Join Strat-Talk Today

Has anybody seen the PRS Silver Sky models?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by axejock, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

A good friend just opened a new music store here locally and it is really cool. He has an active stage set up for band practices and mini concerts as well as a well stocked showroom with a lot of the latest musical equipment that is on the market. I visited his store today for the first time and sampled a few of his wares. He handles PRS guitars and had one in what looked like Fender Ocean Turquoise and was the spittin' image of a Strat. A young guy about 16 years old was playing it through a whole chain of pedals and an Orange amp. His guitar skills were absolutely amazing, and the sounds he was producing were far beyond what one would expect from a youngster.....he told me he plays in a local band and has done 72 local shows this year. Wow!
    Anyway, the guitar he was playing was a PRS Silver Sky model with a price tag of about $2300. It really is an absolute Strat look alike, but does not sound like one. It is ALL PRS and sounds absolutely incredible....I have never heard any Fender guitar sound like that! Has anybody here had any experience with this PRS gem? Here's what it looks like:

prssilversky.jpg

circles likes this.
  2. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

Yeah, my local shop usually has a couple. I played one once. Never again cuz I might accidentally buy one. The turquoise one is drop dead gorgeous.

Ferpie likes this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I think this model is somehow linked to John Mayer (designed for him???) That peghead on a strat body is something that a lot of players just can't stomach.

misterwogan and EC Strat-boy like this.
  4. MitchellD1

MitchellD1 Strat-Talk Member

Yep. Plays and sounds fantastic but I can't get past the headstock.

5. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Do a search - they were all anyone could talk about in the Spring of 2018 when they first appeared. Some love em, some hate em. I played one a few months ago and thought it was a very well made guitar, but it didn’t make me want to take one home. But lots of folks really love them...

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Not much to add; I've dabbled with them and they are very nice. For me I found the neck to have a lot of shoulder - getting close to a D shape - which doesn't work for me. But well made, nice sounding Strat alternative.

7. axejock

I didn't play it, but in that color it sure is nice to look at, and, in talented hands, it sounds fantastic!

8. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

When John Mayer plays it, it sounds like a strat.

9. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

No, but I love PRS inlays, I wish fender would do something like that. But I have seen one before and it is a beautiful guitar.

10. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

Never heard of it.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  11. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

I ordered one in red when they first came out, John Mayer model. It took about 6 months before I got it.
    It is a wonderful guitar, it plays and sounds great. Perfect right out of the box. I thought since I have the PRS JM model I should have a Fender JM model so I picked up a used fender JM. I can say that I enjoy the PRS JM much more than the fender.
    I don't have a problem with the head stock.
    Heck I got to play it now.
    the blue looks great.
    I'm in Wa (Tacoma area) myself, where is your friends music store? I would love to check it out.
    I need an EJ thinline.

NeverPracticing likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

them funny headstock guitars are like driving a rocket with power steering from a lazyboy.

paul reed smith is one of the most famous guitar repair guys ever, so taking his builds seriously might be worth a look....

13. NeverPracticing

NeverPracticing Strat-Talk Member

Seconded... what is it called?

14. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Played one in a store last week and it was the best Strat I've ever heard. Straight off the rack, straight into a Tweed Deluxe in the store, it was the greatest Strat I've ever touched. If I were in the mood for a brand new retail guitar (I'm not) there's no other guitar I'd buy.

Edit - FWIW I'm on the downhill to fifty years old and I've played Strats from every decade from the fifties to current. The brand new Silver Sky slays every one I've played.

15. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

16. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s a can opener

Paperback Rocker and MitchellD1 like this.
  17. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I don't own a PRS but have read that the American made line is very meticulous in construction. Hand picked woods with attention to details that affect the acoustic resonance of the guitar. Also think I heard that by sheer numbers, they produce more electric instruments than Gibson, Fender, or Gretsch. I think Swampash's report is quite a testimonial. Luckily, I'm partial to the neck on my MIM strat, don't think my tiny hands would work on a wide D shaped neck.

18. axejock

My friend's new shop is in Yakima, Wa. (Central Wa. and actually my home town). He was the manager at the local Ted Brown store for a long time and just decided to strike out on his own. He is VERY savvy on guitars, amps, pedals, and recording! His new shop is small and because of his former employer rules, I think he has a "non-compete clause" in his departure agreement. He cannot stock/sell Fender and a few other brands for a while. He is now stocking PRS, and Guild guitars and Orange amps, along with pedals, drums, keyboards, and service as a start. I'm sure he has expansion plans. His "stage" setup is really cool, and electronically state-of-the-art.
    He sold me a PRS S2 Starla when he was at Ted Brown (he has a Starla too) and that's what got us both "hooked" on PRS offerings. They are great guitars and I must say I am really impressed with this particular Silver Sky model!

jrbirdman and NeverPracticing like this.
  19. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

I shop a lot at Ted Brown in Tacoma and Puyallup. We drive thru Yakima when we go to our office (tax & business) in Kennewick.
    Hopefully he'll be able to expand his shop when his non compete is up. We'll check it out.

20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

They play and sound great. But IMHO the knobs and plastic tuners look and feel nasty and cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.