Guitar Pro notation software – any users here?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by simoncroft, Jul 28, 2020.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been working through this video. I've decided that, for now anyway, what I need to do is learn to get the best from the tools I have, rather than buying anything else. So, I Subscribed to Mr Baker's thread.

2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

Simon, Are you piping your guitar through MIDI Guitar 2 to create the MIDI tracks to be scored?

3. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

Folks, I don't know a lot about this, but, won't Band-In-A-Box do all of this type of thing, including showing a fret-board and chord/tab notation?

LMSS

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Have you looked into Musescore?

I have had no serious difficulties importing either midi, xml or abc files. It has a decent midi interface (enter notes from a midi keyboard, etc).

It produces excellent tab, even 5-string banjo tab and re-entrant uke tab...and defaults to an orchestral score.

Being freeware is a plus. It has its limitations but so far I like it a lot.

Thrup'ny Bit and simoncroft like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sure I did at some point. I don't know why I don't still have it, I'll have to look again.

6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Senior Stratmaster

I've had GP since version 5 too, I think. I mainly use it as a learning tool. To loop passages that I'm trying to learn for songs I like, slow it down, play along. Not so much to ape/mimic/play note for note, but to learn new riffs and patterns that I can use.

Somewhere along the way I obtained a collection of thousands of GP files, so there's a lot artists and songs I can reference.

*Full Disclosure: If I could ever learn stuff note for note and feel I would, but I can't seem to do it.

simoncroft likes this.
  7. simoncroft

Yes, sometimes. Other times, I use an M-Audio keyboard, and I'm starting to write more notes in directly onto the stave. They all have their plus points. :)

Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. simoncroft

Yes indeed, it does. I just checked it out here: https://www.pgmusic.com

It's not software I was particularly aware of, but it does a lot! I would think it could be an absolute godsend for a small demo studio that mainly works with solo singers, but yes, it also displays notes on a guitar neck (with left handed option). Looks like the entry price is $129... and rising. https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

The full thing is about three times that. I have a very old version (2006 I think) that I use occasionally, mainly to draw up charts for PMW and sometimes to add a particular style to a MIDI drum track.

(So that's how he does it :D)

simoncroft and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  10. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I use Guitar Pro to make tabs I can load into GoPlayAlong, a program that syncs tabs to digitally recorded backing tracks. It's a nice combination for anyone stuck playing at home. There are plenty of backing tracks online without the guitar parts, with or without vocals.

simoncroft likes this.
  11. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

I couple months ago I aquired an Arturia MINILAB. The closest I got to piano was listening to my neighbor practice her piano when I was in late grade school. In spite of a profound lack of keyboard training, that little keyboard is fun.

Thrup'ny Bit and simoncroft like this.
  12. simoncroft

I will admit to having the complete Arturia V Collection of classic synths, plus their Pigments software synth. That's borderline greedy, really. Then again, a Prophet 5 was about £1,000 when it was released in 1978 , so I think I'm getting good value. :D

Some free notation software. My wife uses one of their audio transcription products, and it does the job just fine.

https://www.nch.com.au/notation/ind...MIqbWlm46C6wIVKMu7CB1Ijg8zEAEYASAAEgJ8rPD_BwE

Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  13. simoncroft