Has FeeBay stooped to yet another low?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I decided that GAS is too much to bear. I need another electric guitar like a hole in the head but what’s wrong with one for each day of the week? So electric no. 7 is on its way from the great white north! I have to sell something so I find that an old particular piece of gear is worth as much as my guitar AND the new NUX pedal that’s also coming! While I hate FeeBay, it’s always been the best place for my stuff to sell other than guitars.

I want to list it for a bit over a grand. I’m not wanting to try and hope for some big inflated price at end of auction, so I want to use “Buy it Now” for a two hundred more. I’d be really happy at that price. And I swear that it’s always been I could make it any price over the bid price and get it over with. But this time, when I tried to do that, it wouldn’t allow me to! It wouldn’t let me go any lower than 30% more! Well that’s close to $400 big ones more! Pretty easy to see that FeeBay is so greedy that they just want to make more commission! And the buyer is the one who will pay that :( in the end.... or the start, however one looks at it!

2. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

FeeBay or FeeVerb, they both suck but are a necessary evil, especially during this crisis. I recently sold something on eBay for the first time in eons and I was floored when I got my earnings and saw how much they took. They talked up "free" listings after the Reverb hike but that was a bunch of bull.

Makes getting texts and calls at 3am from Craigslist idiots almost seem like a blessing lol

mjea80, Stonetone, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I’m thinking Facebook Marketplace . . . .

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Deafsoundguy

Yeah well....I’m one of those guys who hates Facecrook, and Dork Zuckerberg, so I refuse to use it ;). Probably a good idea for many things but this is pro audio piece, I’m guessing I’m going to reach a ton more guys on FeeBay.

fos1, Nubs, Stratbats and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Don't you mean Faecebook?

6. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I hate Facebook too. I don’t use it at all, but I have an account just for access to the Marketplace.

You’re probably correct that you’ll get the best price on eBay.

Deafsoundguy and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

With all their warts and scars, there are so many places to sell your goodies these days.

Geezer rant ahead :)

When I was a kid or even in my twenties, you had one route...the local newspaper classifieds...period.

Grin and bear the hassles or just go retro and place an ad in the local rag.

roadhog96, Anacharsis, Mouse and 10 others like this.
  8. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Le Misanthrope Silver Member

Just to play Devil's advocate, do you think the 30% thing is to keep the Buy It Now price from negating the purpose of an auction?
    I mean it wouldn't make much sense to start at auction at $100 if $110 is the Buy It Now price, right? But a Buy it Now of $110, with a starting price of $77 seems reasonable.
    Maybe 20% would be better for larger ticket items (>$1000 ??)

9. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

So far I've not bought anything from Feebay. Unless it's medicine I need to live, I probably never will.

10. Deafsoundguy

I dunno, it’s my opinion that it’s highway robbery at a certain point. Almost $400 more for something is great for me, but I’d be happy to sell it right now for less and help out someone who really wants it. But FeeBay wants their possibility of taking yours and mine money as a fact. It wasn’t like this before. Why would they change? There’s only one reason I can see and that’s greed. In this case they’re basing the info from the fact that a few people actually paid that much more for one of these so they figure everyone will. We lose so they can win. I can see your point though at cheaper prices.

11. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

You're missing out, eBay is great for buying stuff. I've saved thousands on hardly-used gear over the years on there. Got an American Standard Tele for £150 back in the day, due to buyer not listing it properly and it having cosmetic damage :D Bargains are harder to find by now as more people know the tricks, but buyer protection is stronger than ever.

eBay can be painful as a seller sometimes because the fees keep going up, but it's by far the best if you want to shift something quickly.

Deafsoundguy, nadzab and circles like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Yup. Don't get me wrong. I'm no huge fan of Ebay and even less so of Reverb now that Etsy took over but getting even regional exposure let alone international exposure pre-internet didn't exist.

It was the local classifieds, an index card on a musician's cork board somewhere, or word of mouth. That's why we simply swapped gear with one another so often.

It was "I'll trade you my X for your Y or Z".

abnormaltoy and Anacharsis like this.
  13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I just don't buy a lot of stuff. I've never (directly) purchased from Amazon either.

14. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

fb marketplace and offerup are where its at for.selling....younger people hate ebay because its so old school with a wacky interface...you can makee a facebook acct just for selling and use a pseudonym. if you dont use fb for selling you are screwing yourself.Forget the boycott,its only depriving you of profits.

15. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

@circles fair enough! I tend to be a bit of a bargain hunter and like to try new stuff out, but don't like buying new as I like to be able to sell stuff on without making a loud, so for me eBay is great. I appreciate that other people like to just buy the one thing they really want in a store, brand new, and keep it.

circles likes this.
  16. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

My big issue with FB marketplace is how awful/nonfunctional the search is. I'm left handed and it's nearly impossible to refine the results properly. Typing in 'left' and limiting the search to the musical instruments category does nothing, just brings up everything listed there, and the distance from my postcode feature often leaves out stuff that is very close to me for no apparent reason. I can see that it might be good for shifting stuff, particularly if you live in or near a big city, but as a buyer/browser it's incredibly frustrating. On eBay I have all kinds of laser-targetted searches saved that are perfect for finding exactly what I want. Facebook feels woefully undercooked in comparison.

17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

What are you selling? Can you post an eBay link. Who knows, it may be something Imwould be interested in taking a drive to Portland for.

18. Deafsoundguy

I will pm you sir. ;)

Eventide studio stuff

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  19. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

Reverb over charges the buyer for sales tax. I don't like Reverb and never have but in the last for months I have made some purchases from them and I noticed that the SC taxes were always to much. by 2-2.5%. Where is that extra money going?

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Dead wrong, sir. "Pro" lolz

FB gives you way more information as a buyer and seller than any of the other services and easy communication. In addition to the "one transaction" part, you end up gaining familiarity with a bunch of different people and in many cases, you end up buying/selling among people that you end up knowing.

Deafsoundguy likes this.