Have you ever been in a Sally Band?

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
You even have the Messenger guitar! How’d you get that?
The guitarist got it on line, it's the Eastwood knock off. He plays it through a Vox and uses a Mosrite Fuzzrite for the classic fuzz similar to that which Farner had built in to his Messenger. A West amp came up recently on Reverb but the deal was not struck. I play the tubs in this band.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
The guitarist got it on line, it's the Eastwood knock off. He plays it through a Vox and uses a Mosrite Fuzzrite for the classic fuzz similar to that which Farner had built in to his Messenger. A West amp came up recently on Reverb but the deal was not struck. I play the tubs in this band.
I knew it was too good to be true! A messenger is so rare! Eastwood is like a copy machine. A real messenger has an aluminum neck, I bet the copy isn’t?

longboard blues

Senior Stratmaster
I've been in cover bands that played songs that are likely considered "Sally" songs but we also played lesser known tunes so I'm not sure what that made us. I've never heard the term Sally band before and I'd quit before I ever played Mustang Sally in any form.

this - a dismal plodding dirge.
Not really into covers myself, but my new neighbour (who is a proper impressive player) and I jam weekly, and are just messing around with a few - Heroes, La Grange, among others.
Quite fun, actually!

Scooter

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 5, 2012
Valid Location
I think I'd have more respect for a band that plays Mustang Sally and plays it fantastically well than I'd have for some backyard party/gazebo band that refuses to play it and is comprised of players who can't play for crap. And I've encountered both. But that's just my opinion.

And no, my band doesn't play Mustang Sally.

charlie chitlin

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
The Berkshires
I'm considering joining sort of a cool Sally band.
I know this 65-year-old African American guy recently transplanted from Chicago, who wants to put me in his band if he can whip everybody together post Covid.
He's a great guy, but all he wants to play is the Greatest Hits of Soul/R&B...Land of 1000 Dances, Mustang Sally, Chain of Fools, Soul Man, Knock on Wood....all great stuff, but I'm conflicted about being in a cover band playing standards...even if they're killer standards.
I normally play Blues...but I write it all. My last band (for 15 years) was all original.
I actually think Mustang Sally is such a great tune, I don't mind playing it.
I'll take it over Sweet Home Chicago and Messin' With The Kid any day of the week.
I've had to play those songs on pickup gigs WAY more than Mustang Sally.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
I know this 65-year-old African American guy recently transplanted from Chicago, who wants to put me in his band if he can whip everybody together post Covid.
He's a great guy, but all he wants to play is the Greatest Hits of Soul/R&B...Land of 1000 Dances, Mustang Sally, Chain of Fools, Soul Man, Knock on Wood....all great stuff, but I'm conflicted about being in a cover band playing standards...even if they're killer standards.
I normally play Blues...but I write it all. My last band (for 15 years) was all original.
I'll take it over Sweet Home Chicago and Messin' With The Kid any day of the week.
Do it! It sounds fun esp, if he can sing! I Played in a 10 piece Soul Review and it was one of the funest bands ever!

SalvorHardin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 1, 2020
Windsor Ontario
+1 for those same tunes.

hogrider16

Strat-Talker
Jul 26, 2017
Martinsburg, WV
You totally get my point! Being in the worst Sally band is better than being a plumber any day!
+1

When I was in college, back in the stone age, a guitarist friend and I formed a very successful Top 40/Disco band. We played out at least 3 or 4 nights a week. At college, we studied jazz. All of the "jazz" cats looked down on us like we were sell outs, while they worked in McDonalds and other non-music jobs because they weren't really at the point where they could compete for the good jazz gigs. I could make about $25 a day bussing tables at the pancake house for 10 hours, or $30 - $50 a night playing clubs for 4 hours. That's what I call a no-brainer.

hogrider16

Strat-Talker
Jul 26, 2017
Martinsburg, WV
If you don't want that gig, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
During the gig I just played Saturday, we ended up playing Mustang Sally...TWICE!

During our first set, a big crowd came in from a wedding party and requested it. We obliged, they danced. Then that crowd left in their limo, and then a new crowd wandered in for our last set, and THAT crowd requested Mustang Sally. We shrugged and played it again. Again, dance floor filled up.

The dance floor was full, the crowd was happy, the tip jar was full so the band was happy, the management loved it and wants us back immediately. I'm not seeing a problem here.