Seattle MOPop does not have any cigarette burns. How can that be? For the same reason that the mark is missing. It was all cleaned up somewhere down the line. It's close to impossible to tell about the mark being cleaned up but there is some marking in that area but the Seattle guitar does have the missing pickguard screw, it does have the unique string tree placement and if you look real closely as shown in one of the photos I've attached you can see that where the cigarette burns would have been there is clrea evidence that the guitar has had the finish scraped off exactly where the burn would have been.

To make a long story short, I think that there is only one white strat and that it was cleaned up by Mitch or someone else before it made it's way to Paul Allen's museum. I've include a bunch of photos that show the guitar at various times. There are more in the next post.

Further research would be great!

LA70.jpg Woodstockarrows.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

You'd be surprised how much of a difference strings make. Stupid long video, but a little after 5 minutes this guy plays a standard 10-46 set tuned to Eb on a hendrix edition upside down strat and then puts on the Voodoo strings recently launched. It actually made a huge difference to my ears.

5. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Firstly , if you have ever played a pre cbs strat you immediately know the difference between in tone , I have and the tonal complexity s of those pickups just isn't there in later strats.

Secondly thats rubbish the woman was with him for a night and day in Dusseldorf, then followed him to cologne and subsequently London but he was with Kirsten neffer at the time they split and He got back with dannemann , they were only together for four nights at the Samarkand Hotel ! . She has consistently changed her story about that night and lived of the back of it for years all because of a 4 day dalliance jimi had with a groupie.
    She then went on to attack Kathy Etchingham making false allegations , breached various court orders and eventually was done for contempt of court then killed her self days later. She made a name for her self just for being one of jimis many groupies at the time . So for 5 days together she not done bad from it , the woman was a crazy head . The only reason she got the guitar was because it was with jimi at the hotel flat not because she was special and had it gifted to her . Really it should have been returned to his family .

6. Stratwrangler

Very concise and goes with my own research on the subject , still doesn't explain the white strat found at electric lady land studios with a 68 sunburst that apparently was the white strat with the Woodstock serial number , also if mitch had it why would you clean it up and things but leave the strings on it etc some strange annomolies for sure ,one of these things we will probably never know but fun looking into it :) and think there might be a white 68 floating around that no one knows was jimis , I kinda like the idea of that.

And good spot with that photo I thought it was both the maple boarded strats

rafasounds likes this.
  7. Stratwrangler

@tschucha , you also seem very well versed about his guitars, do you have any info as to where either of the White 63 strats end up , the one he brought over from the states called Carol and the one Linda Richards gave him once in England ? Was one of them the Sgt pepper gig strat that was written on and got smashed or do they still exist?

8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I can't prove it nor give any evidence apart from the evidence I saw in a website that I can't find now. I just have always thought, by watching all the footage, that its two white strats and that its pretty evident to me.

9. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Sorry I'm not a myth lover.

The same could apply to your statement. The truth is out there.

Peace monikaforever.jpg

Stratwrangler likes this.
  10. Stratwrangler

11. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

No idea about the earlier strats.

As to the white one ending up in Electric Lady studios.... remember the European tour was cancelled after Fehmarn so presumably a bunch of equipment was shipped back to New York. The white strat probably went with that. Remember no one ever found a white strat in London after Jimi died at least as far as we know. What is also interesting is the sunburst strat that was in Electric Lady studios. Where is it? Is there even a photo of Jimi playing a '68 sunbursrt strat anywhere? I've never seen one.

The photos I took of the headstock of the Mueseum strat headstock show beyond any doubt that the headstock was very vigorously cleaned up - the finish is clearly missing there and other than removing the cigarette burns I can't imagine how else that headstock could have ended up that way. At the time I saw the strat I still thought that there were 2 white ones and that the Rainbow Bridge/Fehmarn strat was missing. I really wish I could get back and see that guitar again and take some closeup photos of the area of the body where the mark is shown on the Rainbow Bridge/Fehmarn strat. From the pictures I did take I think it is possible.

If there is a second strat (the one with the mark) no one has ever claimed to have it. If it exists then it also has a pickguard screw missing at the same place as the Woodstock strat and it also has a single string tree in the same location as the Woodstock strat. That string tree location is different than the positioning of any other 68 strats I've seen other than Black Beauty. So if a second strat does exists it is very similar to the Woodstock strat.

If there was only one guitar we can at least give a plausible explanation. The guitar was used from late 68, early 69 on regularly, got dinged up prior to the LA '70 show because the mark is there by then, was used throughout the year, given to Mitch after Fehmarn, shipped back to NYC. Someone (Mitch) cleaned it up prior to auctioning it off because cigarette burns that were on the guitar at Woodstock are missing from the guitar that he sold. If he cleaned off the cigarette burns he probably cleaned up the rest of the guitar also. Attached are photos of Mitch with the guitar prior to him selling it.

Attached Files:

Erik_C likes this.