Guitarator Toolbox

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by wuzzo, Jul 25, 2021.

1. wuzzo

wuzzo Strat-Talk Member

Hello-

Guitarator Toolbox
    http://store.guitarator.com/toolbox/intro/

Does anybody know if this is an outright purchase software or is it subscription ?
    I can't find any details anywhere- plenty of options to pay but nothing that states what I'd be buying.

Also, any comments from users welcomed.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Doesn't look like any more information, and probably less, than you can get from this shareware/freeware app/program.

https://www.guitaristsreference.com

No real help files (at least the pc version) but it's not that hard to figure out how to use it.

wuzzo likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's plainly written in the description, that it's $19.99 to purchase it.....it's not a subscription....

"
    Click the Buy Now button below to purchase Guitarator Toolbox"

wuzzo likes this.
  4. wuzzo

wuzzo Strat-Talk Member

Yes- but ' purchase ' might mean to purchase a year's subscription. It also states ' Free updates for a year '- which is common for a subscription software.
    Have you purchased it yourself ?

5. wuzzo

wuzzo Strat-Talk Member

What I want from the software is the ' Chordorator' feature which analyses the notes that I input into chords I can give my keyboard player to transpose. It also gives the option of which instrument you're playing and how you've tuned it- handy for 5/6 string bass. Once I'm sure it's an outright purchase I'll buy it for that feature.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's as simple as that in plain english....it plainly states......purchase and free updates, meaning in the year that you purchase the software - if they ever release updates, you get them for free......it's a fairly common practice....otherwise it would say monthly or subscription or 'recurring'.....

wuzzo likes this.
  7. wuzzo

wuzzo Strat-Talk Member

Yes- confirmed that now and bought it. Very handy on practice nights with no internet. :)

Thanks for the replies and the advices.

8. wuzzo

wuzzo Strat-Talk Member

Footnote- the damn thing only goes up to the 14th fret- ten frets missing. I'm going to have to input into the lower registers.

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'm pretty sure the reference allows you to do that.

I'm sure it allows you to pick alternate tunings.

In any tuning you can use Finder to enter the notes and it will tell you what chords they comprise. Finder is the equivalent of what you referred to as the Chordorator.

Primary difference seems to be the ability to adapt it to different instruments. Although you could do a 6 string bass by merely creating a custom tuning, there's no real option to add a 7th string.

If you have time to post a bit once you've explored it, I'd be interested in comparing the two further.

wuzzo likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Seems to be a limitation on both. Reference only goes to 15. Seems like an easy improvement for them to make to just raise the entire fretboard an octave so that you could move between registers.

wuzzo likes this.
  11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Correction to my previous post. While no option to add strings the Alternate Tunings and the Preset Tunings have some for other instruments including Baritone guitar, Balalaika, Mandoguitar, Dobro...

Could use some support for 4, 7 or other stringed instruments though...

wuzzo likes this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I like the way the scale function displays tab as well as standard notation. It's be nice if it did that the the Designer and Chordorator functions as well and allowed you to print the notation along with the tab for any other players/transcriptionists.

The interface is also a little less clumsy in selecting a specific chord because it allows you to type the name instead of clicking to a page where you build the name and hitting submit.

I misspoke earlier. Chords is the same as Chordorator and Finder is the same as the Designer. But very similar functions. Each interface has it's own advantages and both do one or more things the other doesn't that the other could benefit from, i.e., toobox shows some notation/tab, but for scales the reference allows you to pick a particular position, or all positions (which is the default display for toolbox), which is a little better visually, than toolbox's outlining that position with all displayed.

And both lack at least the feature to change the octave/register. I would think that could be done with either an option to select the frequency of the root note, although it would seem easier to just be able to raise the Play function up or down an octave.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

The software is from 2008, so I don't think subscription software was a big thing back then....