1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Have you ever heard of an "ARIANA" guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by axejock, Oct 14, 2020.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I keep finding these oddball looking "Strats" that are obviously cheapo, entry level instruments, but they can be excellent for projects. Can anyone give me a clue as to what these are (ie: when built, where sold, standard strat body size, etc.?? Any value?

ariana1.jpg ariana2.jpg ariana3.jpg

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Yes. They all come glued to a yellow door.

s5tuart, macoshark, Boognish and 7 others like this.
  3. fishermike

fishermike Strat-Talk Member

I hear they're just "Grande"!

4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Which model comes with a ponytail?

3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

The mister Ed.

3bolt79, axejock and Baelzebub like this.
  6. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

don't think it is very old, they are (were available) on Amazon

3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  7. axejock

All right, all right, I asked for that stuff....good comebacks. But by the way, the guitar comes with the yellow door, and I'm told that a ponytail is optional!! I actually think that it is a genuine 1954, all original Strat....the seller told me so! Sure hope the case is there too? I'll surely pay $65 for that!!

3bolt79 and simoncroft like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ya... really no value. Probably made on the line next to Glarry.
    Might be a decent student model for a young teen wo may not appreciate a $500+ instrument.
    Honestly, there's a lot of junk out there, but today's "junk" is much better than the cheap guitars of the 70s. Nearly everything these days is or can be made playable.

But for a GAS relief or someone who collects anything at or above Squier/Epiphone level? Pass.

9. Baelzebub

I think the '54's come with a gig bag. Check with Kenny.:whistling:

10. axejock

Darn, I was ready to buy! But my "developing theory" is that this was a very early "test strat" that was camoflauged to hide it's identity while it was being developed.

Baelzebub and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I think that Ariana is one of Aria’s budget brands. Probably on par with a Glarry

Baelzebub and axejock like this.
  12. Baelzebub

I think the camo ones have an "MX" serial to throw you off!:cool:

axejock likes this.
  13. axejock

OK, you "doubters"! I bought this thing today for $30. It's got to be worth that, even if I only use it for firewood! But the seller wouldn't include the yellow door or the optional ponytail. Darn!! But when I scratched on the "Ariana" name on the headstock, it was obvious that it was covering up an old "Fender" moniker that seals my assumption that this is one of the first, original Strats ever made and disguised so as to not draw attention when it was being "market tested". Boy, what find!! (LOL).
    But seriously, this thing has a full size strat body, a perfect neck with rosewood board, everything works, and even the plastics are in very good shape. I have no idea what I will do with it, but it sure is a good candidate for a custom build. I could call it the Grande!

14. axejock

These "cheapo" guitars can really have some weird features! Has anybody ever seen any "strat copy" with pickup routing like this???. Certainly something different....I can see no purpose for the way the routing is done, and it comes very close to going into the tremolo spring cavity. And the clearcoat finish is sort of just puddled in there. I assume this is original, but somebody could have modified it I suppose? But why would anybody take the time/effort to make the pickup cavity wide open and routed "multi-level" (the routing is pretty rough too). Makes no difference to me, but certainly weird.

CIMG1452.JPG CIMG1453.JPG CIMG1454.JPG CIMG1455.JPG CIMG1456.JPG

15. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

That's the "bathtub" or "swimming pool" route and was done on US made Fenders in the early 90s, as well as on Squier bodies.
    My mid-90s Squier was a plywood body with the bathtub route.
    The purpose of the route is to allow any pickup configuration to be used without the need for a custom body. For some reason, FMIC moved from the bathtub to the H-S-H route.
    The difference is this one dips down where the center pickguard mounting screw is, the Fender route is a clean rectangle.

The multi-level is for typical humbucker "legs". Gibsons are routed the same way, but only for 3/4" or so, but I don't think the US Fenders had that. I think my Squier did, but I don't recall.

But the Fender route did not penetrate into the tremolo cavity as this one does. Is that a full-thickness body?

NeckTenon.jpg

P1030559.JPG

axejock likes this.
  16. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Reminds me of my Grote $59 strat. Is it superlight?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    axejock likes this.
  17. axejock

Yes, this IS a full thickness body. I have no idea what kind of wood it is made out of, but it has some unique graining and it is quite heavy, which is surprising considering the "heavy routing". It's not plywood and seems quite "durable" for lack of a better word for wood strength. The neck pocket is also a little crudely routed and will require a shim at the end of the neck heel to make the neck mount level. It has cheap but properly functioning electrics (pots and pickups) but nothing that fits in that big "swimming pool" route requires all that extra depth. Strange. Oh, notice the oriental letters that were marked inside the cavity before finish.