Guitar lessons at Guitar Center ?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Antstrat, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

My apologies for being a post hog lately (it will simmer down) but I got stuff to do.

I'm having a pain in the rump finding an instructor near me and I noticed my local GC is now set up with instructors. Has anyone gone there for lessons? It's close and they offer a wide variety of times. Maybe try it out and see or....keeping looking?

Stratafied and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, Circles got me on a roll with these memes lol.

3p56ox.jpg

3bolt79, Stonetone and circles like this.
  3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Lessons are the best way to go.
    It's important to have someone give you direction and criticism (constructive).

As far as guitar center goes, why not? If the rates are fair, and you like your instructor, I say go for it.

4. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I have taken them there on two seperate times in my life. First instructor, was bad. Unprepared, young and i got zero out of it. Lasted two months.
    Year later, open house thing, first instructor was banished so went for another month, better instructor. Very structured. Direct from their book. Worked fairly well, but towards the end of the book, the instructors lumitations started showing thru.

Back at the local college with lessons and for me, this is the best fit.

Best of luck

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Antstrat

They have a workbook you have to use? Is it user friendly for boneheads like me?

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Antstrat

I'm kinda leaning that way, no matter who I pick it's going to be a gamble so why not try GC considering its close by.

7. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Some of those young kids I’ve seen at GC can really play guitar, don’t know how they are so good at that young age but they are. Now whether they know how to convey that knowledge to someone and make them understand what they trying to teach is another story. I don’t know if any of them have a degree in teaching or music but like I said some are pretty darn good on a guitar. Back in 69 I was asked by 2 families to teach their children to play guitar. They heard me playing in a band and must have thought I could teach music. I told them straight out I wasn’t a teacher but if they wanted me to show them what I knew and the basics of playing I would. I did that for under a year, I think both kids lost interest in playing or maybe I sucked as an instructor I don’t really know but at least we gave it a shot, and had fun. Music isn’t everyones bag.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    3bolt79, duzie and Antstrat like this.
  8. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Michael row the boat ashore....

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Antstrat

18 or so years ago my first instructor was a raging hard core alcoholic in recovery. Nice guy but he still had serious issues. We lasted about 2 months due to him taking a leave from the store. Saw him a few months later at the store and the white of his eyes were yellow, turns out his liver was toast and he croaked soon after.

Second instructor was young, early 20's and graduated from one of those MT whatever guitar schools in LA. He'd say "here, let me show you a lick and then you play it" weedle weedle weedle weedle weedle weedle weedle at 100 mph. I just looked at him and said I can't even type that fast. We didn't last long either.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

My instructor once asked me "are you getting frustrated?"

I took that to mean HE was getting frustrated. :p

11. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A guitar instructor at GC is the same as a guitar instructor anyplace else … you might get a good one or a bad one ?

12. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

More than likely you will be better off going for lessons at a GC than by choosing a private instructor -- unless the private instructor comes highly recommended by a friend who plays. By going thru GC, the expectation would be that you should be able to complain about the lessons if they are not meeting your needs and hopefully be able to change instructors.... or get a refund.

3bolt79 and Antstrat like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Go down and interview one. You're giving the instructor a job. It's a job interview. Explain what you want to do and see if there is common ground.

14. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Well Why Not Online? Its pretty Cheap (~ $20USD per Month)and you have many many Instructors to choose from and Many styles and Direction you want to achieve and also you can progress and You can do it at your Own pace at anytime of day or Night, i find this Great and as for One to criticize you in a constructive way, I know of No one harder On me than Myself :)

alderre, rocknrollrich and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

In my opinion...there is nothing better than having an instructor who gets what you want to do sitting right in front of you. Nothing.

16. Antstrat

Maybe as a supplement down the road but I need to have someone in front of me, I learn a lot better that way and not just guitar stuff. I guess being an old fashioned geezer type I'm still big on human contact when possible!

17. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

a couple years ago I had time to take three lessons with a good teacher. I love Justin sander come and think he’s great, but three in person lessons is like a year of YouTube lessons.

18. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

At the gc near me I see lots of parents waiting while their kids get a lesson. The instructors would probably be happy to have you. Why not give it a shot?

Antstrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

You have nothing to loose :)

Stratoskater, Antstrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

True one on one is better and more personal and I’m sure you can learn faster that way but ATM these online courses are doing ok for me so I thought I’d mention that option :)

Antstrat likes this.