Having a senior moment...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by SpeedKing, Jul 13, 2021.

1. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Dear god I'm getting old ... or just more stupid of course

We've had a week or so now of hot and very humid weather here (unusual) and I find that the tiny amount of relief I had on all my strats has disappeared. Fret a string at the 1st fret and say the 19th and the string is now touching in the middle of the neck .. at say the 9th fret. No relief and consequently now some buzzing on some strings.

Ok so I need to add a little relief back in but my newest neck is my first with a vintage style truss and for some reason I feel I need to check here before adjusting. So, single action vintage style at the body ...

Should I be turning it anticlockwise to slacken it off and add some relief back? When I adjust my bullet truss 70's reissues that's the way I'd do it (righty tighty, lefty loosey) but then I'm looking down rather than up the neck.

PS. I know, I know. Don't start!

Nate D likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Wherever the truss rod is, at some point you have to put the hole or truss rod access in front of you - so you're looking right down at it. Either way, it's always left to loosen, and right to tighten when looking at it from that perspective......lefty loosy righty tighty....

3. SpeedKing

Thanks mate.

.... as I say, a senior moment. I guess I just needed someone to hold my hand for a second!

Oh and as an aside I don't think I've mentioned it before but it's very nice to have you back.

4. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

At the risk of asking a stupid question: If you rotate clockwise the top of the screw goes right and the bottom goes left. What does turning ‘left’ mean?

Tremoluxer likes this.
  5. SpeedKing

Right = clockwise

Left = anticlockwise

The start point is 12 o'clock if you've orientated the clock correctly and it's the right way up to read.... so right moves you towards 1 o'clock (clockwise) whilst left would take you to 11 o'clock (anticlockwise).

6. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Fun stuff

09295DEF-D5BC-41DD-B190-F2FDA386F709.jpeg D41728D6-1C3A-422A-B026-5EE4DD66310F.jpeg C93AE8EC-4A2C-479B-AC8F-BAF21BF1F585.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Eligius1976 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Please use common sense.

nadzab, Caddy and Nate D like this.
  8. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

In the UK it means you're likely to be in a roundabout.

nadzab, Wrighty, TOL-STRAT and 5 others like this.
  9. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

I concur wholeheartedly.

10. Malurkey

My apologies. I didn’t think it self-evident that there are two six-hour periods in the day that are superior to the other two. In hindsight it must be clear that ‘up’ is quite literally the superior half of the clock face.

11. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Clockwise should always pull the neck back (less relief). I've decided to avoid "loosen" and "tighten" terminologies myself after running into a dual action truss rod.

12. Guitarmageddon

I don't even know what to say about this. Sorry to the OP for derailing this thread, but frivolous posts like these need to be addressed. And no this isn't personal @Malurkey I just can't even in a million years imagine someone not understanding what I meant....

WHICH WAY are you turning a screwdriver when you remove a screw. Counter-clockwise. Which way is the SCREWDRIVER spinning? to the LEFT.....WHICH WAY DO YOU TURN YOUR HAND AND FINGERS....LEFT.....

100% obvious....

If you grab somebody's nipple to do a purple nurple and use your left arm/hand, and grab the nipple and turn it left....that's counter-clockwise.....

Semantics about comparing it to a 24 hour clock are ridiculous

13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Was a titty twister where I grew up! :D

14. Malurkey

No Ryan. You do the same thing here.

When you turn a screwdriver counterclockwise the top of the screwdriver turns to the left, the bottom turns to the right, the left side turns down, the right side turns up.

It may be common knowledge where you are from that counterclockwise is ‘left’, because the top moves left.

But common knowledge is not common sense. It’s like berating someone for not being able to deduce from first principles on which side they drive in Japan.

15. Guitarmageddon

Yes, I would berate someone for not knowing they drive on the left in Japan.....because everyone should know that. It was right side like most of North America, and in 1978 it returned back to the right after they became fully independent again. How did I find that out? By doing a simple 30 second google search.

The same goes for posting about any subject here without doing a simple google search....

You have confirmed my point exactly - I am not responsible for anyone else's ignorance, and there a whole lot of ignorant people around.

I make my posts and replies EXTRA clear to avoid just this very sort of thing. Your reply to me was not in any way constructive or helpful to the OP. You just wanted to be correct about something. If you have trouble understanding what I mean with my posts and replies, I don't have time for you.

Cornfield time.

And...people wonder why the heck I left this place in December by purposely acting in a way that got me a ban?? I mean come on....I've only been back here for SIX WEEKS and already the BS is piled higher than it ever was before.

SonOfLerome, Baelzebub and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

after reading that..maybe it’s best for you to bring the guitar to a tech..any tech...even a guitar center tech on his first day of the job :D

Baelzebub and Guitarmageddon like this.
  17. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

There is NO right or left, it’s clockwise and counter clockwise, right and left just do not exist when you talk about rotation

18. Guitarmageddon

This has gotten ridiculous. Stick an allen key into a headstock adjust truss rod nut. You stick in the short part, and the long part sticks up. You use that as a handle to turn the key. WHICH direction do you turn the key to loosen the rod when looking down the neck toward the guitar body?? Which way does the long sticking up part of the allen key go? to the LEFT.

It's impossible to put in an allen key and turn it to the RIGHT to loosen a truss rod. When you do that, you're tightening it.

Caddy and Baelzebub like this.
  19. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

^ Depends which side of the Allen key you're looking from...

Getting back to the OP's question...

With the Allen key in the truss rod nut, when looking from the tuners towards the body, turn clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to loosen.

Tightening the truss rod will make it straighter, loosening will increase the concave bow (neck moves away from the strings) in the middle.

Remember to slacken all your strings, make the adjustments no more than about a quarter turn at a time. Retune (don't bother to intonate yet) test, measure the neck relief,, and repeat as necessary. Now reutune, set the string heights, retune again, and finally intonate.

Then give up the guitar as a f'n annoying piece of sh#t and take up something easy, like the bagpipes, instead.

Baelzebub likes this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

post deleted - I was responding to the wrong person. My mistake.

Attached Files: