Hand cream

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I tend to suffer from dry / cracked skin on my hands around this time of year. Tried lots of remedies and potions and have just seen a TV ad. for ‘America’s best selling hand cream, O’Keefe’s Working Hands’. Anyone use it and think it’s good, bad or indifferent? Any drawbacks for a guitarist?
I got the same problem. I use this.
646C12F6-CC29-4DAA-90CA-2B0113B8797A.jpeg
it’s great and not greasy. Absorbs completely into the skin quickly and doesn’t smell bad.

BluesForDan

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2008
southern NH
this is why humidification is not just for guitars. If your skin is dry and cracking, your domicile is too damn dry.

that said, I've used Udder Balm with great success. So far this season, I have not had to use it. I started using the humidifier early in Nov, keep it full all the time and *knock on wood* haven't had dry, cracked hands yet.

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
Dry skin often starts with diet, not enough vitamins, minerals and good fats.

Over consumption of water actually makes it worse by depleting electrolytes

Patlogsdon

Strat-Talker
Dec 23, 2021
NC
I'm a mechanic. I wash my hands with cherry gojo dozens of times a day because of eczema with cold water. No dry skin or breakouts for 15 years plus since I started doing this. Gloves will have me broke out in an hour.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I lived in Kansas for a number of years. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing worked and still works for me.

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
My wife has chronic dry skin on her hands and swears by this stuff.

images_large.jpg

Clickitysplit

Strat-O-Master
May 25, 2021
Temecula, CA
Dry skin often starts with diet, not enough vitamins, minerals and good fats.

Over consumption of water actually makes it worse by depleting electrolytes

I find the latter usually presents itself to me more quickly as muscle fatigue and cramps than dry skin. The dynamic duo of coffee and alcohol in the diet seem to accelerate all these problems…

Old Red

New Member!
Jul 8, 2017
Castleton on Hudson NY
I use Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream and /or O’Keefe’s Working Hands Night Treatment at bedtime, which seem to work pretty well, but don’t eliminate all the cracks in my hands. I don’t like having greasy hands while I am awake so I don’t use any moisturizer during the day. I tried bag balm years ago-I found that it took a very long time to be absorbed and smelled strongly of lanolin, which I didn’t care for.

trapdoor2

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina
I grew up using Bag Balm and/or Cornhusker's Oil (and WD40, engine oils, greases, etc.).

Miz Diane found some kind of stuff from Trader Joe's that works well.