Guitars (or any musical instrument) and relationships

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jul 23, 2020.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Three rules to teach your kids for a happy life:

1. NEVER get married

2. NEVER knock any girls up, especially if you live in Mississippi

3. Make a big deal out of selling any instrument "I'm putting that black 12-string I never play on CL". Then when that box from Adorama is sitting on the porch, she can't get mad, because you used the funds from the old guitar "Honey, remember? I sold the 12-string last month??".

bloomz, JB74, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You obviously know nothing about having kids, you can't TELL them anything.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

LOL

I've got it easy, because I have a niece and 2 nephews.

We get to do all the fun stuff, shoot guns, weld, bike the trails, work on their self-defense skills.

They all play multiple instruments and use my house as a hideout when they are battling with their parents

They know I don't take any shlt and won't be lied to, so it's much easier than being their parent.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Yup, thought so. :D

3bolt79, vid1900 and BallisticSquid like this.
  5. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master

Goo
    Good Advise!

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

My wife is in 4 bands, sits in with another one, and does various solo/duet projects. She actually insisted that I buy the last guitar I got. A Gretsch, no less !

bloomz, Scott Baxendale and JB74 like this.
  7. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I have a hard time believing this was the first time she behaved like a passive-aggressive head case and you still kept her around? My house, my rules, any female can take it or leave it. But if she mistreats a guitar or motorcycle she won't be heard from again.

Some rules are not meant to be broken.

NC

8. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

This X 1000, X 1000, X 1000.

The reason I am single, no woman will ever be allowed to have any control over me. If she thinks she can control my behavior by issuing an allocation of fine-china she can think again. NOTHING in the world is worth allowing another human being to have control over me.

NC

9. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

Gretsch is cool! 20200511_101802.jpg

dante1963 and RB522 like this.
  10. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Guitarnomics:

Ebay is a beautiful thing.....i can recoup the money selling other stuff so easily.

And if you look at gear purchases and sales like I do it's FREE MONEY. (Bloomz theory of guitarnomics)

What I paid doesn't matter cuz that money is gone..... anything I get back out of my purchases New Found Money!!!

If I buy a piece of gear for $1,000 and then sell it for $750, i didn't "lose" anything, i GAINED $750 in new money.

Try looking at it that way it makes gear purchases much easier... but don't even bother trying to explain that to the wife because they just don't get it.

You may want to practice this...

Wife simply says "You bought another guitar?"

I say, "Yep", and that's the end of it.

NEVER seek permission, it sets very bad precedents.

OH, and if they ask how much, the answer is always "couple hundred bucks".

If they dig deeper, change the subject.

That will be 50 cents for these profound bits of advice please.....

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

What kind of precedents? Why would it be so bad to mention things you're thinking about buying to your significant other? It seems to me when you're in a committed relationship, you have to take your significant other into consideration with many things. You wouldn't want to drain the bank account too much without your significant other knowing. What if you both bought something expensive at the same time and then realize your bank account is down to almost nothing? You wouldn't want to do something reckless.

12. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's an easy one - I don't spend money I don't have. Pretty easy to monitor your bank account yeah?

Now *my* experience with wives, having considerable experience observing others close to me as well, is, the more you *let* them boss you around, the more they do it. You gotta nip that stuff in the bud, unless it's too late already.

My BIL won't go to a movie without permission, and has to buy things and have them delivered to me so she won't know. Nauseating.

13. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Strat-Talk Member

My wife has her hobbies. She gets shipments of small stuff every couple of days. This works out because she’ll say “I’ve spent a lot lately so go ahead and buy that guitar you wanted”. I’m not in the same league with a lot of you here but neither is my playing. I’m happy because I have what I want.

14. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

You should never get caught having fun doing something that doesnt involve your woman....might be music or gaming or aircraft modelling....it doesnt matter....if you are having fun without her and she gets wind of it?Prepare yourself.....a nice solution is to practice the mildly miserable look on your face to throw her off but....its usually futile......:D.

bloomz likes this.
  15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

There's a difference between being bossed around and just discussing your decisions and things you want to buy, etc.. And it goes both ways too - There are probably things your significant other could potentially do that would bother you.

Also, for your BIL's situation, even if packages are delivered to your place, I'd imagine she could still notice money going down or purchases made on the credit card etc..? And eventually she'd see his new purchases in the house.. If he's worried about having an argument, I'd think he's only delaying it.

I think people are allowed to have some interests & things they like to do that their significant other might not be totally interested in. :)

bloomz likes this.
  16. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

My wife usually talks me into, not out of, buying guitars. Guess I'm a lucky dude.

bloomz likes this.
  17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-Talk Member

As soon as a hipster band adds a cello for some sort of ironic coolness is the very second I ironically leave the club.