Have you ever returned scratched gear to guiater center for repalce or repairs?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Raphael256, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-O-Master

Have you ever returned scratched gear to guiater center for repalce or repairs? Just been wondering. I am sending Squier Tele for BRidge repairs and i accidentaly made a 5 mm scratch at back of the body. Wonder how it will affect warranty

circles and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I wouldn't return a guitar for repairs unless it was completely unplayable, especially if it involved a shipping company. I'd get it sorted locally, if I couldn't do it myself.

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

If the bridge was messed up as a result of your interaction with the guitar Warranty does not cover that.

How did this bridge problem occur. Is it something you suddenly notice or did it develop or did you cause it?

Um I dont belive scratched stuff matters.

If your within warranty time and lets say you notice neck sprout, the warranty covers. Sharp frets also. If the bridge just broke on you as a result of a inproper manufacturing procces the warranty covers that.

If you ware down your guitars frets from play within a year they are not going to cover a dress and crown. Thats regular playing.

It only last a year so make sure to use it if you detect any issues with your guitar.

You wouldnt be able to return a guitar at that point for money. But the warranty would be able to cover any defects or abnormalities as a result of manufacturers error.

So no a scrathched guitar would not void warranty.....

I mean if your trying to replace a whole guitar because of a scratch thsts your fault but overall if there are issues with manufacturer product that they didnt oversee such as sharp frets, neck sprout, etc etc the warranty covers this.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-O-Master

Bridge screws are stripped i could not unscrew bridge. In future i wanted to replace pickups,, so i have cheked the bridge and tried to remove it once. Screw 2 and 3 are factory stripped and i could not unscrew them like 1st and 4th screw. When i was packing it back i scratched back of the body corner, about 5 mm line removed the paint.

The-Kid likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Getting those screw out is a simple job, but I doubt very much that they were stripped at the factory.

6. The-Kid

Warranty covers that.

If you have an issue with the GC guys or whatever store contact Fender but ussually they are pretty good on it.

Warranty is a benefit that comes with the product. I myself have gotten guitars that play perfectly and sound good short of a fret sprout, sharp edges, sharp frets etc but I go ahead and get it because warranty is there for the customer.....me.

When I play a guitar I mainly worry about sound and feel a bit less. If the guitar sounds good and the feel is 95% there short of something like sharp frets etc I go ahead and get because warranty is there to cover it and its a benefit for us as customers and it will get the guitar to 100% feel and it already sounding great you got one badass guitar.

Sometimes Ive almost not gotten a guitar because of a small defect like fret sprout and play guitars that are 100% right feel wise but they just dont have the sound 100%.

Playing alot Ive found that the main thing is the sound and if thats great you can get any guitar to feel 100% with a proper set up unless the neck is just warped out of the factory or there are some other major issues.

Just saying this for any potential buyers .....if you play a guitar and it sounds great but there is a manufacturer defect dont turn it away. Get it, have warranty cover it and boom problem solved and you got one great axe.

If it still just doesnt feel right and you got it fixed within a month of sale then take it back but for the most part everytime after a warranty work IME mainly involving fret work the guitar is so damn perfect I dont even think of taking it back if still within one month of purchase.

Raphael256 likes this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Squires have a two-year warranty, effective Jan 1 2017: https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/Fender-Squier

If the "neck sprout" resulted from misuse/mishandling of the guitar like leaving it in the trunk of your car or in your non-climate controlled house, in hot humid weather, or dry cold weather (like a Polish winter), then it may not be covered under warranty. The manufacturer retains the right to determine, and accept or refuse, the cause of the defect and whether it would be covered under warranty. I suspect one would need to contact Fender to describe the issue, and get a return authorization number before sending it back for warranty service.

The-Kid likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

The scratch won't make any difference if you are returning it for a bridge defect unless the two can be tied together to be related to the cause of the bridge defect, like prying up on it with a screwdriver.

Raphael256 likes this.
  9. The-Kid

Yeah I called Fender on the 23rd fo Dec.

They said it should be fine if I got it within this year. I always keep it in a case in my room when not in play as I want to keep this one prestine. 2018 model just got this year.

Has had sharp frets for some time and really havent gotten around to taking it in as I just really want to play the sucker so much. Now that its the holidays and I got a little bit of time I can take it in for service.

10. The-Kid

Also why do Fenders have a 1 year and Squiers a two year?!?!.!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Didn't know that was the case, but could be for several reasons. Maybe, they figure the odds of someone using warranty on Squier are lower, therefore no real impact; Could be just because they thought it would increase perceived value of lower-end guitars and therefore help sales, therefore increasing revenue far more than cost of any actual warranty work; Or most likely of all: "As it was, so shall it be" (or no rhyme nor reason, it's just that way).

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Probably just because they're not made in the US of A.

The-Kid likes this.
  13. The-Kid

I tested out like 4 classic series before settling on this one....all had some fret problem but this one called to me.

I also got this one because my other guitars where having input issues, scratcht pots and rather than just repair them I just got a new guitar. Would have taken this new one in immediately after purchase but I really just wanted to play it because my other guitars just werent working at the time.

Also got a 2015 that had similar issue 4 years ago and took it in as soon I purchased it for fret work.

Got bussy with work and life, now found some time to take it in and milk the warranty before its done.

What I dont get is how every squier had a perfect fret set up.....like everyone. I mean they got a good set up but just didnt sound as good, at any rate......

FML because I love this guitar and Ima not see it for a week or two which kind of pains me.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

I bought my Classic Vibe 50s Tele new a year ago. I haven't had to do anything to it, though for my own convenience I fitted and ElectroSocket jack cup.

Stratwrangler and The-Kid like this.
  15. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Strat-Talker

Probably because that’s what Cort is offering right now.

Please don’t return a guitar for stripped bridge screws. You’ll be without it for a while, and worse, if you’ve bonded with it, Fender may just send you a new one (with a new set of issues).

Fixing stripped screw holes is easy—you just need a dowel and a small bottle of wood glue. Anybody here can help you make the repair for less time and money than paying return shipping to Fender.

The-Kid likes this.
  16. The-Kid

They are pretty great price and dont sound bad and as for experience playing the things vs Classic Series and Vinteras the Classic Vibes, Squier Standards have near perfect fretwork.....

The MIMs definately did have more oohm and as a lover of vintage speced guitars they are practically the only option for me and despite the crap fretwork I still got it cuz of the warranty coverege. They look and the board feels much better after the edges are filed down profesionally by a genuine Fender tech under warranty.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

He's not stripped the holes, it's the screw heads that are rounded out. He has no luck with removing screws at all...

18. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Strat-Talker

Ah...but still, I doubt the factory did that. Would that be covered?

I’d still DIY it, or take it to a local shop. The same with the fret ends—try a cheap room humidifier for a few weeks. Otherwise, the next guitar is going to have sharp fret ends eventually too.

No local shop? Somebody somewhere does guitar work in their wood shop. Everybody needs a guitar person local. They’re worth finding.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

When I bought mine I played MIMs and MIAs in the shop and preferred the Classic Vibe all round. I've probably been filing down fret ends much longer than the Fender tech has. :)

brians and The-Kid like this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

As I said right up there ^^^

Diamond_Dave likes this.