Join Strat-Talk Today

Has anyone else noticed this

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by roger@pennyflic, May 25, 2018.

1. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

Not exactly, as just a contraction or abbreviation of "isn't it" in context it would be perfectly normal and nothing new in all the decades that I've been able to understand English.

But in MLE it is being used as verbal punctuation just to indicate the end of a sentence.

"wagwan blud, u is lahhk banging we r begging now innit"

"safe bredrin we is bare cotching jus allow dem swag words innit"

"brapp innit

2. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

Language, when spoken or written, can be put together in such a way that it comes over as pleasurable to read or listen to. For me this is something like music, and just like music it can be technically wrong by the accepted convention but still work beautifully. It can also read or sound discordant and jar or grate like an out of key note.

When I read "could of" it's like expecting to hear a C Major scale but getting a B♭ for the seventh note. Normally I don't dare mention it though, because we have "the dumbing down movement" who have decided that use of grammatically correct language is snobbish and elitist.

As for "make" a picture to differentiate the work of a proper photographer from the efforts of casual snapper, I had always thought we had "compose" for that. Or iz dat jus 2 duppy innit.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  3. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Great post!
    Language can be beautiful for those that bother. Those that don't bother obviously have that right.
    Shakespeare made up a lot of words but his writing is still a joy and somehow his newly invented words managed to fit perfectly. There are many "new" words invented by others that don't seem to have the same melody.

Neil.C, Monkeyboy and JB74 like this.
  4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Is the perceived "dumbing down movement" a reflection of our educational system, the "everyone gets an award" mentality, technological influence, laziness or something more?

Education - IMO it does seem like the education system is not doing as well as the used to. The spoken and written language is not getting the attention it had. I had to take 2 semesters of literature and two English in order to graduate high school. Here in the states the class rooms are seeing a higher percentage of students that lack basic skills in language structure. There are only so many teachers to go around, let alone teaching students the great works of literature.

Everyone Gets An Award - For me, this is a very important fail. While it does have short term gains in early development it can be detrimental to establishing ambition and goals. Why should one speak well when one can get the point across using a lesser vocabulary? This also down plays the importance of competition in society. With out competition, would we still be using punch cards or paper tape? Would HDTV exists? Or even cellular telephones? There was a time when the telephone industry did not have any competition to speak of here in the U.S. Ma Bell and Western Electric was it. It was not until the courts system ruled against Ma Bell that the way was paved starting with the ability for 3rd parties to offer for sale and use answering machines to the general public.

Technological Influence - As a programmer, I like to use as few keystrokes as possible. The less I have to type the more code I can produce. But this reasoning is also carried over into the little devices we use for messaging. As I said before, I do not always have the luxury of additional time to thoughtfully compose a message. Many times it is more like throwing cups of paint at a canvas versus using a palette board with brush techniques to create a better understood picture. This eventually is carried over into other areas of communications.

Laziness - Nuff' said.

Something More - Conspiracy Theorists bite your tongue.

Neil.C, Monkeyboy and s5tuart like this.
  5. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but you have to understand that not everybody here is a native English speaker. I am English and live in the German speaking part of Switzerland, it is very common here to "make a meeting" for example. There are other examples but I can't recall them right now.

West Coast Idea and Monkeyboy like this.
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Indeed. This is a world wide forum. I am sure much of this can be seen in other languages as well. The generational dialect changes. It is a interesting read if you have the time and the understanding. I know, not everything would translate well into other languages.

Sincerely,

- Bo

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. :(

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Someone mentioned saying LOL out loud, which is what I was referring to.

9. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I dunno… "lol out loud" ..redundancy is the only crime I see there , innit ?:thumb:

10. Mr. Lumbergh

[​IMG]

West Coast Idea likes this.
  11. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Most of my college students have good language skills, both verbal and written. I will correct them if they get lazy and use overly casual language.

And on ocassion I've had to take disciplinary action when they don't watch the profanity in the classroom There's a time and place.

12. Monkeyboy

Scenes from inside the UKBORBRB :
    cvwef.gif dfgjj.gif vbjio.png
    vbjio.png dfgjj.gif vbjio.png vbjio.png vbjio.png cvwef.gif

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

14. Monkeyboy

fixed !:thumb:

15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Possibly linguistics has gone the way of
    Pencil paper slide rule mathematics
    And
    Cursive writing....

Step daughter said...
    Her children don't write because they were never taught writing...
    They print...
    15 and 17
    And have 4.0 Grade scale

16. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I was never any good at cursive writing. My son even told people I scribbled. So my obvious career choices were medicine or engineering.

17. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

English is happier to change itself to meet new situations than most other languages.

18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

People have been saying I/we made a baby or we're going to make a baby for a long long time.

19. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.