Guitar stores putting their cheap, ugly branding on expensive headstocks

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratocarlster, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Here in the UK it's common for car dealers to put their sticker in the rear screen. Peel it off and the demister tracks come with it.

2. scozz

scozz Strat-Talk Member

First time I've heard about anything like that!

I won't even buy car if the name of the Dealership is etched on the back.

3. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

So they do! I find that strangely comforting.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Fail. If it were a historic store, with selective inventory, a selective clientele, and notable service department, like say, Manny's, Elderly, Mandolin Brothers, etc, I might allow an understated but tasteful decal.

5. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. It’s not a big deal to remove license plate frames and even dealer decals from the back of my car. Auto finishes are pretty tough and I don’t mind doing a little work to take the decals off. Any new car I’ve purchased has been ordered and those deliveries have typically been preceded by the dealership asking me about my preference for branding—I always politely decline and let them know that I repay the lack of “free advertising” with actual referrals. And that seems to go over just fine. I also just noticed that a car I recently brought in for detailing had the detail shop’s sticker placed on the end of the door—invisible until you open the door. I applauded the creativity and they’ve done great work for me, so I didn’t mind. I would have appreciated the opportunity to have the same referral conversation with them, but no big deal. I’ve also had dry-cleaners stamp numbers on the inside of the button tape on a dress shirt. That one is weird, but again, no harm no foul. Luckily, I’ve not had any stickers forcibly placed on guitars I’ve purchased...it is historically something dealers have done but I’d always appreciate them asking me if it’s ok on a new guitar. Asking permission is always a great option...them showing consideration is a great way to build credibility with me as a customer. I think I’d be more likely to decline with a guitar though just due to the fickle nature of finishes.

stratocarlster likes this.
  6. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

We bought a dodge intrepid from a local dealer, back when they first came out. When we looked at it and drove it, there was no dealer insignia on it. When we went to take delivery, there it was a big dealer metal thingie, with holes punched into the trunk lid. We refused delivery. Wow, were they angry! Lots of hemming and hawing. I told them I saw no reason to be advertising their dealership for free. Either replace the car or return 1000 bucks. We took the thousand. Felt GREAT.

stratocarlster, Mouse and circles like this.
  7. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

That story is actually connected to my post via the draft. I have told this story in a couple of other posts before but anyway, I bought that Les Paul from my post above in '75 (it was a '71) from the parents of a draft-dodging son who took off for Canada a few years before and left his guitar and amp at home. I guess they finally figured he wasn't coming back and put it up for sale. It was like brand new when I bought it and I've kept it in good shape over the years considering that I used to gig with it since it was my only electric for a long time. No dealer stickers on it luckily! Might as well show it off:
    IMG_4595.JPG IMG_4565.JPG LPC.PNG IMG_4556.JPG

8. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I remember those metal plates. Often bigger than the car name itself. Good for you for standing your ground!

9. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

yuk. thankfully I didn't buy my first guitar till the late 80s and never seen this happen. I do vaguely recall either the shop's sticker or ink stamp being applied to sheet music though.