Guitars and heat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shockmaster, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Sorry if this is the wrong sub for this, I guess in my collection there are strats, so I’ll try and hope I’m asking this right? Feel free to delete or move If so mods.

Hi guys. I’ll try and make it quick and simple. I have a “laundry room / storage room” that’s indoors but has very thin walls and is basically and extension out of the house. When I say thin walls, I mean partial board. I live in Los Angeles and it gets VERY hot in that room in the summer. The heat gets trapped in there. I have somewhat of a small studio going on in the extra space that the laundry machines don’t occupy. I have some acoustics and electrics on a guitar stand and they’re out in the open of the room. No sun directly hitting them, but they are definitely sitting in some heat. It gets 100+ degrees here in the summer. It’s VERY dry though. Really no moisture or humidity. Are they okay? Is there something I have to worry about with the wood? Electronics? Integrity and strangeness of the necks? Any info and recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

they are going to die! especially the acoustics

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Shockmaster

Good to know. Ugh, now is the fun part of bringing them all in daily and bringing them all out. I have 2 kids and limited space so I was hoping to have found a permanent solution. Well, I gotta do what I gotta do. Guess it’s only for the hot months. Thanks for the response!

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Adding the moisture from the laundry room would make it death row for guitars....

3bolt79 and Jason D like this.
  5. Shockmaster

Doesn’t get too much moisture from them. It’s a decent sized room as well. But I’ll be sure to bring them in and play it safe. Thanks for the heads up!

Attached Files:

fos1 likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Keep the guitars in their cases and near the floor where it's cooler rather than up high. Acoustics I'd keep in the house, up on wall hangers so the kids can kick them over like floor stands. Although the moisture from the laundry activities might actually help the acoustics over having them inside the house dry AC system. Get a pair of Hygrometers (cheap off ebay models are fine) and mount one in the house and one in the laundry room and see how they compare over time. Move the acoustics as necessary. Electrics are going to be quite hardy. The only problem they may have is any rapid changes in humidity bending the neck and needing truss rod adjustments. So if you play them all the time in the laundry room then store them there (but maybe in the cases and not on the stands).

fos1 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Yep, you will do good to bring them in. The fretboards will shrink, and on the acoustic, if the neck isn’t a bolt on, will crack along the sides of the fret board. Also, the bridge might decide to come off.

8. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Strat-Talker

Hang Em High on the wall inside your house. I use studs to anchor the mount to, and use 3" wood screws.

You could always tear out that decorative inner wall, and install some R13 insulation in there, then re panel it with 3/8" plywood, then you will have a cooler room and even more space on the wall to hang stuff. It's really easy work with a hammer, saw, stapler, and nails. Should already have breathing mask.

9. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

From California too. We don't have to deal with the humidity out here but the dry heat will twist necks and really hot days can cause bridges to lift off acoustics. I'd bring them inside. I play all my gear in the garage but I store it in the house because its a damn sauna out there.

10. marksound

marksound Strat-Talker

Air conditioner. Window unit. Even if the room isn't insulated, it will bring the temp down a few degrees. A couple of fans to circulate the air will add to the effect.

I work out of my garage on the SW corner of my house. It gets hot here in OK, but I can work all summer and be reasonably comfortable.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

It has more to do with the temperature swing.. if it gets 100 during the day, how cool at night.. if it drops too much the guitars will be constantly expanding and contracting, every day, day after day... not good.. that for a guitar is like buying a used car from a beachside residence... the salt is hell on a car... the temperature swing is hell on a guitar...

r

dirocyn and Robins like this.