Have you ever been in a Sally Band?

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
My modelers (and DAWs) have onboard tuners... and i have a Peterson Strobo-Stomp too.
Never have i used a clip-on tuner, and don't ever intend to.
Call me a snob if you wish, but that's just how i roll.
:p
Every one of my 2 phones and 3 iPads has the Peterson strobe on it. I also use a Boss stage tuner on the floor. My old phone lives in my gigbag now. I use one iPad off my mic stand as a teleprompter/tuner

hogrider16

Strat-Talker
Jul 26, 2017
Martinsburg, WV
We're there to entertain the audience, not ourselves. I played in a band where the BL turned down $100 tip to play Foxy Lady because we'd already played it in the previous set. I left shortly after that; I have no patience for amateur hour.

If you're burned out on a song, try playing it right. Most musicians blame the song, but it's really their half-hearted, half-fast, lazy, sloppy playing that ruins the song. It's not the song that sucks, it's the bands who can't be bothered to learn it right.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
If you're burned out on a song, try playing it right. Most musicians blame the song, but it's really their half-hearted, half-fast, lazy, sloppy playing that ruins the song. It's not the song that sucks, it's the bands who can't be bothered to learn it right.
'Brick House' didn't suck... and i played my part impeccably.
The rest of the band played it right too, and played it well.
It just wasn't that interesting a guitar part, and i really didn't want to play it, or even hear it, anymore.
SO i went on to form my own band that played all originals that we developed though collective improv
during rehearsals, and that was a much more satisfying process and working situation, and much more
conducive to my musical growth.
There's nothing wrong with pleasing an audience, but not every musician wants to be an 'entertainer'
first and foremost.

Last edited:

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
All right! I confess! I did it! Stop the pain!
Uh, unless she's a friend of yours; then I love it.
The Linda Linda’s are great. The oldest girl in the band is 13. The drummer is 9. Let’s see your video from the band you were in when you were 12? Hahahaha. I’ve never met them but they have already been featured in a Hollywood feature film. No talent doesn’t get you that gig.

SalvorHardin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 1, 2020
Windsor Ontario
The Linda Linda’s are great. The oldest girl in the band is 13. The drummer is 9. Let’s see your video from the band you were in when you were 12? Hahahaha. I’ve never met them but they have already been featured in a Hollywood feature film. No talent doesn’t get you that gig.
If I can find it, I'll post it. But, I'd rather not.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
It's only sexist if you don't feel the same way about a male lead singer who doesn't play an instrument. ;)

This.

@SalvorHardin it depends. You may have encountered specific women who sing without playing instruments that aren't pulling their weight. There are men who do the same.

And there are singers (male and female) whose vocals are good enough that they pull their weight even without an instrument, and usually perform just as singers even if they can play one or more instruments. Jim Morrison, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Dolly Parton, Anthony Kiedis, Lady Gaga, Mick Jagger, Cher--these singers definitely pull their weight.

Personally, I think voice is an integral part of music. In some cases the vocals are MORE important than the instrumentation. But someone who can both sing and play is a double-threat who is worth that much more respect. Even if they're "just" playing rhythm or singing backup.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
This.

@SalvorHardin it depends. You may have encountered specific women who sing without playing instruments that aren't pulling their weight. There are men who do the same.

And there are singers (male and female) whose vocals are good enough that they pull their weight even without an instrument, and usually perform just as singers even if they can play one or more instruments. Jim Morrison, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Dolly Parton, Anthony Kiedis, Lady Gaga, Mick Jagger, Cher--these singers definitely pull their weight.

Personally, I think voice is an integral part of music. In some cases the vocals are MORE important than the instrumentation. But someone who can both sing and play is a double-threat who is worth that much more respect. Even if they're "just" playing rhythm or singing backup.
Aretha, Dolly, Gaga, Mick can all play piano and guitar. I suppose the others could play instruments too. Dolly is a great songwriter as well as the others.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Aretha, Dolly, Gaga, Mick can all play piano and guitar. I suppose the others could play instruments too. Dolly is a great songwriter as well as the others.

Indeed. They can play instruments, but for the most part choose not to in their performances. In part that's because they have other people in their bands who can play those same instruments as well or better. Mick Jagger can play guitar, but nobody thinks he's as good as Keef.

And in some cases it's because when they sing they also dance, as part of the performance. "Moves like Jagger" wouldn't be the same if he had an acoustic strapped to his chest through the whole show. Live music isn't just about what you hear, it's also what you see, what you feel. Live music is a spectacle. At least, it can be.

SalvorHardin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 1, 2020
Windsor Ontario
Indeed. They can play instruments, but for the most part choose not to in their performances. In part that's because they have other people in their bands who can play those same instruments as well or better. Mick Jagger can play guitar, but nobody thinks he's as good as Keef.

And in some cases it's because when they sing they also dance, as part of the performance. "Moves like Jagger" wouldn't be the same if he had an acoustic strapped to his chest through the whole show. Live music isn't just about what you hear, it's also what you see, what you feel. Live music is a spectacle. At least, it can be.
I'll have to give you that. I only hear, which is one reason my stage presence sucks.

zook

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 13, 2014
Cochise, Arizona
A Sally Band is a cover band that plays that region’s ten most over played cover songs. Every region has its own list of these songs with some overlapping. The term Sally comes for the most covered bar band song of all time Mustang Sally. That is the universal Sally Band tune. In a city like Denver you also have Brown Eyed Girl, Brickhouse and Shakey Ground. In Texas you have Tough Enough and in Ga it’s Whippin Post.

A cover band that plays some originals is not the same as an original band that does some covers. There’s nothing wrong with being in a Sally Band but it’s not nearly as fulfilling artistically than playing in an original band.

I prefer original bands but being in a Sally band is better than a real job any day.

You know Scott, the term "Sally" disrespects the band and musicians in the band. It's like any other label. I don't like it.

Winnie

mohnjossey

Strat-Talker
May 5, 2020
Rochester, NY

Have the Stones ever performed Moves Like Jagger? That would be some next level meta sh1t.

SalvorHardin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 1, 2020
Windsor Ontario
You know Scott, the term "Sally" disrespects the band and musicians in the band. It's like any other label. I don't like it.

Winnie
Oh come on! It's been an interesting topic. You're not one of those people who are offended by everything? Labelling is identifying, not shaming. I've played mostly in Sallybands all my life, as my writing style is basic crap. My life may be worthless in everything else, but when I get up and sing Mustang Sally, I own it while doing it.
And while I heard many homegrown original tunes, I can't say very many of them wow'd me anymore than my own. Even my wife can't be bothered looking for my CD, let alone my friends I gave a copy to.
In conclusion: I'm lucky to be a Sally man. That's all some of us can aspire to be.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga

Winnie
That’s your thin skinned problem. No disrespect, but If you think that it makes me a arse then you obviously don’t get me or my point, and I don’t care. I’ve been in many proud Sally bands and it’s not an insult any more than saying your in a Punk Band. Move on if you don’t like the discussion.

Your comment disrespects the song Mustang Sally.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga

At every Rolling Stones concert Mick plays guitar on several songs during the set. Lady Gaga plays the piano as well on several tunes. I get your valid point, however.

zook

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 13, 2014
Cochise, Arizona
That’s your thin skinned problem. No disrespect, but If you think that it makes me a arse then you obviously don’t get me or my point, and I don’t care. I’ve been in many proud Sally bands and it’s not an insult any more than saying your in a Punk Band. Move on if you don’t like the discussion.

Your comment disrespects the song Mustang Sally.

First of all, it's not a thin skinned problem of mine. I just dislike giving things names like that. You are over-reacting to my comment. You say no disrespect but you did disrespect my comment.

and I don't think that makes you an ass.

Latest posts