Guitar Pro notation software – any users here?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by simoncroft, Jul 28, 2020.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I was sent a mailer from AudioDeluxe to say Arobas Music Guitar Pro 7.5 was on offer at $59 (and there's usually a small additional discount for members). https://www.audiodeluxe.com/product...310083929&mc_cid=32249618c2&mc_eid=94568e8230

Although I've signed up for a demo copy, I wondered if any S-T member have experience with this software?

https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index...lay.com&software=gp7demo&ask_check=1595952066

My first impression is: it looks pretty good, but I can do quite a lot of what it does in Logic Pro. However, the fact it is more specifically orientated to guitar may just tip it for me.

Sibelius software used to do something similar, but Avid took the software is a different direction, turning it into a more advanced, and expensive notation package for composers. The version I have won't run on any modern OS.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I miss Sibelius too.

I have one or two free editors, but offhand I couldn't tell you their names. I usually soldier on with my home grown beast, but how much longer it will keep going I don't know. I started writing it for Windows 9x...

I await your findings with mild interest. :D

simoncroft likes this.
  3. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I use it frequently. I love it. My use of this is a learning tool for me

Thrup'ny Bit and simoncroft like this.
  4. simoncroft

Well, I've only been playing with it for a few minutes, but you can import MIDI files, and you can display parts as notes on the stave, Tab and on the guitar neck. That makes it a very nice learning tool.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 18.11.43.png

Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I bought a copy recently to share songs I'm writing with my bandmates. I tried every free notation app I could find, but they were all clunky and awkward to use. Guitar Pro is a breeze. Easily worth the money if you have use for it.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I have it but don't mess around with it much - mostly just to alter tabs to make them shorter.

Thrup'ny Bit and simoncroft like this.
  7. simoncroft

I'm sitting on my hands at the moment, because Logic Pro will do everything Guitar Pro will do, and more, apart from showing you the notes on a guitar neck. I'm not sure whether that one feature is enough to tip it for me, especially as LP is a much better composition/production/arrangement tool.

Still, I was sent this link to instructional videos today, and I'm not saying 'no' just yet: https://support.guitar-pro.com/hc/e...-65230382&mc_cid=9cfff4b051&mc_eid=b50748e34c

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  8. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I've been using it since v5, 10 years or so. I love that I can import good midi files, solo a long, fast, complex guitar solo and break it down - note by note. I've tried to do the same thing with Logic but gave up very quickly as it has no awareness of frets of string number. They are very much complimentary.

Namelyguitar and simoncroft like this.
  9. simoncroft

I must admit, this program is growing on me. It made a very intelligent job of importing You Are The Sunshine of My Life by Stevie Wonder from a MIDI file. Sounds good, the notation seems right, and you can see any of the parts played on a bass or guitar 'board. Obviously, some of the fingerings are impossible, but that's for each individual player to work with.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  10. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

Besides Logic Pro, what other offerings are there that can provide same basic functions?

11. simoncroft

Depends which functions, specifically. Steinberg's DAWs have always had strong MIDI recording and score editing functions, because they were in the game before audio recording to a desk-top computer was even practical. Steinberg offers a whole raft of DAWs at different price-points, and I'm sure there is an upgrade path. Reaper is full-featured and very affordable. It certainly has score editing features. I haven't used it, but the detail in the downloadable menu suggests you could write a full orchestral score.

None of the above will display MIDI notes on a guitar 'board AFAIK. Is there a specific feature you're looking for? There are a lot of DAW-type products out there, over a wide range of price-points, so it's hard to know what to recommend.

Bowmap likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

I dare say you could, I'm quite willing to stand behind you, laughing while you try. :p

misterwogan and Bowmap like this.
  13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Guitar Pro 5 w/ CD. It's a keeper, yeah!

misterwogan and simoncroft like this.
  14. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

Silly me... here I am thinking Reaper is just for recording and mixing. But I do need the low IQ version. At the end of the workday, there are a lot of brain cells being put to rest.

15. simoncroft

There are two ways I could take that comment... :sneaky:

Assuming you're telling me Reaper is not quite the notation tool I imagined it to be, there are a couple of other DAWs I should maybe mention. I find Reason has very good MIDI import and editing facilities, but it's probably not the one you'd choose for notation. Last time I used Pro Tools, I was underwhelmed by the MIDI side in general, so I'd say it's more for the audio guys. (Others may disagree). The Pro Tools one is odd, because AVID also owns the Sibelius range of software, which is absolutely aimed at composers. I should also add that Sibelius|First is free: https://www.avid.com/sibelius

I'll let you know what I think when I've downloaded it.

Bowmap likes this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

It's very awkward to use, so I've never really persevered with it. The MIDI implementation is as good as anything I've come across.

simoncroft likes this.
  17. simoncroft

Well, I downloaded Sibelius|First and it was all a bit of a pain. In order to work, it has to link to Avid on-line, then it seized up trying to load plug-ins I don't actually use anymore. Probably my fault, but I really can't be bothered at the moment. When I logged on, I remembered I'd previously downloaded Avid's entry-level video editor and it was total junk. Honestly, you wouldn't think they'd already developed an industry-leading video editor!

As an Apple Mac user, I keep a copy of the free DAW GarageBand on my system, in case anyone has a technical question. I'd forgotten that it has score writing capabilities that are basically a cut-down of the Logic offering.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  18. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Oh Matron! :rolleyes:

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

[​IMG]

misterwogan likes this.
  20. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Logic Pro is a DAW, guitar pro is more a notation tool, they are designed for different things but have some crossover.

If I want to sketch out a quick idea to see how it sounds then I use guitar pro, but for the final recording I will use a DAW.

simoncroft likes this.