Head Phone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by jbylake, Sep 24, 2021.

1. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Can anyone recommend some fairly decent head phones that aren't super crazy expensive. I prefer the closed ear type. I'll be using them for very amateur recording and plugging into amp heads that have an output for headphones for neighbor relations. :D

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'd be so glad to follow the recommends
    Cause
    At this hour of my life i hate phones...
    Heavey
    make my ears itch
    And
    Sometimes don't care if I bother anyone
    Krissake
    I'm
    Bout dead
    But
    Please help OP
    And
    Mebee mois

3. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

I asked the same question of a professional recording tech. He recommended the AudioTechnica ATH-M40x
    Good damping, not too much bass, easy seating on the head. Some advice from me: generally ear pads are often made of a leather type material. These stick unpleasantly to the skin after some hours or in a hot place. Order some cheap aftermarket velour cushions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

depends on whether you want "monitors" or not.

Had Sennheiser momentum m2's for about a decade now, and it's time for a new set of M3's.
    Still faultless except for the cushions, which as I have learned are not user-serviceable. Shame really.

Have PXC550-II's as well but they are more isolating and have a more firm-fit. I don't wear them for 'relaxation', but if I need to be active, these would be the preferred.

Had audio technicas until 2010. Perfectly acceptable, until like everything else, the earpads disintegrated and unable to get replacements.

That is the only annoying thing about modern society. built in obsolescence and wasteful manufacturing.

Still have them, but can't get pads. **** me off no end.

5. gutshank

gutshank Strat-Talker

I bought Plantronics GO 810 for my wife, nothing too fancy but solid nevertheless. They used to be quite expensive, but the price was reduced.

6. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talk Member

I got the Sony MDR7506 Closed-back Studio Headphones for $100 from Sweetwater. I can wear them for hours. Comfortable and excellent sound quality.

7. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Quality end Sennheiser or Grado if money is no object. Also great for listening to a decent stereo in the dark.

Otherwise just about anything will do.

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

You don’t say what expensive is.

Some MDR 7506 in the “not expensive to me” category.

9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

The IMPEDANCE of the headphones is "everything" once you decide on open or closed back cans.

High impedance headphones (like 300 ohm) are for when you have a real headphone amp to drive them. Yes, they will play if you plug them into your phone or portable, but they will have poor dynamics and sound flat.

Low impedance (like 16 or 30 ohm) will play great from low power sources.

Kids will buy a pair of Sennheiser 650s and then say they sound crappy plugged into their laptop, which does not have the jism to fully drive them.

JB74 and Buzzgrowl like this.
  10. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Sony MDR V6 (Dang similar if not identical to Sony MDR7506). I use them for all tracking and sometimes mixing.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/sony/mdr-v6.htm

From site:
    Versus the Sony MDR-7506

This MDR-V6 is the original version of the world's most popular professional headphone, the Sony MDR-7506, which is just a slight cosmetic variation with an added presence peak. They each sell for about the same price, depending which is on sale that week.

I prefer the sound of this MDR-V6 over the MDR-7506 for music enjoyment, while the 7506 has more of a presence peak that might be more helpful ferreting out noise for live monitoring. The 7506 outsells this V6, but not for any particular reason other than Sony promoting it more.

While all the specifications appear the same and the only difference appears to be the 7506's gold-color plugs and saying "PROFESSIONAL" in blue instead of "for DIGITAL" in red, this MDR-V6's frequency range is rated as 5 ~ 30,000 Hz, while the 7506 is rated only as 10 ~ 20,000 Hz, and I greatly prefer this V6's smoother response over the 7506's more peaked response.

This MDR-V6 sounds great for music, while the 7506 is optimized more to highlight noise, distortion and recording defects. Both have great and somewhat boosted deep bass. Don't mix or master with these, since your mixes will be a bit thin. Use Stax or the Beyer DT 880.

DancesWithWeasels and StratoMutt like this.
  11. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

1. Note what vid1990 said.

2. Beyer, Senn, AKG or AT are all good. Choose from the "studio recording" models, not hifi audio.

12. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

From a similar thread some weeks ago…

13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I have the MDR-V6 from the early 90s. Superb. I'd imagine the MDR-7506 are even better.

14. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Grados are all open back me thinks. I have the SR325e. Stunning imwo.

15. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. I bought a set of ATH-M50X's which would cover both bases for me, listening to my amps that have outputs for 1/4" and the 3.5mm jacks. Should also work with my recording set up. Thanks.
    J.

16. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Cloth-eared nincompoop Silver Member

Unfortunately new MDR-V6's are hard to get now. You can find them on ebay but you'll pay a fortune for new in the box.

I recently managed to snag a used pair off ebay for $100. I think I got lucky-- they're in lovely mint condition but oddly lacking the glossy red "for Digital" side stickers. There's no indication they ever had the stickers-- maybe a promotional pair or something? Beats me.