Harley Benton guitars

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Stonetone, Jun 12, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Dude Thomann sent cables for my cable project

10$ bucks a cable....

Right I have 30$, 50$, 150$ dollar cables lowest capacitance, killer tonez etc...that got sent from other manufacturers but yeah for the money.....pretty damn good cablem

The 10 foot Thomann cable is just as good as any of the big buck cables. Not to say the big buck cables arent worth it but I was surprised at how good it was and in a sense better than some other mid tier cables in the 30$-70$ range and as good as stupid expensive cables.

Low noise, balanced cables. Good price. No hiss or buzz.

I like it.

If they make a guitar as good as their cables...... Yes sir.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

how tall are the frets on that HB Junior?

Reason I ask is that I highly prefer tallish frets.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Check out the 'Glarry Guitar' videos on youtube.

Where Thomann has eliminated the Distributor costs, Glarry has eliminated Both the Retailer And the Distributor.

I expect to see many more direct from the factory guitar models in the future. Fender and Gibson will be ok with their MIA models, but they will get severely pinched on Squier and Epiphone as more import factories sell direct. And that means direct through Amazon charging only sales fees to them, not via online retailers like Guitar Center/Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, etc who buy from the factories/distributors to resell.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Taller than Fender medium jumbos.

Ebidis, SAguitar and johnnymg like this.
  5. equilibriax

equilibriax New Member!

I watched this one the other day. Seems like a good guitar for an absolute beginner (but needs a lot of setup). The person in the video said the frets are really soft and would wear out very quickly.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Mine is the same. Quite tall. I would call them jumbos.

johnnymg likes this.
  7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Very cool Junior! What is the neck profile like and what sort of weight are these bad-boys?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  8. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-O-Master

I have just ordered a HB fusion 2 pro (hsh with wilkinson trem)! I have to admit that I”m trying this brand for the first time (as well as the thomann website). I own several american teles and strats, and I”m very curious about the quality of hb guitars, all the reviews are pretty good. I Will give you my opnion and picks as soon as I got it at home.

GeejeeZ, JimiisGod and Cerb like this.
  9. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Nice that will be great :thumb:, but I get the felling you won’t be disappointed :)

Eligius1976 likes this.
  10. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-O-Master

I hope so Stonetone!
    Here”is the model:
    https://harleybenton.com/product/fusion-ii-hsh-mn-flame-purple/
    but I ordered with a kind of rw neck.
    The thing is that I also really like the tele with the rosewood look and the LP special in tv yellow!:rolleyes::D
    It”s easy to get tempted to buy as the have such a low prices!

Baelzebub and Stonetone like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I've had my goldtop for about a year... I've not bonded with it and rarely play it.
    I was not impressed with the fit and finish when it first arrived, but at $180 I did not expect perfection... and at $180, it's also not worth the effort to sell or the cost to ship it.
    Right out of the box, it played pretty well. Neck had a little back-bow, but loosening the truss rod worked.
    But one tuner is very tight... I bought replacement tuners and just haven't made the time to install them.
    Now, after a year, the neck is again back-bowed... and it's been in a stable environment, right next to my D'Angelico, which is fine.

HB_Binding-1.jpg
    HB_Binding-2.jpg
    HB_Bridge_Finish.jpg
    HB_Fingerboard.jpg

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I'm with you 100% on this.
    Don't get me wrong... HB can be hit and miss on build quality. Tony MacKenzie got one that was nearly unplayable... the bridge bushing mounts were drilled oversized and it would not hold tuning or intonation.
    MOST of them seem to be on par with Epiphone or Squier, but they lack the QC of Epiphone or Squier, so more problems fall through the cracks.

But for $180, it is going to be hard to find a better value, and if you get a good one, you're stylin'

soulman969 likes this.
  13. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

YEs Correct But Hit and Miss Is Not Limited To Harley Benton, Can happen to Even Guitars Costing 5 x the Price or More but at the Price they Sell for Its Not that Big a risk IMOHO :)

14. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

But if you don't get a "good one" anyone can also return it in exchange for another just as we do with nearly ever brand out there. No one wants to be the seller/dealer on the receiving end of a review that says mine was an awful POS but they forced me to keep it anyway. No exchange or refund.

And I'd also agree that they're a pretty much a Squier CV or Epiphone MIC level instrument which ain't too shabby at all. I've owned 5 Epiphones and 4 Squier CVs and still own 3 of each. They were all very good sounding playable guitars and basses right out of the box. No complaints at all.

IMHO the major difference is with no distribution network to support they're sold at what a dealer would more typically pay for that same model which would then have a street price roughly double that $180-$200.

CB91710 and Stonetone like this.
  15. ted01

ted01 Strat-Talk Member

I have 3 HB electrics,a lap steel($93),and a blues acoustic.The guitars are great.The only thing that was bad was the saddle on the blues acoustic.Changed it,and it's a cool cheap couch guitar.In my experience with any HB guitar,after $200-225,things start getting really really good.And their cabinets are a great deal.And when you get a guitar,pick up the gig bag.It's nice for the price.I have a couple of B stock,can't find any problems.Just about any guitar that I get,I mod some.Nothing with the HBs except for the saddle.It's just the shipping that's a problem now.

soulman969 likes this.
  16. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Yep, just bought the same as yours used on eBay for £55 (mine has been a bit reliced though)
    [​IMG]

GrantR, Stonetone and Ebidis like this.
  17. Kiethy1

Kiethy1 New Member!

18. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Anyone have trouble with the Thomann checkout? It won't let me pick a shipping option because it says they require my full delivery address. It's there.

19. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

Now now, I own a fire-red Firefly hollow body... and it's one of the best guitars I've bought. Pristine finish, has trim all around (even the sides of the neck), and had perfect action right out of the box. I'd allow for a possibility of quality control issues and maybe I just happened to get a good one, but this guitar has almost a solid 5-star rave-reviews rating and they sell out every time they get in a new shipment.

The only thing I would do to this guitar (if I did anything) would be to switch out the pickups and strings. But I've owned it for some time and despite my tendency to mod everything... I haven't touched it. It plays sweet, sounds sweet, and I'd put it up against any $500 to $700 guitar out there. I know people look at the price tag and say, "How can it possibly be any good?"... but that's the main question of this article, yup? Sometimes you just find a gem that is worth more than you pay. :)

(And yes, I uh... bought it for the name. What Browncoat could resist?)

My pretty, pretty Firefly...

Firefly.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    oyobass, Stonetone and soulman969 like this.
  20. iGav

iGav Strat-Talker

I personally won't buy a Harley Benton for the following (in no order) reasons;

1. Contributing to monopolization (like Amazon, etc)
    2. Supporting exploitation of the environment (wood, shipping from China)
    3. I don't want MORE cheap gear, I want less gear, but good gear. I'm sure the guitars are good, that being said; I don't want more cheap crap from China.

I also suspect that as the instruments are so cheap that there's someone being exploited along the way and we've a massive worldwide issue with waste as it is.

Just my 2 pence