Hazy sky here in CT?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rockon1, Sep 15, 2020.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

2. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

Yesterday was the first day I could see a faint ridge line beyond 100 yards from my kitchen window. But driving 5 miles towards the south (Oregon City) or west (into Portland) it was still pretty bad.

Zero wind for days now. Never seen anything like this. My place is pretty windy normally and it’s just nuthin’. How in the world can we have no wind for days on end?

On a good note lots of Oregon towns are back to no danger :thumb:. Sis is home now and my moms care facility is opening back up tomorrow in Silverton :):):)! It will be nice not having to answer the same questions 500 times a day and really looking forward to the break :confused:.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

No Grouse hunting, the fires ran me out....
    We were in Boise yesterday and definitely bad. Unfortunately worse in Weiser because we are so close to the Woodhead fire...:(

4. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

I live in CA and have been evacuated 4 times and had full-bore fire within 100 yards of my home twice. And I don't live in a forested or otherwise rural area. I know several people who have died because of these wildfires. Decades ago, a serious one would break out once in a while, somewhere in the state. Now it is always, and everywhere. Nobody needs to debate climate change when you can see that the climate has changed because the whole place is in flames -- again. And again.

fishermike and ukoldgit like this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-O-Master

The weather report here says spending the day out in this is the same as smoking a pack of cigarettes over the same period.

rockon1, circles and jrbirdman like this.
  6. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Odd weak,pale sunrise...

[​IMG]

MrNeutron and TIMB like this.
  7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow.

I'm inside, and my eyes are burning and I have a little runny nose. My heart is broken for all the wildlife destroyed and suffering.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Man, I hope this stuff goes away soon. I feel for everyone suffering from the smoke, no matter where.

One sad thing here in OR (similar in CA and WA) is the thermal/heat column that goes up when you have this much land on fire. That much heat will pretty much keep any "normal" amount of rain away from the fire. We need abour 3-4 days of torrential downpour, and my phone's weather program shows the possibility of some thundershowers in a day or two. We do not need the lightning from such storms blowing by.

Last I heard when we first got back home, we normally lose about 500,000 acres in an ENTIRE fire season here in OR. We lost over 300,000 acres in a week with this. And a lot of it was set by men, or indirectly caused by the governmental mismanagement of having too much fuel.

I took a kinda chronological order of pics of the smoke from a fire about 10 miles away, as we were leaving Sandy, OR, and when I would come back every coupla days to check on my house, honey bees, yard and such. Each day, the smoke got a bit worse. The last one is of my road I live on, view from my back deck (mailboxes in that one), and what I'm breathing when I venture outside to pick up limbs and rake leaves away from the house.

IMG_20200909_152535042_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200910_154555068_HDR.jpg IMG_20200911_090634637.jpg IMG_20200912_132541722.jpg

I hope that you, and your home are all okay, @The Strat Dude . My wife & I drove thru Eagle Creek to Estacada to donate clothes yesterday. Ran into a couple of buddies I used to work with who live there. Everyone at the Cazdero "Commad Center" that I spoke with seemed hopeful this will eventually be contained. If we get no rain, let's pray for no wind as well, I guess. Unless it blows the fire back into itself.......

After working on my property for an hour or so, it feels like I've developed a "2 Pack a day" smoking habit. Came back inside and thought about playing "Smoke On The Water", but thought better of that......

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Deafsoundguy and The Strat Dude like this.
  9. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Estacada is better, downgraded to a level 2 evacuation. Looking forward to having a celebratory all clear and the fire and smoke are gone beverage soon.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

the sky has been a weird hazy white in NH the last couple of days.

TIMB likes this.