Harley Benton guitars

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Stonetone, Jun 12, 2020.

1. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

@Ebidis has the single cut @Thrup'ny Bit has the double cut normal neck, mines the fatter neck version of thrupny's, I also have a SC, for a £200 guitar (free shipping) they are astounding value.

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That's really nice.
    We get hit with a flat shipping charge of $30 or $35 in the US. It's not a big deal on guitars, but does put some models more on a competitive level with Squier or Epiphone.
    But it sucks for parts and accessories, though deals can still be had. I got my Trio+, footswitch, and pedalboard combined for the same cost as had I bought the Trio+ by itself from Amazon or a local source.
    But not all accessories are cheaper than here.... OTOH, some are great, like the HB 2x12 cabinet loaded with Celestion V30s where the whole cabinet is cheaper than buying the two speakers.

ukoldgit likes this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yeah, I ordered one from Thomann. It took 28 days to get here from Germany, but it was worth the wait.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Some models are still a steal. Even with $45 shipping, my Junior was only $229. I've paid more than that for guitars that were not half as good.

ukoldgit likes this.
  5. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Ok, my new HB Double Cut FAT is now set up with usable push/pull control knobs and restrung with 9s, lowered action and intonated, Coo this is a great guitar, I bought this after buying a scrappy HB single cut as I was very impressed with the Rosewell P90 and quality of the fret/woodwork. (the FAT model just means a wider/chunkier neck)
    There are differences between the FAT and the SC/DC, the SC has a great P90 that delivers oodles of tone possibilities and the Fat does exactly the same in P90 mode, having played the crap out of it for the last day or so I have found, as I suspected, the instrument gives a hell of a lot more whack (read grunt) in humbucker mode, sustain is great on the SC but the FAT starts to emulate a LP style tone at higher volumes with loads of tone adjustment.
    As others have mentioned on here the fretwork and setup is really good straight out of the box, the ebony fret board is super nice, what would I change? put some decent screw locked control knobs on it as the supplied ones are impossible to grip, other than that absolutely nothing.
    Not often I do a serious post:eek:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. oyobass

oyobass Strat-Talk Member

20170123_164214 resize.jpg New here, but a long-timer on other forums. Interesting discussion on one of my favorite topics: inexpensive, but quality guitars.
    Towards the beginning of this thread, someone asked about people who have owned their HB over a year. I have had a TE70 Black Paisley for about 3 years now that I still love to play. It's old enough to have the "Wilkinson" pickups in it. Bridge pickup sounds amazing except on high gain where it starts to squeal. Neck pickup is a bit less sparkly/glassy sounding than I would like, but adequate.
    I did a setup on it when it arrived (nut filing, string height, intonation and Fender string trees), but left a bit too much relief in the neck which slowly increased over time. I readjusted it a couple weeks ago towards almost flat, now it is closer to a shred machine, at least for a traditional fat-necked T-type. I haven't done a fret level/crown on it yet since the frets were pretty level out of the box, but doing that could bring the action down to what is possible with a good American Tele.
    Changes still "needed" to be made:
    • New vintage-style pickups
    • Bone nut
    • better tuners
    • fret level/crown
    • 4-way switch mod
    Despite those items on a may-do list, the guitar looks and plays fantastically as is, a perfectly serviceable axe. I may or may not improve the items on my list unless the lack of them bugs me too much...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  7. Keith__adams

Keith__adams New Member!

Here is the upgraded guitar. Had to do minor modifications on the pick guard where the neck fits and drill new holes for the front and back cover for it to fit. New bone nut. Also blocked the trem.

The pickup configuration is master volume, master tone, pickup selector switch and master coil split switch. Very simple yet very effective.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    alainvey likes this.
  8. Keith__adams

Keith__adams New Member!

Update... I filled the tremolo cavity with fiberglass resin and fitted a hardtail bridge and string thru ferrules. I can't stand tremolos, they are a complete pain in the ass. I added a toggle switch to split coils. Later I am adding a different type of switch for coil split and pickup in phase and out of phase switching.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  9. Keith__adams

Keith__adams New Member!

Modified headstock. More metal look.

Attached Files:

stormsedge likes this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My HBs...I may dupe the mod @StratPlayerTPA did on my BM75 at some point. For now, very enjoyable guitars, economically checking several boxes. ((The LP copy...SC550...was a B-stock--a couple of small finish issues, but plays perfectly. I think I saved ~$48 on that particular guitar---it pretty much covered the shipping on it and the BM75)).

gui hb resonator.PNG gui HB SC550 BM75 arrive.PNG

Oh, and as @The-Kid noted...the cables are top notch. Cheers!

11. juzz88

juzz88 Strat-Talk Member

My ST-62 was a dog, but I know that lots of people love them, so I must have just been unlucky. Thankfully, it had a small crack in the neck, so I got my money back.

However, my CST-24T, TE-80, HB35+, SC450+ and CA15 acoustic (all bought at the same time as the ST-62) are all great guitars.

The PRS copy in particular is ridiculous. I'd challenge any brand snob to try and find something to complain about. It virtually plays itself, too.

ukoldgit likes this.