Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar shop for DIY'ers

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Rob Moreno, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I love my local guitar shop. It's like Radio Shack for guitars.

IMG_1115.JPG

2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I could wax lyrical, about a guitar shop back in the day. Sadly no longer there.

It could have been described as tangled Aladdin's Cave. Draws full of bits and pieces accumulated over time, and guitars hanging on walls that had both dust and fingerprints on them. Organised chaos was a good description.

The smell inside was a mixture of many things, aged building being one of them. The shop was housed in an old Victorian building. Well patina'd wooden paneling that had been both lent against and caressed over the years, and plaster ceilings that looked decidedly dodgy in places.

What was most memorable though was the fact that it was a true meeting place. Many musicians of all ages congregated there, sipping strong tea that you could make yourself in the back kitchen. I remember being mesmerized by the skill of some of the 'old' guys who visited. Those 'old' guys were probably in their 40's.. ha!

So yes, wonderful memories of what was a different time and place. Guitar shops that weren't at all corporate, on a mission to sell X-amount of units per week. Maybe that's why it closed in the end, didn't sell enough to pay the rent. A lovely old shop though, that played its part in my own musical journey..

Rob Moreno likes this.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness Powered Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    Ah yes, I remember it well.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That is pretty terrific.

6. ricklt

ricklt Strat-Talk Member

Jun 8, 2017
    US
    Where is it, if I'm not out of line in asking?

7. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    It's a 5 min. walk from Ikebukuro station in Tokyo. Ikebe Gakki. There's an annex shop next door to it that sells only effects pedals. Hundreds of them, new and used. Stay away if you have GAS.

8. ricklt

ricklt Strat-Talk Member

Jun 8, 2017
    US
    Not likely to get to Tokyo.

9. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    IMG_1120.JPG I found another one today. A bit too hardcore for me.

vid1900, Monkeyboy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

10. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    now that is just too amazingly great!