Join Strat-Talk Today

Guitar value

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Dec 1, 2019.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is an interesting development, especially in the light of @vid1900's observation. I had a MIM Jazz Bass, which played great, but it wasn't as nicely made as the MIA Precision I had around the same time. Let's not forget, Fender shot themselves in the foot with the early Japanese Squiers, and they definitely learned to make sure that every model is matched in quality to its intended price point. They do not want top session players saying "my main guitar is a MIM."

I couldn't begin to explain why used MIM prices are riding so high in the UK. Because they look about the same in the pictures?

Miotch, s5tuart, Neil.C and 1 other person like this.
  2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Yep. I think there's some strange psychological stuff that goes on regarding prices of things. Depending on the product and the price, something might not sell well when it's priced cheaply, but sometimes if the price is increased a bit, it might sell better due to perceived quality for the price.

Another part of it might be due to the fact that most people don't see what's all involved in making a guitar (or any product), so most people don't have a good way to judge a product's quality, other than buy buying and using it themselves. And on a related note, I'm surprised at how much some things get marked up (such as jewelry, fashion bags/accessories, etc.).

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sure a major factor in establishing the Fender Custom Shop, and then the Master Built tier, was to set a 'flagship' price point, which in turn made it easier to raise the price point for the rest of the line. It's a lot easier to convince people that $1,500 is a fair price for a guitar if people know there's a model at $2,000 and another at $3,000.

LPBlue, Neil.C, Duane_the_tub and 3 others like this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Nobody pays list price for a new guitar (I mean, I hope you are not paying full price...).

A brand new MIA Pro on sale right now is $999 with a HSC.

(looking today on CL, it looks like 4 people are asking $850-1100)

American Specials were usually $629 on sale (no case)

(looking today on CL, there is only a single specimen asking $700)

So I'm not seeing any 50% depreciation in my market.

If anyone is selling any MIA Pros for $500 w/ HSC, or MIA Specials for $300, PM me.

smithstrato, Neil.C, fretter and 3 others like this.
  5. vid1900

Think of it this way, Fender has to keep up with inflation; if they don't they go out of business.

A $290 1959 Strat would cost $2,600 in today's dollars with inflation.

We are getting a much better guitar, for less money, today.

6. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

My pristine used American Standard was $900 at a local music store and at that time the new models were $1300. I usually buy used but where do you find those deals? If Musicians Friend or Guitar Center asks X price is it negotiable lol?

7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

$900 is what I would have expected fromna music store over here if the price of a new one was $1300. You don't find tgose deals in music stores, you have to go on the private market. Reverb or CL.

8. vid1900

If you see the same guitar, for the same price at MF, AMS, GC and SW - DON'T PAY THAT PRICE. That is full list price, so it would not be smart to pay that.

If you have broken your last guitar, and absolutely can't wait for a sale, call your rep. He can always get you 15-20% off that SW is not allowed to advertise.

But the smartest thing, is to wait for a real sale.

Well, for instance, here is a brand new, American Professional with HSC, free shipping, and no tax for $999.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/...nal-strats-999-w-hsc-free-ship-no-tax.527096/

That's $673 cheaper than the GC, and $567 cheaper than SW.

Never pay retail.

FUGETABOUTIT.jpg

9. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-Talker

Ouch

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

They don't. Any guitar is usually worth about 50-70% of its original retail price - both MIM and MIA....even Squier.....

Bob the builder and CB91710 like this.
  11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Of course it’s negotiable. I got $500 off my new PRS Custom 22 two weeks ago. All I did was say I know $500 is your max discount (look on any GC coupon you get and it’ll say 15% off up to $500) and this is a $3,600 guitar so I want you to knock $500 off. Sales guy went to talk with manager and 2 minuets later he said no problem. Sweetwater gave me $650 off a Martin 000 28 in March. All you have to do is ask.

mikej89 and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

This contradicts the narrative, however true or not, that they just ship the parts south of the border, and save on labor.

13. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

ahahahaha it’s so cute that ppl believe this

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Surely someone more knowledgeable than myself can verify this but I've read that Mexican and USA Strats use the same necks. The USA necks just have more attention to detail in the finish work like rolled fret edges.

fretter likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Absolutely not the same necks... or bodies, or pickups, or hardware except maybe the tuners.
    Walnut truss rod inlay with biflex truss rod vs plastic sleeve and standard truss rod.
    Different radius, finishes, fretwire....

The "ship them to Mexico for assembly" was only the case for a short period while the Ensenada factory was getting up and running and did not have a fully operational fab shop. Corona filled in with supplies and Mexico handled paint and assembly, then they were shipped back to Corona for final inspection and shipping.
    That was 20-some years ago.

16. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Yep.

It is pretty amazing that people still believe that Ensenada is just an assembly point for U.S. Parts.

I wonder what that large Mexican factory is for? ;)

rocknrollrich, CB91710 and fretter like this.
  17. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

This is some great information. There seems to be an abundance of threads, not necessarily on this site, asking if MIAs are overrated, or claiming that there's no compromise in getting an MIM or Vintage Modified Sqier.

Stratafied likes this.
  18. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The OP is talking price not quality or performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Craigslist is probably not the best source to use. Take a look at selling prices on eBay or reverb and look at the prices at a place like Guitar Center. Then you will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Did you forget that I was a purveyor in the field of antiques for a decade?:sneaky::D

simoncroft likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.