Join Strat-Talk Today

Harmony H22 Bass Ebay Disaster

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by vid1900, Sep 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

I guess the old nut is a little too thick for my theory that it was cut from a drafting triangle to be true...

vid1900 likes this.
  2. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can't be a slow luither and make any money.

So you can't spend all day fishin' the controls back into their holes.

It's a 5 minute job.

Step #1: Go to your local aquarium shop and get some Airline Tubing. It comes usually in clear, but they sometimes have it in blue, green or black silicone rubber too.

You can use the colors as a coding system, or just put hash marks on the ends. A Gretsch with 7 control knobs and jack, will make you a believer in marking your airlines!

3 meters for $2, you can't beat the price.

Step #2: Tie a knot in one end, then drop all the nuts and washers on the airline - IN THE ORDER THEY NEED TO BE INSTALLED (don't mess this up). So for the H22, they are Jam Nut, Internal Tooth Lock Washer, Thinline washer:

IMG_20190929_194530140_HDR.jpg

Bowmap likes this.
  3. vid1900

Step #3: Now pull all the airlines through the pickup hole.

IMG_20190929_194853712_HDR.jpg

Bowmap likes this.
  4. vid1900

The line that fishes the Jackhole needs Nut, Washers, AND a 1/4" plug without the barrel attached:

IMG_20190929_194955838_HDR.jpg

This gets placed into the female end of the 1/4" jack.

5. vid1900

Here everything is attached, and ready to be pulled back through the body:

IMG_20190929_195112898_HDR.jpg

Make sure you have cleaned the jack contact points, and sprayed out the controls with contact cleaner before you mount them again.

Even pots that appear to be frozen, will 99% of the time come back to life with a blast of Chemtronics.

Bowmap likes this.
  6. vid1900

Here you can see the Female 1/4" Jack emerging from the body.

This would be a mega time-sucker had you tried to fish it from the F-holes!

Do the farthest controls first, and on the H22, that would be the Jack.

IMG_20190929_195845816.jpg

Bowmap likes this.
  7. vid1900

Here you can see how important it was to load the Nuts & Washers on beforehand; because there is very little thread sticking above the body.

If you find that you screwed up the wash order on one of the airlines, don't panic. Unknot the airline, and get the order correct.

IMG_20190929_195559441_HDR.jpg

Once all the controls are loosely mounted, you can remove the airline and gently snug them up.

Bowmap and GuitarPix like this.
  8. vid1900

If you ever find that you don't have a scrap of Rosewood to make a Thumbrest or Bridgepiece from, your local Woodcraft will have bags of "Pen Blanks" for $9

838477.0.jpg

If you've got time to wait, you can get them 1/2 that price from China ebay (it takes weeks to get them).

Here you can see my Rosewood Thumbrest. No fancy craftsmanship, just cut the blank to length, and shape it on the Sanding Station.

14.jpg
    You can also see that the Cupcake Tone and Volume Knobs were clearly made from a different plastic than the Tone Switch. Adds to the charm of the guitar for sure.

Bowmap likes this.
  9. RolyG

RolyG Strat-Talk Member

Hahaha.

vid1900 likes this.
  10. vid1900

Here is the H22 strung up with new strings and the the Action, Relief and Intonation set.

I just barely scored a line behind the floating bridge once it was intonated. That way, if it gets knocked loose, it can be quickly restored to it's proper position with only a cellphone flashlight.

15.jpg
    ^ the H22 now has about 500x more fretwire, lol. I guarantee there is enough meat left for one more fretleveling.

Big bass frets in Stainless Steel will probably last 10 lifetimes.

I strung it up with Dunlop 45-105 Medium strings. The customer says he hates flatwounds, but that probably would have been my personal choice on a semi-hollow.

I played this bass a few days before the customer picked it up. It really sounds great unplugged. I had the action set super low, but the customer had me raise it up a tad to match his popping/slapping style.

The pickup needed to be rewound. It will be repaired in a month, so I told the customer to take the guitar for now. I'll put the pickup back in just a few minutes upon his return.

Strat-Slinger and Bowmap like this.
  11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Wow, what a transformation.

Stupid question...why is the thumb rest below the strings rather than above? Barely knowing my way around bass I don't see how it would be used where it's placed.

12. vid1900

I can't tell you enough how fun that Bass is to play.

You fix stuff and usually its ho hum, another J-bass, but I fixed that one and I was like "I would never set this thing down!" .

That is a Leo invention.

Guys tend to anchor their right hand with their 3rd finger on the **Thumbrest**, then play with their Thumb, 1st and 2nd.

You can also have the Thumbrest above the E string, or even both 'above and below'.

That's why you see basses with lot's of extra holes; different owners needing different rests.

I usually suggest people use some doublesided tape to experiment with, before they drill more holes. ...and if it's a vintage bass, use those "Command Strips" to stick on a thumbrest, so it won't need holes and is easily removed!

Original, below:
    bass.jpg

1975 Above:
    75Precisionpk.jpg

Or Both:
    fen68coronado-bass.jpg

BallisticSquid likes this.
  13. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oh, OK...that makes sense. You learn something new everyday...thanks for the explanation!!

vid1900 likes this.
  14. vid1900

15. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Thanks for the tube tip. I knew of an Epi Riviera that was marked down because the jack is in the body. Knowing it could be that simple and simply clever, I would have bought it.

vid1900 likes this.
  16. vid1900

Every guitar tech knows how to use Airline Tubing, so if that was at a music store, I'd gently suggest that there was more wrong with the guitar's electronics, and they pushed the jack inside themselves as a smokescreen.

BUT if it was at a pawnshop or Salvation Army - that could have been a great deal!

(can you even imagine a dopy pawnshop guy trying to fish the jack back out and get a jamnut on it, lol???)

Bowmap likes this.
  17. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Ah... two tid bits of knowledge. Thanks. It was GC.

18. vid1900

GCs techs can't even wind strings on properly, so that could have been a great deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.