Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar lessons at Guitar Center ?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Antstrat, Feb 13, 2020 at 5:45 PM.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

I work with lawyers so I know all about getting to the point!

$35 a whack doesn't sound bad I guess the more I think about it, like you say if it's a good instructor then why spend time and gas just to save maybe $10 to go somewhere else.

I shall keep the forum posted, I know you all are just on the edge of your seats.....

(yea I know I'm FOS :))

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

You go to someplace like GC with lots of overhead, that's an understandable rate $70/hr. An independent guy might charge a little less. And there's the factor of different markets. I charged $25/hr in South Texas, but I charge $40/hr in Dallas. If I was trying to make a living at it, I'd have to charge more.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  3. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

And for the record, just because someone is a great player, doesn’t mean they’re going to be a good teacher. If they can’t explain, for example, why a chord is called a Minor 7th for example, then I’d find someone else. If they say to make this chord do this, but don’t know what it’s called, then I’d also find someone else.

Antstrat likes this.
  4. Antstrat

It's one of the most expensive places in the country here so it's looking like GC prices are fair. I'm planning on just 30 minute lessons that's enough theory for me, one small chunk at a time.

3bolt79 and rocknrollrich like this.
  5. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Way back in 68 my parents paid $2.50 for 30 minutes and we thought that was expensive. My guitar teacher came to my house every week. So maybe with inflation over the years that’s acceptable.

3bolt79 and Antstrat like this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

How are you going to approach it? "instruction" that is.
    I approach learning guitar in 2 halves.
    Musicality
    &
    The nuts and bolts of playing

Which are you most interested in improving? Theory or technique?
    I'm sure you'll make gains in both.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Antstrat

I'm glad you posted that, it's a really good question. Both actually but I was hoping to have a good enough instructor to advise which direction would be the best to tackle first. I can play enough to amuse myself but theory I'm almost dead in the water.

3bolt79 and rocknrollrich like this.
  8. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-Talker

Agreed, this is true and as for a teacher in anything its important that the teacher knows how to teach and Inspire, a great guitar player does not necessarily mean a great teacher :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

If you have that other store near you, check them too. I recall mine at $55/hr. 30 minute sessions were just too short. However, I am sure prices are regional. I am in central Virginia.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

@Antstrat

I take a 30-minute guitar lesson at my local GC every Sunday while my six-year-old son takes his drum lesson. I've been doing so for about six months now.

My instructor is a nice kid, a 20-something shredder who can play his a** off. We follow along to one of GC's instruction books, which is pretty basic and straightforward. The nice thing is that I bring the book home and can practice all week so we make good progress and I can come into the lesson with specific questions or sticking points we then work through.

One of the coolest things is that I can grab any guitar in the store for the lesson. They have a nice inventory of new stuff plus a decent wall of used/vintage. I know you can walk in off the street and play them all anyway, but there is something about putting each guitar through the paces of a regimented curriculum that clearly shows you the differences between them. It's been a cool experience.

11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm one that needs the feedback from an actual person/instructor. And @fezz parka is right. Go interview the instructor. Also look for an instructor that understands your age. It does make a difference. My two cents

12. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

I know many say in-person lessons are better, but I started playing when there are very few guitar instructional videos on YouTube. And I thought man, I wish there were more videos like this. And now there are hundreds if not thousands of such videos. I'm afraid if I tried in-person lessons nowadays I'd spend all my time looking for the 'back' button.

13. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

that’s pretty steep. I’m doing an hour a week at 100$ / month

14. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I’m 49 yrs old and deciding to take lessons again was the best decision I’ve made as far a music is concerned I hadn’t played in 20 yrs and knew I’d need help getting back into it. Found a teacher who taught acoustic blues / delta blues fingerstyle. Gotta day that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done musically speaking - that lasted 1.5 yrs - learned a ton of things but he was weak in theory and I was wanting to get into electric as that’d where my heart is. Changed teachers to a monster Guitar player who had a system laid out where it’s a blend of technique, theory and different genres. Told him I wanted to learn lead guitar and he started with my rhythm playing. And that was painful.

now he’s got me playing up and down the neck, working on major scales and modes Haven’t learned 1 song really. For lead playing, he’ll pick out a backing track in a genre im not familiar with and I’ve gotta find the key and go - and I’m not allowed to play fast or wail. It’s slow tempos, no dirt and no reverb. Bends have to be in pitch and vibratos have to be done in time. It’s an intense hour.

Bowmap likes this.
  15. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

I work with an old friend that is a professional musician who also gives lessons. He is currently living in Germany, we do lessons via video conference. Had been doing 2 2-hhour sessions/month @ $40/hr, but cutting back to 2 hrs/mo this year. The guy mostly plays punk, but he is also into roots music, and can play well in a number of genres. We have mostly been focused on roots music, but spend some time on rock.

What I like about this approach ... has a lot of the benefits of face-to-face individualized instruction, but no travel time, take your lesson in your own home, dressed as you are comfy. This instructor is a good fit, we used to play together in the 70's, I went into corp IT to pay the bills, he stuck with music.

What I don't like is we use free video conferencing, so the quality is sometimes compromised with excessive compression, and the lag time makes it almost impossible to play together ... other than that, love everything about it.

Had tried some lessons with a local instructor at $80/hr, but quit him because he was unorganized and I felt like he was charging too much for what he was delivering.

My instructor will do custom charts. He does tablature, not standard notation. But he will tab out a song for me at my request, and do an arrangement that I can play. Like he will strip out a bunch of passing chords that I fumble over, to come up with an easier arrangement that is doable given my current skills ... he also arranges his tablature so it is super easy to commit to memory.

I think I am really fortunate to have this guy, and this process works really well for me. Just something else to consider ...

16. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

HHHHHMMMMMMM???????????

How about going down there and meeting the instructor for yourself?

My instructor at GC has all the credentials and experience one could ask for and is a really cool guy as well.

I don't understand the hatred for GC at Strat-Talk. Really a shame to see. (This part not directed at the OP).

NC

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  17. Antstrat

I thought so too but after researching around it's just a wee bit pricey but the convenience for me in travel time is worth it. In my area minimum wage is $15 per hour so GC's prices are in range.

18. Antstrat

Have an appt to do just that on tuesday to see if we gel.

19. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Did you find an instructor yet?

20. Antstrat

Yes, at GC. I have an appt on tuesday to meet the guy and chat to see if he will be a good fit. First visit is free so no loss if it doesn't work out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.