Happy ending for a P-Bass..

BluesGuitarist

Strat-Talker
Jun 18, 2012
Louisiana
I know this is "Other Guitar Discussion", but people rarely post on "Ace's Bass Place", so I hope it's ok to post here..

So, I've had this P-Bass copy living in a corner for about 3 years.. It was caked with gunk and dust, and the bridge, saddles, and frets were caked with rust.. And about 4 days ago, I got an offer from a friend to buy it for $30.. I told him I'd think about it, and that it needed some work and TLC.. His offer stood, if I cleaned it up.. So, I took it apart, gave the body and neck a good scrub, steel wooled the frets, and re-wired the electronics.. I also left the brigde, saddles, screws, and springs in a glass of Coca-Cola for about 7 hours.. (It actually gets rust off)..

Then, I put it all back together to decide that I want to keep it.. So, I ordered some new strings, and a stand for it.. Overall, its a happy ending for my bass..

View attachment 69090

View attachment 69091

View attachment 69092

View attachment 69093

View attachment 69094

Stratosaurus

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2006
Roseburg, OR
That looks pretty good. I'm glad you decided to keep it. By the looks of it, the Coke did a good job. I got a tune-o-matic that needs de-rusted. I'll pick up a can of Coke for that.

Tip: Cola is also good for dissolving corrosion on car batteries.

BluesGuitarist

Strat-Talker
Jun 18, 2012
Louisiana
That looks pretty good. I'm glad you decided to keep it. By the looks of it, the Coke did a good job. I got a tune-o-matic that needs de-rusted. I'll pick up a can of Coke for that.

Tip: Cola is also good for dissolving corrosion on car batteries.

Thanks! I probably should've left the springs in the Coke for a few more hours, but I'm very impatient...