Hard Case Questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ian Ashdown, Oct 15, 2020.

1. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

I’ve got hard cases for everything. I’ve assembled some high end partscasters that I’ve wanted something special for and I’ve gotten those from G&G directly. I’ve assembled a few “historical” type guitars and wanted something with a little more “historical” vibe to put them in, so I found the guy that supplies Nash with his faux gator-covered thermometer-type cases and I have several of those. Pretty much anything I’ve bought came with a hard case, so there’s those. The only ones I’ve cared to upgrade have been made my TKL...they feel like they never align properly, lots of twist and poor hardware for the most part. I’ve got a couple by Ameritage that are really high-end and they are truly awesome. And then I have this old wooden thing...

upload_2020-10-16_6-48-59.jpeg

2. rhodesworks

rhodesworks New Member!

I have hard cases fir each guitar i own. I use them every time i take them out of the house. I have flight cases fir my three main stage guitars which generally are transported in the gear truck but if i have to fly I’m confortable checking them. I keep a couple of gig bags in the car in case i run into a deal.

3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Most have one. I've got a Harley Benton, Epiphone SG, Epiphone acoustic, and cheapo bass in bags. My Taylor lives in the provided "hard bag"... it's probably better protection than a lot of cheaper cases.
    I find nothing wrong with the currently available better quality cases (generally $150+)
    They are heavy ;)
    No... it may actually be detrimental, particularly to acoustics. But even on electrics, guitars and case materials off-gas, and some of these chemicals can deteriorate plastic, metal, and finishes.
    $150-$250

Thankfully, we've gone beyond the days where a cheap case was little more than vinyl covered cardboard and offered little protection.
    Even $100 cases (ya, GFS has some for $60, but they plug you another $60 for shipping that's not refundable if it's to be returned, and you pay return shipping) are halfway decent.
    Case quality has significantly increased and prices have plummeted over the last 40 years.
    When I paid $100 for a case with a $400-$600 guitar, and that same case is now $200 for a $2000 guitar...
    I don't think the market has room for another "new and innovative high-end" case.
    Those who need bulletproof cases for touring are using SKB or Anvil and aren't going to change.

4. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

My answer would be exactly the same...except for the cat hairs...I don't have a cat...loll

RobZ69 likes this.
  5. johnjet6

johnjet6 Strat-Talk Member

I am a working entertainer. I own three Roland Ready Strats. I keep a standard Fender hard case for the one in my studio. However when I am on the road I use two very heavy SKB cases. While the weight is considerable, I would not use anything else for my Strats. Fender stopped making the RR Strat several years ago and it would cost me around $3,000 to have the custom shop make one.

6. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I have hard cases for all of my guitars and always keep them in their cases when not being used. I have very big rowdy dogs too. I don't see much benefit to water tight unless you live on water, as mentioned before. One of my Gibsons came in a sealed aluminum case and it looks pretty cool but it's too clunky and heavy. I would consider some of the better soft cases or beefed-up gig bags that were also mentioned. I bought a ChromaCast hard case for my Player Strat and like it a lot. It was $80 but I think they may be $90 now.

arcticstrat likes this.
  7. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

I don't gig or travel with my guitars, but I live in a dangerous environment for nice instruments, so I store everything but the 1 or 2 I am currently playing, in their cases. Most of my Fenders came without cases, I bought SKB "chainsaw" type cases for them. They're plenty strong and repairable, and often available on Reverb as customer returns for quite reasonable prices. The SKBs are waterproof enough for my needs. I don't think I have paid list price for any of the SKB cases. For my better guitars, if I were to be traveling with them, I would be willing to go as high as $250 for a case, but it would have to be pretty good to compete with a $100, like-new SKB.

arcticstrat likes this.
  8. sampson

sampson Strat-Talk Member

I have five guitars and 5 cases. For the inexpensive guitars, my Kramer Baretta special or my OLP I bought a couple of no more than $45.00 gig bags. For my 2 Wolfgangs they came with great hard cases, my Chapman also came with it’s own solid hard case and although it’s on backorder I’ve already bought a hard Coffin case for my Jackson San Dinas Crossroads copy. With 2 over 130 pound Irish Wolfhounds running around and in case I do go out to jam somewhere, I want to make sure they are safe.

CB91710 likes this.
  9. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My Strat lives in a hard case whenever not being played. The case lays flat on a shelf so it's pretty easy to take the guitar in and out. I don't think I would need a waterproof case. The guitar has never left the house yet. I do have a cat and when the case is available to her she seems to think it is a very good scratching surface. I need to speak with her about this again.

arcticstrat likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Look up the Hiscox guitar hard cases. They have youtube videos on their engineering design thought processes as well as testing methods.

With the advent of airlines boosting carry-on and checked luggage extra bag fees ... often lugging a guitar case of any type can cost you $100 trip there and $100 trip back ... so you could order and ship ahead a new Harley Benton guitar or find a local Craigslist used guitar to play while there and give it away or put in a consignment shop before you leave.

arcticstrat likes this.
  11. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

I have dropped my on hand guitars, from 20+ to only 8 electrics and one acoustic. They all have their own case, except when out on the hanging stand. I have an active dog who likes to investigate and I am not sure I like him investigating my guitar.

Back a few years ago I had guitars in three different closets like this:
    IMG_5009.JPG

CB91710 and arcticstrat like this.
  12. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

I'm sure there are decent hard cases out there, but I've not encountered one yet. I recently received a Strat via a courier in an expensive Gator hard case. It was completely shattered on one side when it arrived ( although the guitar was fine, so it did its job). However the plastic shell did not impress, since I could take it between thumb and forefinger and it just crumbled into bits! Thankfully Gator replaced it with an impressively rugged soft-shell and padded case which feels far more capable of surviving transit handling. It seems these issues with Gator hard cases are not unknown looking online.
    I work on the car principle-you need a crumple zone to absorb shock, so a reinforced soft case will always beat a hard case no matter how reinforced it is. Something has to absorb the energy of a potential hazard in transit.

13. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker Silver Member

I've often wondered what ' military standard ' hardcase means.

Can your prized instrument survive a direct hit from an RPG? Lol

14. AttillaDeHunt

AttillaDeHunt Strat-Talk Member

Have alot of axes, and have alot of cases and bags to put 'em in. I think I might have every type of case made, not every brand, but every type, from felt covered cardboard acoustic cases, to a watertight SKB A.T.A.case, Vinyl covered wood to injection molded plastic. I have gig-bags that are only 1-layer of thin fabric shaped like a guitar and super-padded bags with pockets and zippers all over, "soft hard cases" that resemble a case but are just styrofoam planks wrapped in canvas and vinyl. I have Anvil road cases and I have Musician's Friend budget cases. I have a acoustic gig-bag that is packed full of electric gig-bags that I keep in a Cello gig-bag which stands next to a few heavier gig-bags. I have 12 Violin/Viola cases and 3 Violins total, I have a bad-ass soft-yet-not-soft case for a horn and have no horn, & never have.
    I buy axe cases 4-6 at a time, so I can get a decent price on them, usually about $35-$45 each. I refuse to pay more than I have to for a case,used is always an option. I modify cases to my own specs and repurpose them to my whims.
    When I travel, I like the most protection I can get for the axes I roll with, while trying to consume the least space when I can. At home, some hang ,some stand, some are cased.
    I considered having cases made for me, good strong cases, to my own specs, by a maker of cases, at such a volume order that the price would not hurt, but found storing good cases, almost road-case cases, takes much case space to do. I could get good pricing, but not on my home turf, hard to be cheap and a Patriot of sorts at the same time, I suppose.
    Air and water tight have their place, but only that place. Most of the time they just fill space.
    Curious as to the intentions of the OP, I must say.

15. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Same here. (Ignore the two on the far left, it’s an old pic they’ve been upgraded :D )

[​IMG]

axejock and mapleglo like this.
  16. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Kitties and cases, something about that tweed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nevets likes this.
  17. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have one case that is built like a tank, but is so heavy that it almost gives me a hernia to lift it! It is the "factory PRS case" for my PRS S2 Starla guitar, which is (of course) fitted with a Bigsby tailpiece/tremolo. Like all PRS's it came with a nice gig bag, but the Bigsby just plain makes for a difficult "fit" for most any case out there. So I called PRS to see if they had a special case for this guitar...the guy I talked to was very helpful and said that they had made some cases for this application but they were not available anymore. But he told me that he thought there might be one more of those cases out in the warehouse....he'd check it out and call back. Long story short, yes he had one, it was $325 (this was in 2018) and I could buy it, so I did. When it got here we almost needed a forklift to get it in the house and unpackaged. It is a beautiful case with precise fits for the Starla and solid as a rock!! It is WAY more case than I would ever consider in most applications, and it is the heaviest case that I have ever had. I certainly don't regret buying it for one of my favorite guitars, but it really has to be the most extreme case that I have ever bought. Even more so than the case that came with my Ernie Ball/Musicman, which is very impressive as well, but not near as heavy as the PRS case!

arcticstrat likes this.
  18. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-Talker Silver Member

I have a Glarry tweed case that I paid 50 bucks for new on Amazon I think. It's really not a bad case! It looks pretty phenomenal and has held up well so far. Granted, it stays at home, but sliding it in and out of it's home between two other cases almost daily for several months has not done it any harm.

19. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

OK, you've got me beat by a dozen or so.

20. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

It seems a little bit more information might be in order!

I am very familiar with the Fender molded ABS cases as shown in post #35, I have several of them and like them very much. However, I don't think they would protect from a heavy hit or crush accident. They seem to retail for about $200

My question was really if there would be a demand for a much stronger case, but at a price premium of $50-90. My conclusion from the comments is probably not. It would probably be overkill for all but the busiest touring player.

I appreciate the collective feedback, and if I have miss-read feedback, please feel free to correct me!