Have you ever thought why you persisted with playing guitar when so many others just gave up?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Philo426, Jun 12, 2021.

1. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

That is the answer to so many of our problems. Unfortunately there are many cases where one cannot walk away (those who hate their jobs, but need the money).
    If you enjoy music, just enjoy listening to those who CAN play. After all, I've been playing 50 years, but I know Steve Winwood is never going to ask me to play "Had to cry today"!

Archtops and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Too dumb to quit.

3. snsn

snsn Strat-Talk Member

I first started playing when I was 13, got good enough to play WILD THING! Picked it up again when I was 50, thought I'd bring some music into the house ,to get the kids into some music...GAME BOY won! Now I'm 69 and learning a 3rd time...enjoying being a couch shredder.
    No gigs in the near future.....
    I once read the George Harrison said that even if I didn't play guitar, I have a STRAT s a door stop because it's so beautiful!

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I didn't have a choice. Giving up has never crossed my mind.

I didn't choose the guitar life, the guitar life chose me. :D

5. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

What I find interesting was even if you play just simple Barre or Cowboy chords,if you add delay and reverb it can sound pretty cool,especially if you arpeggiate them.

6. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

This is so true !!!
    I could not imagine a world without music !

Archtops, fattboyzz and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Most likely like this .

Archtops, Mouse, fattboyzz and 4 others like this.
  8. Stonetone

All the answers given are all awesome !

9. Stonetone

That quote 'I didn't choose the guitar life, the guitar life chose me' would make an Awesome T shirt
    and a great mantra to live by
    :)

10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

My dad played guitar, he had me strumming chords before I was out of diapers. I've never had a home without a guitar in it. Not once.

I don't know how to be anything but what I am. I count myself fortunate, I've never had to learn to live any other way.

11. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

I resemble that remark.
    When I started playing circa 1979 I was really concerned about the opinions of others. Life gets in the way and though I was conscious of my guitar-love, very little of me was devoted to it. Now I could give a rip if anyone but me appreciates my playing. As an educator/coach/mentor, I treat every exposure to a guitar to enjoy, or decompress, or learn.

12. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

they used to called me a quitter. That was 1966 when I was 11.
    I have played guitar every day since then.
    Call me a quitter? Up yours.
    Now I have two acoustics, a bass, a Strat , a Tele, two Les Pauls, ten blues harps (which I play well), a flute, and an electronic keyboard. I am proficient enough to earn $$ with these instruments and write.
    The past year in lock down I have written 200 songs.
    I AM NO QUITTER, apparently. :D

13. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

To build on my previous post, my journey is still stumbling along.
    I now have 4 grandchildren (with number 5 on the way). My 3 grandaughters all have shown interest in my playing and love to "help" me play. My wife (who leans towards keyboards) has always had a toy keyboard for them. The oldest granddaughter (now 4) can bang out the major scale on that keyboard. I'm now going to let her use my Bullet Mustang to learn one finger chords. (I installed a Squier Mustang neck on a Bullet Strat and repositioned the bridge) After that...we'll see.
    Legacy...part of the story.

14. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Yup. Legacy. My 42 year old took it up last year. He’s pretty good now. Won’t take lessons from me, only tips! :)

15. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I honestly couldn't imagine quitting. For me to quit, it would take an act of God. I'd have to lose all of my guitars and every guitar on the planet would have to vanish into thin air for me to quit.

If I just lost my 3, that wouldn't change anything. I'd just get another one and keep playing. Lol.

That's actually kinda crazy. I don't know that I've ever been this dedicated to anything before this.

16. Wound_Up

Nice! I bought mine at 38. Tried to convince my dad to learn with me but he likes listening to music more than playing. Ahhh well. I tried.

17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

My dad would be 87 this year if he were still with us. He loved music. Just loved it but was a classical music guy and didn't take any interest in my guitar playing at all. He knew it was my greatest love but we had other shared interests that kept us close.

The one time my dad commented on my playing was when I was a teenager and he was the parent of said teenager. We did not get along in those days. It was about midnight and I couldn't sleep so I was quietly practicing the intro to YES Roundabout (which I had just learned). My dad hopped out of bed, threw the door open and yelled down the hall "turn off that damned radio!". My dad thought my playing was the radio; mighty high praise :thumb:

18. Wound_Up

That's great! Lol Yea me and Dad like the same sort of music so there's that. He's 69 this year. I even got him listening to Buckethead lol. He said he would even go see Bucket live if he came in town lol!

19. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I have the same in reverse. I broke my finger last year and bought a keyboard so I could make sounds with it. I would imagine stuff on the fretboard then (laboriously) work it out on the keyboard. It was the same but very different, like two different perspectives on the same mountain.

Archtops, fattboyzz and Stevn like this.
  20. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I was the drummer and my older brother by 15 months was the guitar player in our band that played a bunch of our high school dances after football games and basketball games. We planned to go the Van Halen route and stick together and attempt to make a career of it. All of a sudden one day after he graduated and I was a senior he comes home and tells us he joined the Air Force and that he would leave the day after Christmas. I’m stubborn and was upset that what I thought was going to be our life was upended instantly. I bought a Squier Bullet Strat and decided to play mainly so I could write songs since he wouldn’t be there anymore. As soon as I was able to make a decent sound I loved it. I think I was able to stick with it through the frustration of learning because I had already gone through the process with drums. Also I was only looking a little bit ahead of where my skills were to push myself finding satisfaction in every stage of development. First it was to play barre chord progressions smoothly so I could make up simple punk rock songs. Next was to be able to play as good as Elvis played on his ‘68 Comeback Special. My next goal was always within a realistic expectation as long as I put in the work. I still push my playing forward that way. Over the years playing guitar has allowed me to become a better listener as a drummer and being able to understand guitar and drums has made it really fun to play bass!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021