Happy new MIDI controller day

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by simoncroft, Jan 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

This thing is really cool! :D

Bowmap likes this.
  2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Get to work and stop playing centipede!

simoncroft likes this.
  3. simoncroft

The first time I set up a MIDI controller using Logic's Controller Assignments, I was so wrapped up in learning how to make CAs work, I made a rookie mistake. What I forgot to document was what each button and rotary on the controller actually did. As a result, what I managed to create was a functional controller I never really used, because was always easier to default to the mouse or trackpad.

This time, I've created a spreadsheet, showing what the first level of 40 plug-in assignments actually addresses. I've already written some of the assignments into Logic, and I'll post more about how I did that soon.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 02.03.30.png

Bowmap likes this.
  4. simoncroft

I've just worked out a way that when I switch to a particular plug-in, a PowerPoint slide pops up on a screen to show what the all the rotary on the right (depicted above by large letter Os) actually do. This saves me from trying to memorise how al 40 plug-ins are laid out, or manually dig out the diagram for the plug-in I want to address. (Well that would be a timesaver, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:)

This is the software that converts MIDI and other protocols into instructions software like PowerPoint can understand and action: https://centralcontrol.io/powerpoint-midi-control/ OK, it only runs under Windows, but if I make my MacMini dual-boot, and connect my smaller audio/MIDI interface to it, I should be home and dry. I'm guessing I could perform this trick using the open source Office-alike OpenOffice, meaning I could get this up and running for less than $50.

Meanwhile, I have a shed load of controller assignments to key in...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    Bowmap likes this.
  5. simoncroft

I've found an app called ProPresenter: https://renewedvision.com/propresenter/It's a multi-media show control, aimed mainly at Houses of Worship who want to present visual images, the words to hymns, video etc to congregations. Best of all, it can be cued using MIDI messages, and the personal use version (not to be shown to audiences) is free.

That means if I create a 40-slide presentation showing the function of all the controls for each individual plug-in, I can send the same MIDI Note On value from the APC40 to activate the plug-in in LPX and related slide in ProPresenter.

So far, this is a concept, rather than a completed set-up, but I'll let you know how I get on. Of course, I'd love to hear from anyone who done, or would like to try, a similar path.

Bowmap likes this.
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Hey MIDI... Load BTS and turn on my Kat and order a Pizza.

simoncroft likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

My head hurts now. I think it's pint o'clock...

simoncroft likes this.