Guitar YouTubers...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by RhinestoneStrat, Apr 11, 2021.

1. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 Strat-Talk Member

absolutely agree with both of these except that pedal show can get annoying sometimes bc they are so big that they aren’t able to get to all the questions and mick (the one with hair?) comes off super pretentious at times. I still love the show and they have wonderful info.

I like Paul David’s a lot as well, but i think he’s gone too far down the rabbit hole of marketing himself. He plays wonderful and knows a lot but I don’t want to pay $200 for a course when I could spend that on new gear and parts.

I’ll also add Dylantalkstone - amazing info and he’s been going on for 7 years or so now I think. He builds and sells his own pickups that would compare to the best of the best. I like his shoe because he doesn’t put up with the BS of “guitar religion” and is all about the science of it. He’s not all about marketing himself either - down to earth dude just teaching skills and guitar tech

RhinestoneStrat and J4ME5 like this.
  3. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

David Simpson a truly talented guitarist. He gets lost in the music when he plays and its refreshing to see that. He does some gear reviews etc...
    I follow him and his opening jams are great to mind boggling.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  4. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Senior Stratmaster

You wanted to like Mary Spender? I seriously wanted to marry Mary Spender...for her Fenders!:) Having a wife who is obsessed with guitars would probably go well with all you guys who occasionally suffer from G.A.S.;)

fos1 and J4ME5 like this.
  5. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Senior Stratmaster

Scott Drove a.k.a Dr. Groovy is the ULTIMATE. His videos may be somewhat lengthy but he usually gets to the point. He is a person who really doesn't give a flying fook about what others think and I think he seriously is sincere about actually exposing guitar myths and other myths (amplifiers, guitar pedals, etc...). Being a successful session musician...he knows his stuff. I sure miss his classic video that got taken down from YouTube due to unruly language. It was that video called "I'm a dumb motherf^@$#*#" basically aimed at MyLesPaul forum members...which he used to be a member...but not no more.:oops: He exposed the tone wood debates which he obviously thinks is B.S. especially when he was playing his Les Paul guitar going up the fret board. The parts without M.O.T.S. inlays were too f***ing bright when fretted and too f***ing warm on the rosewood parts...classic!:)

[​IMG]

Stonetone likes this.
  6. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I think her girlfriend might have something to say about that!

pwhite and s5tuart like this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Also +1 On Rhett Shull, Guy does amazing explanations of effects and amps and guitars

For those who Missed his explanation on Compressors seeing as it's the hardest pedal to understand and Use this Def helped me Understand quite a bit on Compression

dbb541 and RhinestoneStrat like this.
  8. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

I’ve burnt myself out of these channels, I haven’t watched one of these videos in over a month. Maybe I need a temp break or it’s permanent, don’t know. Good luck to them, it was a nice way for some musicians to make music and get paid on their passion while people were stuck at home, especially those learning about a new hobby. I wish them the best and hope the ones who play gigs can get back to it and hopefully earn a living that way.

9. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I’ll look up Tom Quayle, ( and w/Dawsons), Marty Music, Steve Stine to learn a song or some tech stuff, thats it.

I don’t get all the unboxing, gear reviews, and all the other assorted drama.

What I really miss is Mark Agnesi’s Guitar of the Day ( especially Straturday!) from Norms. He and Jen were funny together, and seeing all those guitars was great!

Michael Lemmo? Nice guy but meh.....

10. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I did like Leo and Mary on this video but I suspect the drive came from Leo!

Stonetone and RhinestoneStrat like this.
  11. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

I get a little burnt out on YT videos, seems like half the folks are either extremely poorly scripted, or just on there to hear themselves talk. So after about 30 seconds of "blah-blah-blah-blah" I turn half of them off. Useless banter, like "This is really cool!" neither quantifies a parameter, nor tells us anything new, or useful.

12. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Le Misanthrope Silver Member

Conversely, Chris Buck recently made an argument that some YouTubers may be this generation's guitar heroes...

Stonetone and RhinestoneStrat like this.
  13. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

I might watch the occasional review of a particular model, but most of the YT guitar channels bore me to tears.

I find the repair/restoration videos much more interesting these days.

14. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Very inspiring.

15. T-Rey

T-Rey StealYourFace Silver Member

Here's a YouTuber I've really been, uh err, enjoying lately. She's hot but she does have the chops!

16. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mary Spender was very good originally. Some months ago she made a post about how little she made from Youtube, something like $1.00 for a million hits. She also had to move to a smaller place from what appeared so be something beautiful in the country.

Since then her content has gone down in relevance and quality. Too bad. She is a wonderful musician. Maybe it will turn around.

17. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Phil McKnight is cool.
    CSGuitars is very informative.
    Sophie Burrell is a good watch.

Stevie T has turned into clickbait crap.
    Music is Win also.

Mary Spender knocks me sick... Reeks of a spoiled rich kid.

18. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    "but"? Don't you mean "and"?

19. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

I like Ben Eller, he does really good lessons with Southern humor. His weekend wank shops are good as well.

shobotan and Blue Beagle like this.
  20. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

+1, forgot about him