Harley Benton guitars

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Stonetone, Jun 12, 2020.

1. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

you could just play stairway to heaven, and hotel california over and over again;)

2. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I've had my Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series guitar for about six months now and I LOVE it. It was about $180 delivered to my door in Colorado. It was set up perfectly out of the box. The only thing I did to mine was to replace the vintage saddles with Wilkinson compensated brass saddles (about a $15 upgrade from Amazon). Their TE-70 has the same saddles in it, stock. The TE-52 is just tryna be a more "vintage" 52 telecaster which is why it comes with the more basic saddles.

I can't imagine anything changing my opinion in the next six months.

A YouTuber named Hunter Engel (agufish), did some reviews on a couple Harley Benton guitars and liked them very much. He now has a signature line and is in fact now employed by Thomann as a product designer. Here is a bunch of Harley Benton reviews from him...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=agufish+harley+benton

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Cerb likes this.
  3. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I am not a fan of "beginner" guitars. An experienced guitar player can make anything sound good, but a beginner can get frustrated and quit if they are constantly fighting with a guitar. A beginner is best served with a solid, simple guitar. A telecaster fits the bill perfectly. A Squier Classic Vibe or Harley Benton TE-52 or TE-70 are great choices.

I think the best market for a Glarry is someone who can already play and wants a platform to experiment on. If you want something to relic or try some new pickups on, a Glarry won't make you feel too bad if you make a mistake.

equilibriax likes this.
  4. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I look forward to your review. I've been wanting one if those for a while. Specifically the one with the roasted maple neck (https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_fusion_hsh_roasted_maple.htm)

5. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  6. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And you don't think the fact that he works for Thomann doesn't hurt his credibility?

8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

9. StratPlayerTPA

StratPlayerTPA Strat-Talk Member

I did most modifying myself and had most of the parts laying around.... All I did expenses wise was the Pleking..... Total I put in it besides tine was about 400.00 range.
    Working on Guitars since 1984 I've acquired tons of parts....

Cerb likes this.
  10. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Where will it all end? I just traded a '77 Strat for a 2015 Gibson 335 (Memphis plant) in mint condition but I won't be keeping it. The reason - my made in china Ibanez AS93 is a better instrument and my AS153 knocks it clean out of the park.

How much is the Gibson 'mojo' worth? I'm not bashing Gibson, I have a 2020 Goldtop LP standard that is the best Gibson I've seen in years and it is a keeper, but with so many brands knocking out great instruments for so little money, where do Gibson and Fender go?

It's hard to justify 3500 francs for a guitar that got it's butt kicked by a 590 franc guitar.

kimme, Andrew Wasson and Stonetone like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That's the thing with Stratosphere builds.
    You can build something identical to a US made Gibson or Fender, but it'll cost just as much, or a little more.
    One reason to do it is to burn your spare parts stock. Another is if you'd be removing and replacing the majority of the parts.

12. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yes, unless you have a very specific set of specs in mind for a custom build, the biggest bang for your buck is to buy used. Lots of people think they’d like to play guitar and then realize it requires effort so they decide it’s not for them and it goes on CL.

13. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-O-Master

Here is mine! Just arrived yesterday, as I had a lot of work I”ve just played 5” only tho check that everything was ok after unboxing. Look and feel great, I”ve not seen any issues for the moment, the only thing is a higher action that needs and adjustment

14. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-O-Master

I forgot the pics!!

Attached Files:

15. StratPlayerTPA

StratPlayerTPA Strat-Talk Member

I've built several Guitars with Body/Neck Husk from Stratosphere at a fraction of the Stock Guitar and gotten way better instruments.
    It depends on Part's you use or have, Experience on doing more work yourself. One is a Les Paul Tribute Gold Top I built for my friend Rick Morgan of Soul Circus Cowboys / The Regulars / Angie Rey Project.

Did a 2018 which is not Chambered Weight Relieved, Went with Schaller Vintage Kluson Gibson Style Tuners, Switch Craft Jack and 3 way,
    CTS WD 550k Pots, .047 Orange Drop Caps, Vintage Kahler Nickel Plated Brass Stop Tail Piece and Studs, Pinnacle Nickel Plated Brass Bridge from Philadelphia Luther Supplies
    Had the Knobs, Pickguard, used Brass Back Control Plates, Metal Mighty Mite Pickguard Rings Custom Painted to match the Cream Hardware, Used Gibson P94T Humbucker
    Sized P90's Copper shielded the Pickup and Control Cavities... I later added a Custom Truss Rod Cover I made from Brass on it for Rick. 43559290_10156547685278950_6814734040587829248_n.jpg 39453911_10156428220558950_500858650605125632_n.jpg

Stock the Tribute 2018 Les Pauls were 1149.00 This was Built for around 900.00
    If you know parts well enough and shop you can build your own Custom Shop type model cheaper then a Stock Model by using a Stripped Model as a Base.

This Video has well over 1 Million Views and has been featured on several Music Networks...

The only thing to remember if your Building Customizing for your self watch what your doing or yes you can over spend but you can also go the other way and save a ton.
    How ever when you sell the Name / Model still limits what you will get for it selling or trade in as a USED what ever it is model... Some may be willing to spend for the
    upgrades but majority wont...

Just go with what works for you!!!

Andrew Wasson, CB91710 and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I built this and it turned out great and not too expensive considering that I got exactly what I wanted. There is no way I could have done it for even close to what a Harley Benton costs though.

[​IMG]

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Man...

Thats not enoigh give us a full spread!

What a looker!

Andrew Wasson and Cerb like this.
  18. Cerb

Thanks!

I really like the feel of Dearhtrap, the body has taken on a silky smooth, matte surface that feels really comfortable the touch. I wanted to recreate that so I'd been thinking about building something but didn't act on it until this used neck showed up on Reverb.

I bought the neck and totally lucked out on the profile and fret work. The body is a Japanese Hosco that came raw from the CNC router so I gave it the shape I wanted and finished it in Sonic Blue nitro. I topped it all off with two coats of carnauba/bees wax for the silky matte surface. Pickups are Chinese alnico V lipsticks, tuners are Schaller and the tremolo is a Wilkinson.

It's not perfect yet, the pickup screws are a bit too long and hit the bottom of the route so they stick up a bit above the pickguard, I guess they were made for a three ply pickguard so I need to find shorter ones or cut these. The neck isn't perfectly aligned but it's only cosmetic, the neck pocket is too tight for further adjustments but I sand it a bit every time I change strings so it's slowly getting there. One of the tone pots has a push/push switch that I haven't decided what to do with yet but I will.

All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out.

IMG_20200624_210711.jpg IMG_20200624_210611.jpg IMG_20200624_210737.jpg IMG_20200624_210802.jpg

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Really?

Because...
    Do you realize how this statement sounds?

20. Cerb

[​IMG]